PDA

View Full Version : quickly now, to the exceedingly clean deck thread

Paul Pless
09-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Brooklin Boatyard, BB108
Big sister to Sonny III

StevenBauer
09-13-2018, 04:50 PM
That boat would look nice with some cabins on it.

Paul Pless
09-13-2018, 04:53 PM
That boat would look nice with a long counter on it.ftfy

Phil Y
09-13-2018, 05:15 PM
That boat would look nice with me on it.

LeeG
09-13-2018, 05:27 PM
http://brooklinboatyard.com/sonny-2018/

J.Madison
09-13-2018, 05:48 PM
I don't like to run a 75 hp engine constantly just to power the hydraulics for a day of sailing. Sonny has less purchase on the mainsheet than my dinghy!

SMARTINSEN
09-13-2018, 05:49 PM
The owner is a retired senior with limited mobility who requested a yacht with more accessibility. SONNY III provides numerous solutions to the owner’s mobility concerns, including chair lifts at each companionway, a power reclining chair in the master cabin, a side-boarding ladder and a transom-boarding platform.

One of the yards down here is building a handicapped accessible yacht, a bit shorter, about 80'. Power, though,not sail, it has a an elevator between decks. We will probably be seeing more of these.

Phil Y
09-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Just a few mods, like electric self tailing winches, lazy jacks, or full furling systems make most boats pretty well accessible, for a fit paraplegic.

Paul Pless
09-13-2018, 06:03 PM
Just a few mods, like electric self tailing winches, lazy jacks, or full furling systems make most boats pretty well accessible, for a fit paraplegic.
Getting up a down a traditional companionway on a fin keeler would be tough.

on the other hand a larger multihull with cabin and deck on the same level sure seems sensible for a handicapped accessible boat.

My mom, wheel chair bound since 1992 did really well on my pontoon boat with a dock that was the same height as the boat deck, she never could’ve got aboard my center console, she did once ride in my jet drive fishing skiff by having me pull up to the beach and she slid from her wheel chair onto the front deck and then around the the gunwales to the rear seat. That was a really good day, I took her out onto the white water river that her home was on, the river that I grew up on, and she had not been out on it other than from the bank in twenty or more years.

Phil Y
09-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Yeah, there would,obviously be issues getting on and off, and in and out of the cabin. And I don't think you'd want to go solo. Some years ago I owned a 54' steel ketch which I understand was built for a paraplegic. There were 3 steps into the wheelhouse, and 3 from there to the main cabin. On deck all main sail controls led to 2 electric winches either side of the helm seat. No other special accommodations, but I can see how it would work reasonably well for someone who was strong and agile enough to move around using an arm and bum shuffle.

Breakaway
09-13-2018, 07:58 PM
At the size of boats we are discussing here, doors to aid divers, stowing a rib or bringing a big fish aboard are all commonplace aboard powerboats.Also consider an offshore lobsterboat with no transom, built to yacht standards. All would allow access on and off the boat.

Access belowdecks is a tougher nut, I suppose. But again, at the size boats in question, there is a substantial amount of money involved, so where there is a will there will likely be a way found.

It's budget that's more limiting than expertise or technology.

Kevin

Nicholas Carey
09-13-2018, 10:20 PM
Brooklin Boatyard, BB108
Big sister to Sonny III

Nice looking, but the deck's too flat. Needs more deck camber to make her shapely.

epoxyboy
09-14-2018, 02:06 AM
Bet those flush hatches/skylights are slippery mofos when they get wet. It is a bit too clean, borderline OCD.

Pete

wizbang 13
09-14-2018, 10:09 AM
The bra advertisement at the bottom of the page is better looking.

amish rob
09-14-2018, 10:18 AM
What?! There nothing BOLTED to it, so itís clean, right?

Peace,
Robert

David G
09-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Bet those flush hatches/skylights are slippery mofos when they get wet. It is a bit too clean, borderline OCD.

Pete

I had a similar reaction. Owner with some psych issues?

willmarsh3
09-14-2018, 02:18 PM
I don't like to run a 75 hp engine constantly just to power the hydraulics for a day of sailing. Sonny has less purchase on the mainsheet than my dinghy!

I hitherto couldn't imagine saying it but that would make sailing suck. I'd find a way to set up an battery powered prime mover for the hydraulics with a generator running only occasionally or better yet solar panels to charge the batteries.

Gerarddm
09-14-2018, 04:14 PM
I love the flush deck look.

Phil Y
09-14-2018, 04:51 PM
I hitherto couldn't imagine saying it but that would make sailing suck. I'd find a way to set up an battery powered prime mover for the hydraulics with a generator running only occasionally or better yet solar panels to charge the batteries.
You can bet it's extremely well silenced. I doubt you'd notice it was running.

Breakaway
09-14-2018, 07:29 PM
You can bet it's extremely well silenced. I doubt you'd notice it was running.

On a luxury-laden boat that size the genny will be running in any event, to provide hot water, air conditioning ( or heat), etc.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
09-15-2018, 06:01 AM
A clean deck is a sign of...

John Meachen
09-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Perhaps a sign that the boat will only be used for gentle sailing.The more serious offshore boats tend to have something like this to provide some shelter.

Chris249
09-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Such decks are a minority, though. There's many boats that do some fairly serious sailing (Transatlantics, Fastnet, Sydney-Hobart) with flush, or essentially flush, decks.

Personally I find ultra-clean decks to be attractive and interesting. Sure, they may go overboard (whoops) about it but the same can be said of many elements of the wooden boat movement too.