PDA

View Full Version : Trump evokes laughter at UN

Jim Bow
09-25-2018, 11:05 AM
The world just laughed out loud at Donald Trump. On Tuesday, during the president's address to the United Nations General Assembly, the audience laughed when Trump boasted that "my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country."
As soon as the words left Trump's mouth, a ripple of laughter traveled through the crowd and grew as Trump reacted to the guffaws.
Taken aback, he said, with the smallest of grins, "It's so true... I didn't expect that reaction but it's okay."
Later, too, the German delegation also was caught laughing at Trump when he asserted the country would be fully dependent on Russian energy unless they "immediately change course."

https://mashable.com/video/donald-trump-un-assembly-laughs/#4WWkETqCAiqt

Ian McColgin
09-25-2018, 11:09 AM
It's rather nice that our leader can bring a little laughter into the world.

Jim Mahan
09-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Best for him. Tough love. Perfect. He will stew. He's not used to being anything but adored by the crowds he picks. Watch for a tantrum. Cover your tweeter. Or wear a splash guard. I sincerely hope he does what he brags about, hitting back twice as hard. What's the sound of one hand clapping in a fog?

OR, he could have an epiphany, becoming just dreadfully embarrassed and stepping down, admitting his guilt and acknowleging his defeat.

Un huh.

Yuk yuk yuk.

There's just not enough opprobrium to heap on him, bless his heart.

Paul Pless
09-25-2018, 11:11 AM
douchebag

birlinn
09-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Yep- Trump's America is being laughed at by the rest of the world.,
Must admit I laughed too when I saw the video.
Video now on BBC.

Keith Wilson
09-25-2018, 11:19 AM
I'd laugh too if that goddamned pathetic fool wasn't the president of my county. :mad:

Paul Pless
09-25-2018, 11:20 AM
what was the point of that speech anyways?

Jim Mahan
09-25-2018, 11:21 AM
In my current book on the rise of alt-America and trmp, the author is just now recounting his, trmp's, debacle at the White House Foreign Press dinner, when Obama embarrassed him over the birther business. The orange glow seemed to get a bit more intense just as the rest of the jolly crowd was getting the president's comic point. I remember watching and the early speculation had been that maybe that was what set the idot on his quest for the White House and the help of certain Putins.

It really is too bad that we don't have a modern equivalent of Shakespeare to turn these current events into a tragic comic farce for the ages. Three hundred years from now, anyone left will be talking about it the way we mention Punch and Judy.

birlinn
09-25-2018, 11:24 AM
Could you imagine Obama, or even any other previous President, coming up with such self-congratulatory bullpoo?

birlinn
09-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Do you think that Geng will realise why the rest of the world is laughing at the Stable Genius?

Paul Pless
09-25-2018, 11:40 AM
i see what you did there :D

the problem is laughing at people like geng only reinforces their entrenchment into anti elitist conservatism

birlinn
09-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Geng. And Trump.

LeeG
09-25-2018, 11:49 AM
I listened to eight minutes of it. What came across is it’s us versus the world, you guys took advantage of us and that’s all changing now, and the ICC is poopy.

My parents would be aghast at what has happened to the country that elected Trump.

S.V. Airlie
09-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Do you think that Geng will realise why the rest of the world is laughing at the Stable Genius?Nope!

LeeG
09-25-2018, 11:58 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/china-says-the-us-isholding-a-knife-to-our-neck-in-trade-war/2018/09/25/1d0d4f58-c0a6-11e8-92f2-ac26fda68341_story.html?utm_term=.1f99a3eaf331

Many analysts here say that Trump has left Beijing with little room to maneuver. Announcing the latest round of tariffs, the president warned that he would slap duties on the remaining $267 billion worth of products that China exported to the United States if Beijing tried to retaliate.

“It’s like saying, ‘I’m going to hit you in the face, and if you fight back, I’m going to hit you some more,’ ” said Yu Yongding, a senior researcher at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. “How can they expect Chinese diplomats to go to the United States to negotiate? It’s too much.”

Liu He, China’s point man on trade negotiations with the United States, had been expected to travel to Washington this week for talks with officials from the Treasury Department and Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. However, the trip was scrapped as the war of words and tariffs escalated.

“Trump thought he could bully China into kowtowing to him. But that’s a very stupid strategy,” Yu said.

LeeG
09-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Bikes are too cheap anyway. Better buy your bike now, it only went up 10%, later it’ll be 25%. I wonder what kind of bike the Donald has bought his kids.
This Christmas will be a lesson for Alvins Common Man.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2018/09/21/wisconsin-feels-sting-trade-war-trek-bicycle-farmers/1381287002/

From bicycles to beans, Wisconsin and much of the nation are caught in the crossfires of President Donald Trump’s trade war.

Starting Monday, the Trump administration will begin taxing $200 billion more in Chinese goods. The tariffs will start at 10 percent and rise to 25 percent in 2019.

The product list is huge, and it includes goods from some of Wisconsin’s most well-known companies, such as Waterloo-based Trek Bicycle Corp.

If Trump delivers on the 25 percent tariff, Trek says it would pay an additional $30 million in tariffs each year on bikes imported from China.

Trek will be forced to pass these costs on to the consumer,” Roger Gierhart, Trek's vice president of marketing and supply chain, said in recent testimony before the U.S. International Trade Commission.

The bicycle industry depends heavily on Asian manufacturing, with more than 90 percent of bikes coming from China, according to industry figures.

“Trek is no different, and our company manufactures significant portions of its products in China,” Gierhart said.

The company’s most popular bikes, including Marlins, FX hybrids, Dual Sports and Verves, are made exclusively in China for the American market.

Trek’s children’s bikes are all from China, along with its bicycle helmets.

“At least 40 percent of imported bicycle components are sourced from China,” Gierhart said.

Overall, the U.S. bicycle industry accounts for $81 billion in annual consumer spending.
With an additional 25 percent tariff, the average retail price for a bicycle sold in a bike shop would increase from $500 to $625, according to Huffy.

The average retail price for a bike sold in a department store, like Walmart, would jump from $100 to $125.

“These are extraordinary price increases for middle-class Americans who make up the clear majority of our riders. This proposed tariff will have a devastating impact on bicycle sales as consumer demand will plummet,” Huffy President and CEO Bill Smith said in a recent statement to U.S. trade officials.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/20/electric-bicycle-companies-trump-tariffs/

So what does the future hold?

If talking with so many e-bike companies has shown me anything, it’s that no one really knows what will happen. In fact, I’m not even sure the White House knows what the future of these tariffs will be.

But it is not complicated to see the detrimental effects that these policies very likely could cause. Simple high school AP Economics taught me that this won’t be good for either China or the US in the long-term. Even if a country can produce multiple items better or cheaper than another country can produce them, it is always in both countries’ best interest to focus their resources on their most skilled areas, and trade with other countries for the products they can’t produce as well domestically.

That’s not my opinion, that’s the basic principle of Macroeconomics, and was explained well by the New York Times recently in relation to the current Trump trade war.

Those who mess with free trade are usually the ones who don’t understand it. And in the end, it won’t be the governments that pay the price. It will be citizens.

https://www.marinij.com/2018/09/24/marin-bike-dealers-feel-squeeze-of-tariff-vise/

Amid a U.S.-China trade war, Ken Martin, CEO of the Novato-based Mike’s Bikes, said the bicycle industry is scrambling to find suppliers outside of China.

“It’s a mad dash right now to try to cozy up to Taiwan factories to secure production spots,” Martin said before heading to Taichung, Taiwan, this week to meet with partners.

Although a majority of products sold at Mike’s Bikes shops are not manufactured in China, Martin said he’s not waiting to see the impact of the newly imposed tariff’s on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods, including about $1 billion on bicycle products. A 10 percent tariff went into effect Monday, a hike that will rise to 25 percent in 2019.

“The 10 percent increase was worrisome,” Martin said. “The 25 percent is a deal killer.”

Out of about 15.4 million bicycles that are imported into the United States, more than 14 million come from China, according to PeopleForBikes, an industry coalition based in Boulder, Colo.
Quoc Phan, co-owner of Tam Bikes in Mill Valley, said representatives of Yuba Bikes, a Cotati-based e-bike company, have already told him that the next shipment of bikes will come with a 25 percent price increase. Those bikes already run between $3,600 and $4,700, Phan said.

Phan said that stores like his don’t have the luxury of shifting its production outside of China: “We have brands that we like and sell, and they set the prices,” he said.

birlinn
09-25-2018, 12:06 PM
OK., Mr President, that was fake news. They were not laughing, but cheering- the video was fake too.
Now just take this sedative, and we'll soon have you tucked up in your cosy bed in the White House.

Canoez
09-25-2018, 12:06 PM
It really is too bad that we don't have a modern equivalent of Shakespeare to turn these current events into a tragic comic farce for the ages. Three hundred years from now, anyone left will be talking about it the way we mention Punch and Judy.

Yannow, we have The Onion today. It's sad when you can't tell the difference between news reports and The Onion.

Gerarddm
09-25-2018, 12:22 PM
Migod. Can you imagine ANY American president being laughed at by the world at the UN General Assembly. MAGA, Pure BS. That a moronic buffoon is our current dis a disgrace, but then you know that already. Except for our resident regressives.

Who, BTW, do not care for the world's opinion. How so I know? Because Sky Blue and Noyes said so. I'll go with Stephen Maturin, however, who noted that nothing was surer than a village's collective opinion.

BTW, he missed his allocated time slot because of tardiness. Jeesh. Long are we past having a ' regard for the decent opinions of mankind '.

Old Dryfoot
09-25-2018, 12:23 PM
I hope the entire UN does it again, laughing their asses off until Two Scoops has an aneurysm right there on stage.

LeeG
09-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Trump is an idiot.

https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/10-25-Percent-Tariffs-FINAL-List-of-Affected-Products.pdf

LeeG
09-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
We need a President who isn't a laughing stock to the entire World. We need a truly great leader, a genius at strategy and winning. Respect!
3:30 AM - Aug 9, 2014

robm
09-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Can China afford to embargo the US? Just not sell anything there? Or does the world's second largest economy need the largest to survive? An eyeball estimate of some stats on the internet, it looks like US trade is about 25% of their total export trade. That would be a pretty short haircut to have to take. And it would mean dumping contracts with dozens of US companies who depend on China for manufacturing, from Apple to Stanley/Black and Decker tools. Walmart would empty overnight, if they could pull it off.

John Smith
09-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Question:

Does he actually believe what he says, or does he know he's lying?

C. Ross
09-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Trying to channel a Trumpist:

Trump's speech was a triumph. His administration is winning every day: promises made, promises kept. The jackals at the UN can't handle his success. He's doing magnificently. He waded into the swamp of globalism rejected it in favor of America First. The Dems can't handle it.

More seriously, what a ridiculous load of crap our President just forked out.

john welsford
09-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Industrialists in Taiwan, India and Thailand will be rubbing their hands together, they're all major manufacturers of items like bicycles and would love not to have to compete with China in the worlds largest consumer market.

John Welsford

birlinn
09-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Any tweets from The Orange One yet about his UN triumph?

LeeG
09-25-2018, 02:34 PM
“You funny man”

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1044603087699226624/video/1

Figment
09-25-2018, 04:06 PM
What do we call the act of laboriously reading aloud from a teleprompter? Can't really call it a "speech", can we?

At one point when he was quite transparently bored to tears by what he was reading-aloud, the camera cut to a shot of Pence and Haley at the US delegation table... Haley looked like she wanted to rush the stage and dopeslap her CINC.

Figmental
09-25-2018, 04:19 PM
He sounds like he is drugged to me. The flatness and lack of connection to what he is reading from a teleprompter makes me think he's doped up. Herr Miller is pounding out this stuff for him and he trusts Miller to deliver, therefore the sleepwalking quality of his getting it over with. He is sure he deserves praise no matter the performance given. I am so over this faker.

LeeG
09-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Question:

Does he actually believe what he says, or does he know he's lying?

He believes it when he says it. He can say something totally contradictory and believe that.

PeterSibley
09-25-2018, 04:53 PM
Trump is an idiot.

https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/10-25-Percent-Tariffs-FINAL-List-of-Affected-Products.pdf

The coming mid terms will see whether America as a whole is any smarter than Trump.

gypsie
09-25-2018, 05:15 PM
An audience of world leaders is a different place to a school gym full of Maga hats - and he did not know that.

That is what got the laugh.

skuthorp
09-26-2018, 01:25 AM
Can China afford to embargo the US? Just not sell anything there? Or does the world's second largest economy need the largest to survive? An eyeball estimate of some stats on the internet, it looks like US trade is about 25% of their total export trade. That would be a pretty short haircut to have to take. And it would mean dumping contracts with dozens of US companies who depend on China for manufacturing, from Apple to Stanley/Black and Decker tools. Walmart would empty overnight, if they could pull it off.
If any country in the world can China can. And the population would be right behind their government too, a patriotic belt tightening, though maybe the rich party aparatchics would not appreciate the strictures.
And China would never forgive the US and any of it's supporters. Choices would have to be made and It would indeed make the world a dangerous place.

obscured by clouds
09-26-2018, 04:02 AM
It really is too bad that we don't have a modern equivalent of Shakespeare to turn these current events into a tragic comic farce for the ages.

Maybe we do;
Armando Iannucci
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armando_Iannucci

Peerie Maa
09-26-2018, 04:40 AM
The coming mid terms will see whether America as a whole is any smarter than Trump.

If this holds true
"Every nation gets the government it deserves."
then no America is not.

mswindell
09-27-2018, 11:41 PM
If you are paying $4000 for a bike you can afford another $300, now many people buy yuppie bikes? Probably the same morons that pay Apple $1000 for a $400 phone.

Old Dryfoot
09-27-2018, 11:49 PM
Ummm, 25% of $4000 is $1000. And. . . it's all bikes, regardless of what they cost.

I'm guessing that you also think that the people selling and repairing bikes can just go pound sand, right?

LeeG
09-28-2018, 01:15 AM
If you are paying $4000 for a bike you can afford another $300, now many people buy yuppie bikes? Probably the same morons that pay Apple $1000 for a $400 phone.

If you are a young parent that was planning on getting a first new kids bike from a bike shop and not Walmart you’ll probably pay more than 25% more for it in 2019 compared to a very cheap bike from Walmart. Not talking about Yppie bikes bought by a demographic from the 80’s. Whether It’s a simple $250 bike from a bike shop or cheap $125 bike from Walmart you’ll notice the difference. Just like people buying washing machines will notice the difference. Yuppie or not.

PeterSibley
09-28-2018, 02:09 AM
Will those hurting from Trump's trade war still vote for him or reconsider ?

RFNK
09-28-2018, 03:18 AM

Exactly.

Rick

birlinn
09-28-2018, 03:31 AM
Someone here mentioned it was like watching the Madness of King George.
Mrs Birlinn said 'yes, but that had better actors'.
Trump must be the dumbest politician since Caligula made his horse a consul. The other stable genius?

oznabrag
09-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Someone here mentioned it was like watching the Madness of King George.
Mrs Birlinn said 'yes, but that had better actors'.
Trump must be the dumbest politician since Caligula made his horse a consul. The other stable genius?

Bravo, good sir!

BRAVO!!!