PDA

View Full Version : I am sorry, Australians, but I laughed...

mmd
09-25-2018, 04:16 PM
I was reading headlines from one of my shipping industry newsfeeds and laughed when I saw this one:

Damen Galati floats out Australia's new icebreaker

"RSV Nuyina will be able to break 1.65 m thick ice at a continuous speed of 3 knots."

Pardon me, but whaaat?!!

Australia is hot. Really hot, according to all that I have read. It doesn't even get icebergs floating up from Antarctica. What the heck does it need with an icebreaker?

Then I read that the ship is designed to supply Australia's three research stations in Antarctica.

Oh...

Carry on.

https://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=30542:damen-galati-floats-out-australias-new-icebreaker&Itemid=231

Hallam
09-25-2018, 05:32 PM
..........it's good for the health to have something to laugh about and if it's because we have a new icebreaker, so be it.
Two of my friends have done a year at Mawson station in Antarctica and its always interesting when the talk about the their work there.
The CSIRO's antarctic division occupies a dock at Hobart's water front just next to where the Wooden Boat Festival is held. Aurora Australis, the present ice breaker is based there.

gypsie
09-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Not to mention the odd rescue mission in those frigid southern waters. Not many countries close by to call for help when it goes to poo.