Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharpiefan
    Pro-metric Space Cadet
    • Aug 2013

Researchers Gave Octopuses Ecstasy And Watched What Would Happen, For Science

/*
    Contributing to the delinquency of cephalopods.....
    */

Ever wanted to see what happens when you give octopuses drugs? Scientists in the US have just lived that dream. They gave a solitary, asocial octopus species MDMA, aka ecstasy, and watched rapt as the cephalopods tried to hug all up on each other.
    The research, as weird as it may seem, actually yielded some important results, as the experiment demonstrated an evolutionary link between humans and octopuses in the way the neurotransmitter serotonin encodes social behaviour.
    "Despite anatomical differences between octopus and human brain, we've shown that there are molecular similarities in the serotonin transporter gene," said neuroscientist Gül Dölen of Johns Hopkins University.
    "These molecular similarities are sufficient to enable MDMA to induce prosocial behaviours in octopuses."
    Over 500 million years separates octopuses from humans, which is when the two last had a common ancestor. But after the genome of the California two-spot octopus (Octopus bimaculoides) was sequenced and published, scientists suspected that human and octopus brains may work the same - in one specific way.
    Researchers Gave Octopuses Ecstasy And Watched What Would Happen, For Science (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)
  • David W Pratt
    • May 2005

Re: Researchers Gave Octopuses Ecstasy And Watched What Would Happen, For Science

Now, wouldn't tattoo artists like to be able to implant chromatophores?

Comment

• TomF
      Recalcitrant Heretic
      • Jun 2003

Re: Researchers Gave Octopuses Ecstasy And Watched What Would Happen, For Science

Who decided it was "pro social" for octopuses to hug each other? Maybe they're happier being solitary?
      If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• David G
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by TomF
        Who decided it was "pro social" for octopuses to hug each other? Maybe they're happier being solitary?
        FWIW - I've seen what it does to introverts. Sometimes they're a bit embarrassed later, but each has expressed their enjoyment at such an intense burst of 'connection'. Maybe octopii feel the same way? I'd be happy to ask, but I don't know their language. I've certainly seen them be friendly, though. Diving, and having the little ones crawl out onto my hand and climb around my arms/body. Sometimes not dropping off until just as we reached the surface. Maybe it's just the younger ones... or smaller species. I'd be happy to ask, etc.
        David G
        Harbor Woodworks
        https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

Working...