PDA

View Full Version : Rick Wilson strikes again

Gerarddm
09-06-2018, 03:35 PM
https://www.thedailybeast.com/open-letter-to-times-op-ed-writer-go-public-now-before-they-bust-you?ref=home

CWSmith
09-06-2018, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure what I think about this. The ethical behavior would seem to be you resign before you write the article. But if you feel that this WH is a genuine threat to the nation, then maybe the undercover effort on the inside is justified. In my mind, it is genuinely a tough call.

Norman Bernstein
09-06-2018, 05:58 PM
Rick Wilson, it should be noted, is the author of 'Everything Trump Touches Dies', which I highly recommend.

LeeG
09-06-2018, 06:10 PM
good stuff

“You want to excuse yourself by telling us that for all the military, diplomatic, economic, political, and moral hazards into which Donald Trump has steered this nation, you’ve moved the tiller to help avoid the rocks. Slow clap. If you argue that you’re doing a great job, I should note that Frederick Fleet, the Titanic’s lookout, did ring the doomed ship’s warning bell and shouted to the bridge, “Iceberg, right ahead!” After all, only part of the ship hit the iceberg, right?”

“The only path is to get into the daylight as fast as you can, not like Omarosa, but as a true whistleblower and patriot. Your only value now is in pulling down the entire system. First movers in the collapse of this White House get a book deal. The future of the tenth asshole who escapes this White House who says, "I saw all this crazy, terrible, illegal, dangerous stuff and still tried to help" is exactly zero. Here’s their future: “Welcome to Arby’s.”

No one in this White House will help you. No one there can help you, even if the lower-level staff is cutely sending “sleeper agent” texts to one another. The edifice is crumbling, the King is mad, and no amount of tweeting, no redneck rally in East Asscrack, Arkansas, no Fox filibuster will save it.

Run before they catch you. Tell it all. Save yourself. Save the country.”

wsgilliam
09-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Half measures seem to always fail. One wonders if Stauffenburg instead of fleeing had stayed, reentered with a Luger and insured the job was finished. Better to let it burn then half measures.

Old Dryfoot
09-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Spot on!

WI-Tom
09-07-2018, 03:33 AM
Ah, but you're all ignoring what, to me, was the most revealing part of the op-ed:

To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

In other words, not part of the resistance at all. Simply part of the contemptible Republican machine that is happy to ride along with Trump while he destroys the country simply because it allows "their side" to win.

So much winning.

If you're really part of the resistance, and really believe what you wrote in the op-ed, then invoke the 25th.

If you're wanting the Trump administration to succeed, you're not part of any resistance. You're part of the problem.

Tom

oznabrag
09-07-2018, 07:18 AM
Ah, but you're all ignoring what, to me, was the most revealing part of the op-ed:

In other words, not part of the resistance at all. Simply part of the contemptible Republican machine that is happy to ride along with Trump while he destroys the country simply because it allows "their side" to win.

So much winning.

If you're really part of the resistance, and really believe what you wrote in the op-ed, then invoke the 25th.

If you're wanting the Trump administration to succeed, you're not part of any resistance. You're part of the problem.

Tom

I think that Lodestar is the contemptible Republican machine. A composite.

As Switters remarked, it's like Murder on the Orient Express. Like Caesar and the 23 wounds.

This is scary.

First, you've got the Trump/Putin thing going, then there's this whole OTHER treasonous cabal trying to control the FIRST treasonous cabal.

That's messed up.

Jim Mahan
09-07-2018, 07:23 AM
^ Post #7. Exactamento. The same reason one might laud McCain for a life of public service and surviving the pow experience, but the so-called maverick is a paper maverick, and really just another flaming R. He definitely would have been authentically presidential and had he won the R primary and gotten in instead of evilcrapforbrains, we would still have the so-called conservative movement and the same big money and NRA etc. The only difference would be that we would never have known the hooligan thug circus that some people are still calling the administration.

peb
09-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Rick Wilson nailed it, my wife and I had a conversation about the op-ed last night and came to about the same conclusions.

Half marks are about what we game the man. Good for those guys keeping things halfway stable, but that's a scary way to run a government. He is going to be outed, if he said who he was, perhaps action could be taken.

Norman Bernstein
09-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Rick Wilson nailed it, my wife and I had a conversation about the op-ed last night and came to about the same conclusions.

Half marks are about what we game the man. Good for those guys keeping things halfway stable, but that's a scary way to run a government. He is going to be outed, if he said who he was, perhaps action could be taken.

As much as I am sympathetic to your sentiment, I'm afraid I can't be quite as sanguine.

Neither an impeachment, nor a 25th amendment process, is remotely possible, in my view. Things like the op-ed might eventually strip away a few Republicans who have looked at the balance between supporting Trump (for the sake of the 'Trump base' of voters), versus striking out independently on the bet that Trump WILL eventually go down, one way or the other....

... but there won't be nearly enough of them to reach the 2/3rds or 3/4ths majority needed to make those options work. It would be an exercise in near-futility.

Of course, some Mueller bombshell revelation might change the calculus... but it's a long shot, at best.

About all we can hope for (at least, for those of us hoping in that direction) is that the House flips to Democratic control (a near-certainty), and that the Senate also flips (unlikely, but not actually out of the realm of possibility). With the House in Democratic hands, Trump's legislative agenda will, at least, be completely dead... and the power of the subpoena could grind Trump down substantially...

...and if those White House insiders succeed in keeping Trump from doing anything truly stupid, we'll make it to 2020... and get out from under.

WI-Tom
09-07-2018, 01:12 PM
the House flips to Democratic control (a near-certainty)

The election of Hillary Clinton for President was "a near-certainty" too.

Tom