PDA

View Full Version : The Dog

amish rob
09-07-2018, 03:33 PM
She’s not a puppy anymore, I suppose, though she still acts that way. She can no longer walk under a dining room table without crouching, which looks hilarious. She does a passable,belly crawl.

She remains a lap dog, and devoted bodyguard of Youngeat Son. Don’t touch The Boy.

Today, she discovered spinning in circles on the rug on the hardwood floors. When she rapidly changes direction, the rug slips, and she wobbles a bit.

Well, once she figured it out, she had to pursue it to proper dog excess, because she is a perfect dog. Of course, our hoots and claps encouraged her.

She went until she became visibly dizzy. She staggered, then fell over. Her eyes were sort of crossed.

It was pretty darn funny.

Peace,
I Wish I Were A Dog

Paul Pless
09-07-2018, 03:48 PM
when i was a kid we had a brindle great dane named zorro
he was running buckwild around the yard at top speed and then around the pool and through the open patio doors to the pool house and then out the other door and back around the yard

with much encouragement

then he tuckered and we closed up the pool and returned to the house for dinner

turned back just in time to see him taking another lap at full speed, rounding the corner by the pool and straightening up to dive through what he thought was open sliding glass patio door

i had no idea a tempered glass door could flex so much, it was a bone crushing impact followed by a full grown adult great dane being thrown backwards at extreme velocity into the swimming pool

he was always wary of the patio after that experience

this great dane memory is only rivaled by the pless family great dane christmas tree fiasco

amish rob
09-07-2018, 03:54 PM
My buddy who just passed had a pit who ran laps in his yard. There was a track around the edge, and running between the fence and a shed.
I saw the dog on the day he tried to run through the gap with his big bone in his mouth.

I hope I never forget watching a 130 pound dog fold up, pivot around his own head, and accordion out into a gap scarcely as wide as his body, but only after pausing for the nanosecond his jaw strength was able to over come the 11.9 Gs they were exposed to.

Our dog? She has walked through the screen door I don’t know how many times. On her way out, she just takes it off the track like a bulldozer. On the way in, she parts it like Moses.

You could bounce a SACK of quarters off my screens, I’ve gottwn so good at them...

Peace,
Robert

cathouse willy
09-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Many of my best moments are just hanging out with my Beagles. They're ever so patient and hang on my every word. After all, I know where the snacks are so that makes me the smartest guy around.

oznabrag
09-07-2018, 05:22 PM
I have an Anatolian Shepherd.

They're pretty weird.

They have been selectively bred for centuries to have first allegiance to the livestock, and people are not necessarily to be trusted, even if you've known them since they were puppies.

Roscoe got left on our doorstep because the owner decided we would take care of him.

Roscoe had a severe inflammation in his ears, not the inner, but the big floppy thing . .

Well, not in Roscoe's case.

Not floppy.

His ears were hard, like, well, like scar tissue.

He was only 16 weeks (?).

I found out two years later that my neighbor across the street had taken him on, then this ear infection set in, and he left little Roscoe at our door early one morning because he knew we'd take care of him.

Then, I allowed Her Indoors to castrate the li'l burstid before he was even one year old, and he never gained his proper confidence, or the 20 pounds he should be carrying in his shoulders.

I had a feller tell me that if he weighed another 20 pounds, he'd just eat more.

If he weighed another 20 pounds, and had the confidence in his dogulence, then I'd be happy to feed him more, because that makes him more effective at home defense.

Oh! I have managed to knead most of the scar tissue back to semi-normal these past 4 years.

LeeG
09-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Many of my best moments are just hanging out with my Beagles. They're ever so patient and hang on my every word. After all, I know where the snacks are so that makes me the smartest guy around.

Makes one feel good. Sneaky animals.

Chris249
09-08-2018, 12:41 AM
when i was a kid we had a brindle great dane named zorro
he was running buckwild around the yard at top speed and then around the pool and through the open patio doors to the pool house and then out the other door and back around the yard

with much encouragement

then he tuckered and we closed up the pool and returned to the house for dinner

turned back just in time to see him taking another lap at full speed, rounding the corner by the pool and straightening up to dive through what he thought was open sliding glass patio door

i had no idea a tempered glass door could flex so much, it was a bone crushing impact followed by a full grown adult great dane being thrown backwards at extreme velocity into the swimming pool

he was always wary of the patio after that experience

this great dane memory is only rivaled by the pless family great dane christmas tree fiasco

We recently moved to a 27 acre property, with about 27 kangaroos and wallabies normally present and correct. We don't want them to chase the roos, but sometimes we can't tell they are around when we let the dogs off the lead.

The first couple of times the dogs got into high-speed chases was before they learned about barbed wire fences, and how hard they are to see when you're a dog running flat out at them. The roos jumped over them and 27kg of bull arab/border collie cross went in full tilt. No scratches, but he got a damn good bounce back the other way. I have to admit I laughed once it became obvious he was OK.

Here's his other trick - breaking out of a room, into the freezer which has a chair against it, then getting into the fridge and pulling a drawer out to get into the dog food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM3uKvP_Dg8

He likes the taste of some of his medication, so the other day he pulled the bottle from the shelf, unscrewed the lid without breaking it, and drank it all.

On the plus side, he loves windsurfing and sailing.

L.A Marche
09-08-2018, 01:18 AM
Every day my dog makes me smile.

Paul Pless
09-08-2018, 06:15 AM
Chris, I like the pause your dog gives part way through the freezer raid to look around behind him. :D

The Bigfella
09-08-2018, 07:07 AM
I just found a photo of our first family dog. It's dated 1973, but we'd had him for a while before that

Chris249
09-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Chris, I like the pause your dog gives part way through the freezer raid to look around behind him. :D

He was actually being watched live - by my wife, who was downloading the footage on her phone as I frantically U-turned and drove back to the house. :-)

What somehow got missed was the fact that he had got some fish out and put it in the spare room. This was on a Friday. We left with the dogs later that day for a summer weekend on the boat with temps around 90-100 degrees, and the fish sitting in the spare room the whole time. Thank god the plastic bag they were in didn't burst before I found it on Monday morning.