PDA

View Full Version : Batteries-I also confess my ignorance

bluedog225
09-08-2018, 02:41 PM
I’ve been vaguely paying attention over the years but had never heard this. I hope I am remembering it correctly.

Negative off first
Positive off second
Positive on first
Negative on second

Reduces the chance of welding your wrench to the car body and blowing up the battery.

jackster
09-08-2018, 04:11 PM
You are CORRECT, Sir! (My best Ed McMahon :))

Old Dryfoot
09-08-2018, 04:18 PM
More than most people will ever want to know about batteries.
https://batteryuniversity.com/

David W Pratt
09-08-2018, 05:52 PM
ABYC, or some other PTB, decided that marine battery posts should have regular hex nuts on them instead of butterflies. Apparently they were concerned that people were not tightening the butterflies enough and thus creating a high resistance hot spot. The nuts require a regular wrench of a size to nicely reach from one terminal to the other

Jim Mahan
09-08-2018, 06:01 PM
The nuts require a regular wrench of a size to nicely reach from one terminal to the other

There's a quick way to make them shorter, but it isn't recommended.

Jim Bow
09-08-2018, 07:45 PM
Fond memories of my 53 VW. Battery was under the back seat. The terminal was within a couple of inches of the seat rail. I once shorted through my wedding ring, while I was wearing it.

Art Haberland
09-08-2018, 08:07 PM
which is the opposite way you hook up live power. Ground is always first, followed by neutral, then your legs.. the human body makes a great ground.

Garret
09-08-2018, 08:19 PM
which is the opposite way you hook up live power. Ground is always first, followed by neutral, then your legs.. the human body makes a great ground.

But not your arms?

Sorry - it was there...