PDA

View Full Version : Do you think

bluedog225
09-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Trump should get the Nobel Peace Prize if we get a nuke free Korea?

Canoeyawl
09-22-2018, 03:12 PM
Do you think we will nuke Korea? What?

Peerie Maa
09-22-2018, 03:15 PM
All pigs are fuelled and taxiing on runway one.

bluedog225
09-22-2018, 03:16 PM
North Korean denuclearization (that was as hard to type as I thought it was going to be)...

genglandoh
09-22-2018, 03:19 PM
Trump should get the Nobel Peace Prize if we get a nuke free Korea?

Yes.
President Trump is tackling the hard problems around the world and NK is one of them.

John Smith
09-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Yes.
President Trump is tackling the hard problems around the world and NK is one of them.

Is he solving any?

LeeG
09-22-2018, 03:47 PM
Yes.

Yes, he is helping Iran and China to form a stronger relationship and ceding leadership for other countries to fill.

bluedog225
09-22-2018, 04:01 PM
I wonder if we could just give him Obama's? That one didn't really count.

Lew Barrett
09-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Last night we were eating dinner at a seafood restaurant in Aix en Province while four Asian men were seated at the next table. They overheard me ordering in my heavily accented French and must have recognized that we were Americans because they struck up a conversation with us in quite good English. We all proceeded to chat, talk politics, life stories and philosophies for the next hour and a half. It was one of those chance meetings when you feel exceptionally warm and open towards people you know you will never see again yet you become comfortable to share real intimacies. We talked about Many things and among them were how they viewed the developments. The conversation is worth a chapter in my book but I’ll spare most ot that for later and get on with the key point.

They view Trump as most like Kim Jong un rather than Moon Jai in, which to be clear is not flattering. But more importantly they suggested Trump plays second fiddle to Moon Jai in since it is Moon who has negotiated the key breakthrough. It somewhat irks them that they see Trump trying to take credit for the progress so far made by Moon who they further confided is viewed as a superb negotiator throughout South Korea. I won’t go deeply into the rest of our discussions regarding Trump but you can take it as gospel that even conservative Koreans see Trump as a sideman to the real actors.

We all agreed that if substantial progress can be made both Koreas and the world will be a better, safer place for a host of reasons. But Trump seems to be neither respected nor viewed as very helpful or effective in respect to the substance of these talks. By the way, two of the four were ordained Calvinist ministers, the third was studying to join the ministry and the forth was their close friend who was visiting them in France on vacation. These were some very bright and impressive gentlemen who caused me to review my usual take on Christian ministers. They were very up to speed on real world conditions.

As seems usual with him I say Trump will take all credit for any success and duck any failure regardless of the outcome, which not withstanding we all hope will be positive. If you want to know what my new friends think is likely, just ask.

Peerie Maa
09-22-2018, 04:06 PM
A time-line of denuclearisation promises broken. Why should we expect any difference now?
https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

skuthorp
09-22-2018, 04:11 PM
I think the OP is moot, but unlikely despite what Kimmy and Donald might say.

S.V. Airlie
09-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Is he solving any?NOPE, he's making them worse!

Gerarddm
09-22-2018, 04:36 PM
The OP reminds me of what the Nazi major asked Rick in Casablanca, " how do you feel about German troops marching through London? "' Ask me when they get there ", Rick sneered back.

Ask your question when our current gets a Nobel.

bluedog225
09-22-2018, 04:50 PM
Thank you Mr. Godwin (chuckle).

Although the bullying and irrational anger has been minimal on the thread. It's nice to get a break from the thinly veiled hate-speech dressed up as condescending lectures and self-congratulatory back slapping.

George Jung
09-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Don’t be so hard on yourself; you’ll get the hang of it. Some learn faster than others.

SKIP KILPATRICK
09-22-2018, 05:07 PM
I love right-wing "Do you thing...." threads!

They are the best!

bluedog225
09-22-2018, 05:09 PM
I'm seeing a lot of pledge participants. I thought this was going to be a safe space.

Gotta go to dinner. I'll check in later.

Paul Pless
09-22-2018, 05:16 PM
its sad that bluedog, a member here for 9 years, mostly posts about projects, and other interesting things, always friendly and fun, always apolitical; retires from his longtime civil service career, becomes right wing troll in his new found spare time

damn bro

WX
09-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Thank you Mr. Godwin (chuckle).

Although the bullying and irrational anger has been minimal on the thread. It's nice to get a break from the thinly veiled hate-speech dressed up as condescending lectures and self-congratulatory back slapping.
You feeling a bit delicate petal?

Paul Pless
09-22-2018, 05:31 PM
petal?the making of a snowflake. . .

bluedog225
09-22-2018, 05:34 PM
It's not my fault! It was the pledges....pledgonistas

bluedog225
09-22-2018, 05:58 PM
On second thought, we can't use Obama's prize. I'm sure everyone agrees Trump's should be a little bigger.

Rich Jones
09-22-2018, 06:20 PM
On second thought, we can't use Obama's prize. I'm sure everyone agrees Trump's should be a little bigger. I'll give you one thing. Obama's peace Prize was a bit undeserved. But Trump getting one? Shirley you jest.

C. Ross
09-22-2018, 06:32 PM
The Peace Prize has been a bit ... off ... in its history. The very polite Swedes at the Nobel Museum in Stockholm inform visitors politely but firmly that the Peace Prize, unlike the others, is awarded by Norwegians not Swedes.

If North Korea is denuclearized it will be a good thing and those responsible should get credit.

As for President Trump “tackling the hard problems” he is merely managing the same portfolio of challenges as his predecessors. It’s true his contributions are unprecedented: he does everything in a ridiculously loud voice while patting himself furiously on the back, and his neediness for adulation and jealously of Obama is pathological, but in all other respects he’s been no more successful with North Korea than any other President.

Paul Pless
09-22-2018, 06:33 PM
Per usual, Mr. Ross nails it!

BrianY
09-22-2018, 09:58 PM
Obama's prize was TOTALLY undeserved and I think he knew/knows it. It was given to him because he was elected President and because of what he MIGHT accomplish and not what he actually did accomplish. I was disappointed that he didn't turn it down.

If Trump is responsible for a de-nucelarized Korean peninsula, then that would qualify him to be a candidate for the prize.

But that's highly unlikely to happen.

George Jung
09-22-2018, 10:18 PM
Obama's prize was TOTALLY undeserved and I think he knew/knows it. It was given to him because he was elected President and because of what he MIGHT accomplish and not what he actually did accomplish. I was disappointed that he didn't turn it down.

If Trump is responsible for a de-nucelarized Korean peninsula, then that would qualify him to be a candidate for the prize.

But that's highly unlikely to happen.

as I recall, the committee used the award to Obama as a rebuke to his predecessor. Obama didn’t campaign for it; none of us (well, maybe Ross) knows the calculus in his decision to accept; and I’ve never heard Obama even mention the award. Contrast and compare with Trump.

skuthorp
09-22-2018, 11:48 PM
I thought that thinking about having a thought, let alone actual thinking was unthinkable now that they've thought of thought police……..

oznabrag
09-23-2018, 03:39 AM
its sad that bluedog, a member here for 9 years, mostly posts about projects, and other interesting things, always friendly and fun, always apolitical; retires from his longtime civil service career, becomes right wing troll in his new found spare time

damn bro

+1.

downthecreek
09-23-2018, 04:41 AM
+1.

+ 2

Bluedog wants a "safe space" in which to "discuss" things. One way to make things safer is to resist the temptation to pepper his trolls with snide, irrelevant and deliberately provocative little insults. Not so much in this thread, perhaps, but as long as that continues, this self righteous piety is all my eye and Betty Martin! (There's a fine old saying we don't hear anymore. Heaven knows what it's supposed to mean :D)

skuthorp
09-23-2018, 05:53 AM
If long distance discussions without face to face risks and the ability to turn off is not ''a safe place", then I don't know what is.
If Bluedog, or any other wants uncritical agreement with their views then this place is not the place to be. Especially not the bilge.

Garret
09-23-2018, 07:07 AM
If Trump were to actually do anything about it, then sure. However, SK is doing any heavy lifting that's going on - all Trump did was fly in for a quick photo op. However, has anyone seen any change in what NK is doing about its nukes? Didn't think so.

Agreed that Obama got the prize in a burst of wishful thinking by the Nobel committee.

bluedog225
09-23-2018, 09:14 AM
All in fun. The temptation was too great.

Apologies all round.

Peace.