PDA

View Full Version : My question to Kavanaugh

John Smith
09-04-2018, 04:03 PM
Given that President Trump promised to nominate ONLY justices who will overturn Roe, why would this committee not believe you've committed to Trump that you'll do so?

John of Phoenix
09-04-2018, 06:12 PM
And he'd lie.

John Smith
09-05-2018, 08:06 AM
And he'd lie.

But the door we open. If Kavanaugh claims NOT to have had a discussion with, or made such a promise to, Trump, then he or Trump is lying.

Ian McColgin
09-05-2018, 08:50 AM
At his last Senatorial confirmation, Kavanaugh under oath claimed that he had no role at all in the Bush 43 torture and detention policies. Two years later, third party documents turned up that tell of Kavanaugh's role in the evolution of those policies, especially providing advice anticipating the reaction of SCOTUS in general and Justice Alito in particular. Trump has claimed executive privilege over the documents that, among other things, clarify whether or not Kavanaugh was lying or whether there is another explanation.

This is just one of the many issues where Kavanaugh shows that he is of the Alito and Scalia. This is the school of law where even judges are like litigating attorneys: They know what side they are on and use their best legal reasoning to support that side.

I had the honor of being on the last Grand Jury held before a now retired and very great Cape Cod judge. And I've a friend, soon to hit mandatory retirement, who is also a judge. I have observed how both of these, both with civil and criminal law backgrounds, approach crafting an opinion by first identifying their own underlying assumptions about the case and participants. They are both able to make rulings that follow the law and evidence, not just that fit their personal values.

Scalia was brilliant. Alito and Kavanaugh are brilliant. Good attorneys and just what you want on your side. And they reliably reach a preordained judgement.

Chris Smith porter maine
09-05-2018, 05:59 PM
He said today he had not thought about, or some such, about the issue of a president pardoning himself, it's been all over the news for a year, are you lying of a incredibly uncurious dotard.