Did Trump Offer Palestine's President Abbas $5 Billion For Talks?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • isla
    Isla Woodcraft
    • Aug 2008

Did Trump Offer Palestine's President Abbas $5 Billion For Talks?

According to 'Globes', an Israeli business journal, he did..

After a series of unprecedented aid cuts, the US administration is offering the Palestinian leadership a way back.
    The US is offering the Palestinian Authority $5 billion to return to the negotiating table with Israel to achieve a solution to the conflict, according to information obtained by "Globes" from US sources.

This figure was not determined arbitrarily. It is based on the Palestinian Authority's reconstruction and economic development program - plans that have been discussed in various international forums, and which Israel played a key role in shaping.

However, the White House says he didn't, which given their record on truth, probably means he did

WASHINGTON — The White House flatly denied on Thursday a report that said US President Donald Trump had offered Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas $5 billion to enter peace negotiations.
    Hours earlier, the Israeli business publication Globes reported that Trump sought to re-engage the Palestinian leader after cutting American aid to the Palestinians with the $5 billion offer.
    The US has recently cut funding for the PA, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, and the East Jerusalem hospital network.

Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle
  • Old Dryfoot
    That Richard Guy
    • May 2010

Re: Did Trump Offer Palestine's President Abbas $5 Billion For Talks?

I wonder how much he paid Kim for that little dog and pony show we saw this summer.

Comment

• isla
      Isla Woodcraft
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Old Dryfoot
      I wonder how much he paid Kim for that little dog and pony show we saw this summer.
      No idea, but I bet it was Huuuuuge.

Comment

• isla
        Isla Woodcraft
        • Aug 2008

If it is true then it appears to be a classic carrot and stick manoeuvre. The stick being the recent massive cuts to the Palestine aid budget. Then they are offered a lifeline in the form of new funding, which would undoubtedly be conditional on massive concessions to Israel.
        Trump is desperate to be the POTUS who succeeds in solving the Palestine/Israel conflict, where others have failed, even if it means buying a solution.

Comment

• Gerarddm
          #RESIST
          • Feb 2010

The Arab world in general does not give a damn about the Palestinians. Only they themselves and the Israelis do.
          Gerard>
          Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
            That Richard Guy
            • May 2010

Remember that thing about cash going to Iran? Well, Republicans just forget all about it!

Comment

• Katherine
              Too Young to be a Senior
              • Sep 2004

Did someone get Scotted?
              Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Comment

• isla
                Isla Woodcraft
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Katherine
                Did someone get Scotted?
                I haven't noticed anybody missing, but I'm not very observant. Who did you have in mind?

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
                  That Richard Guy
                  • May 2010

I think my jumping from the OP topic to Iran might have made it appear as though posts where missing.

Comment

Working...