PDA

View Full Version : Woodward's book is leaking now

Norman Bernstein
09-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Possibly one of the most anticipated books on Trump, so far.

Quote of the Day (https://politicalwire.com/2018/09/04/quote-of-the-day-2028/)

“He’s an idiot. It’s pointless to try to convince him of anything. He’s gone off the rails. We’re in Crazytown. I don’t even know why any of us are here. This is the worst job I’ve ever had.”

— White House chief of staff John Kelly, quoted in Fear: Trump in the White House (https://amzn.to/2MM9yA5), about President Trump.

Trump Lawyers Staged Session to Show Trump Would Lie (https://politicalwire.com/2018/09/04/trump-lawyers-staged-session-to-show-trump-would-lie/)

Bob Woodward’s forthcoming book, Fear: Trump in the White House (https://amzn.to/2MM9yA5), describes how John Dowd “was convinced that President Trump would commit perjury if he talked to special counsel Robert Mueller. So, on Jan. 27, the president’s then-personal attorney staged a practice session to try to make his point,” the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodwards-new-book-reveals-a-nervous-breakdown-of-trumps-presidency/2018/09/04/b27a389e-ac60-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?utm_term=.89ed9d4ee5b9&wpisrc=al_news__alert-politics--alert-national&wpmk=1) reports.

“In the White House residence, Dowd peppered Trump with questions about the Russia investigation, provoking stumbles, contradictions and lies until the president eventually lost his cool.”
Trump eventually erupted: “This thing’s a goddamn hoax. I don’t really want to testify.”

Woodward Describes ‘Nervous Breakdown’ In White House (https://politicalwire.com/2018/09/04/woodward-describes-nervous-breakdown-in-white-house/)

A central theme of Bob Woodward’s new book, Fear: Trump in the White House (https://amzn.to/2MM9yA5), “is the stealthy machinations used by those in Trump’s inner sanctum to try to control his impulses and prevent disasters, both for the president personally and for the nation he was elected to lead,” the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodwards-new-book-reveals-a-nervous-breakdown-of-trumps-presidency/2018/09/04/b27a389e-ac60-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?utm_term=.0a0865853c11) reports.

“Woodward describes ‘an administrative coup d’etat’ and a ‘nervous breakdown’ of the executive branch, with senior aides conspiring to pluck official papers from the president’s desk so he couldn’t see or sign them.”

“Again and again, Woodward recounts at length how Trump’s national security team was shaken by his lack of curiosity and knowledge about world affairs and his contempt for the mainstream perspectives of military and intelligence leaders.”

CNN (https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/politics/bob-woodward-book-donald-trump-fear/index.html): “Many of the feuds and daily clashes have been well documented, but the picture painted by Trump’s confidants, senior staff and Cabinet officials reveal that many of them see an even more alarming situation — worse than previously known or understood. Woodward offers a devastating portrait of a dysfunctional Trump White House, detailing how senior aides grew exasperated with the President and increasingly worried about his erratic behavior, ignorance and penchant for lying.”

TomF
09-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Wow.

C. Ross
09-04-2018, 11:19 AM
It does not support the view that Trump is doing magnificently.

ron ll
09-04-2018, 11:25 AM
I hear Trump is now pissed because Woodward didn’t interview him for the book. :D

LeeG
09-04-2018, 11:28 AM
But, but he’s sticking it to the federal gov’t!

LeeG
09-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I’d say this constitutes a crisis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodwards-new-book-reveals-a-nervous-breakdown-of-trumps-presidency/2018/09/04/b27a389e-ac60-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?utm_term=.9f53d3ffb8a3&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

At a National Security Council meeting on Jan. 19, Trump disregarded the significance of the massive U.S. military presence on the Korean Peninsula, including a special intelligence operation that allows the United States to detect a North Korean missile launch in seven seconds vs. 15 minutes from Alaska, according to Woodward. Trump questioned why the government was spending resources in the region at all.

“We’re doing this in order to prevent World War III,” Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told him.

After Trump left the meeting, Woodward recounts, “Mattis was particularly exasperated and alarmed, telling close associates that the president acted like — and had the understanding of — ‘a fifth- or sixth-grader.’ ”

Norman Bernstein
09-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Woohoo.... Woodward taped a conversation with Trump... the audio and transcript are published in WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/04/transcript-phone-call-between-president-trump-journalist-bob-woodward/?utm_term=.0dcc7fbdc3ac

amish rob
09-04-2018, 11:40 AM
https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/photo/2013/04/syria-in-ruins/s02_RTR3DAR3/main_900.jpg?1420510255

We have to avoid this sort of thing at all costs, so the age old way of getting rid of a despot is out. I'm eagerly waiting for this November's election and the 2020 election. Meanwhile, a lightning strike on the golf course would be enough to make me reconsider the existence of a beneficent god.

The problem we ALL face is how much of the world looks like this, lately...

Peace,
Robert

Mike V.
09-04-2018, 11:40 AM
This presidency really is like the movie "Idiocracy" except it's not funny at all.

Keith Wilson
09-04-2018, 11:48 AM
The problem we ALL face is how much of the world looks like this, lately...If you do the numbers, less (as a percentage of the total) than for most of human history. Although in most previous times, the ruins weren't so tall. OTOH, I wouldn't underestimate the capacity of the guy in the White House at present to f**k things up badly.

amish rob
09-04-2018, 12:06 PM
I have lost four friends I met in college to violence in the Middle East. I had a friend in Yemen whose entire family was wiped out. 17 people slaughtered in their own home compound.

I have a friend from Mexico who lives here because he showed up for work one day and found his bosses head in a box on the doorstep.

The “civilized” world is shrinking.

Period.

Peace,
Robert

Hugh Conway
09-04-2018, 12:06 PM
At a National Security Council meeting on Jan. 19, Trump disregarded the significance of the massive U.S. military presence on the Korean Peninsula, including a special intelligence operation that allows the United States to detect a North Korean missile launch in seven seconds vs. 15 minutes from Alaska, according to Woodward. Trump questioned why the government was spending resources in the region at all.

This is perhaps the most frightening example of all of those mentioned in the article. Trump doesn't understand a few million in south Korea can save US lives, cheaply.

I'm sure the usual cadre of tools, fools, toadys, sychophants, walking portapottys, and juggalo rejects will be in to defend trump shortly.

Keith Wilson
09-04-2018, 12:19 PM
I realized that the last line of my post #11 seemed to say the opposite of what I intended; now repaired.

And while it often looks that way, the civilized world is NOT shrinking, at least not yet. Yes, all too many dreadful things still happen - but in the long view, less often than in previous times. Although things could still go horribly wrong, your chance of dying violently is less than it has ever been in our species' history. Really.

Chris Coose
09-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Ouch!!! Bob's work is going to leave a big dent come November 6th. Trump and KellyAnn's interest in Woodward naming names of the interviewed, sounded like a lift from the Sopranos script.

LeeG
09-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Woohoo.... Woodward taped a conversation with Trump... the audio and transcript are published in WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/04/transcript-phone-call-between-president-trump-journalist-bob-woodward/?utm_term=.0dcc7fbdc3ac

Sounds pretty obvious that no one wanted Trump to talk to Woodward and Trump may or may not know that, or not know what he knew or didn’t know, and does it even matter anymore?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJkc_C5-Cd8

George Jung
09-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Ouch!!! Bob's work is going to leave a big dent come November 6th. Trump and KellyAnn's interest in Woodward naming names of the interviewed, sounded like a lift from the Sopranos script.

Yeah. It would help 'bigly' if they had a hit list.... errr..... context from which to respond...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-04-2018, 01:49 PM
It does not support the view that Trump is doing magnificently.

As a statement, that is in the same class as, "The war has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage"

Tom Montgomery
09-04-2018, 02:06 PM
The op essentially explains why this White House has been leaking to the press like a sieve.

But SHAME on those staffers who, like John Kelly and Jim Mattis, do not resign on principle and alert the public about the cluster-**** that is the Trump presidency. Such people are doing the American people no favor by hanging in there silently while sticking all ten digits in the shaky dike.

Hugh Conway
09-04-2018, 02:15 PM
The op essentially explains why this White House has been leaking to the press like a sieve.

But SHAME on those staffers who, like John Kelly and Jim Mattis, do not resign on principle and alert the public about the cluster-**** that is the Trump presidency. Such people are doing the American people no favor by hanging in there silently while sticking all ten digits in the shaky dike.

I think they do do the people a favor by curbing the excesses of an unhinged toddler.

CWSmith
09-04-2018, 02:18 PM
I would have very much preferred that we remove a mentally intact POTUS from office on the grounds of corruption than an unhinged and adolescent narcissist who can do virtually unlimited damage on the way out.

Garret
09-04-2018, 02:25 PM
I would have very much preferred that we remove a mentally intact POTUS from office on the grounds of corruption than an unhinged and adolescent narcissist who can do virtually unlimited damage on the way out.

Remember that removing him means moving Pence into the presidency. Are you sure you want that? I know I don't. IMO, putting Pence in the VP slot was a brilliant move by the Reps - to make sure Trump wouldn't be removed.

John of Phoenix
09-04-2018, 02:35 PM
“Many of the feuds and daily clashes have been well documented, but the picture painted by Trump’s confidants, senior staff and Cabinet officials reveal that many of them see an even more alarming situation — worse than previously known or understood. Woodward offers a devastating portrait of a dysfunctional Trump White House, detailing how senior aides grew exasperated with the President and increasingly worried about his erratic behavior, ignorance and penchant for lying.”

A book that says two scoops is crazy and his minions keep the truth from the rest of the world. This isn't exactly news but let's say it is.

First, we already knew it and the book tells us nothing that isn't documented daily.

Second, reds won't read it and would dismiss it if they did. It doesn't change a single vote.

Finally, BFD. Nothing changes until McTurtle and his red hoard of cohorts are dealt with.

Hugh Conway
09-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Remember that removing him means moving Pence into the presidency. Are you sure you want that? I know I don't. IMO, putting Pence in the VP slot was a brilliant move by the Reps - to make sure Trump wouldn't be removed.

I think Pence is a slimy, amoral weasel and I disagree with pretty much everything he does politically.

But he's not nuts in the way Trump is.

John of Phoenix
09-04-2018, 02:38 PM
But he's not nuts in the way Trump is.You say that like it's a good thing.

S.V. Airlie
09-04-2018, 02:44 PM
I think Pence is a slimy, amoral weasel and I disagree with pretty much everything he does politically.

But he's not nuts in the way Trump is.But, if he finishes Trump's term, that's 2 yrs. If he holds on to the presidency, that's four years and if he runs for another term, that's another four years. That's ten yrs of Pence. Yup, people will say it'll never happen but, I didn't think Trump would be president either.

Hugh Conway
09-04-2018, 02:46 PM
You say that like it's a good thing.

It's bad for my politics, yes, but overall better for the country.

Garret
09-04-2018, 02:50 PM
It's bad for my politics, yes, but overall better for the country.

Unless you want the US to become a religious state, I don't think so. In many ways, I'd rather deal with crazy man evil than cold, calculating evil.

TomF
09-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Yeah. A lawful Pence is preferable to an unindicted criminal Trump, if those are the choices. And a President Pence restrained by a Democratic Congress has a limited scope for harm.

Hugh Conway
09-04-2018, 02:55 PM
I'd rather deal with crazy man evil than cold, calculating evil.

Trump's both because his crazy lets the cold, calculating evil thrive. Comeon they've kicked out what, a half dozen explicit racist appointees so far?

Garret
09-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Yeah. A lawful Pence is preferable to an unindicted criminal Trump, if those are the choices. And a President Pence restrained by a Democratic Congress has a limited scope for harm.

If the Dems take congress, then you're probably right. If not - holy mackerel think of the damage they could do...

john welsford
09-04-2018, 03:08 PM

It may well be that they see themselves as the only people who can somewhat manage the chaos that the President is causing. That would be a difficult and onerous task, risky as well should he lash out in anger.

This in our newspapers this morning,https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/106829020/bob-woodwards-new-book-reveals-a-nervous-breakdown-of-trumps-presidency
Thats how the rest of the world is seeing this, not good for Americas image worldwide.

John Welsford

C. Ross
09-04-2018, 03:20 PM
As a statement, that is in the same class as, "The war has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage"

The glory of the English language.

oznabrag
09-04-2018, 03:26 PM
“Many of the feuds and daily clashes have been well documented, but the picture painted by Trump’s confidants, senior staff and Cabinet officials reveal that many of them see an even more alarming situation — worse than previously known or understood. Woodward offers a devastating portrait of a dysfunctional Trump White House, detailing how senior aides grew exasperated with the President and increasingly worried about his erratic behavior, ignorance and penchant for lying.”

A book that says two scoops is crazy and his minions keep the truth from the rest of the world. This isn't exactly news but let's say it is.

First, we already knew it and the book tells us nothing that isn't documented daily.

Second, reds won't read it and would dismiss it if they did. It doesn't change a single vote.

Finally, BFD. Nothing changes until McTurtle and his red hoard of cohorts are dealt with.

And by 'Red Horde', I'm guessing you mean Mother Russia.

But he's not nuts in the way Trump is.

And he's up to his neck in this.

Unless you want the US to become a religious state, I don't think so. In many ways, I'd rather deal with crazy man evil than cold, calculating evil.

IMO, you don't have a choice.

What we have here is an evil crazy man acting at the direction of a cold, calculating evil man.

People keep saying they're grateful that Trump is so incompetent.

That may or may not be true, but he is acting as Putin wishes him to act, so Trump's own incompetence is relatively meaningless.

Canoez
09-04-2018, 03:29 PM
Considering the subject matter, I think the book isn't so much leaking, but oozing.

Gerarddm
09-04-2018, 03:40 PM
The Stumps won't care at all. But revelations like these MAY impel some Republicans who do not like our current president but who heretofore could not bring themselves to vote Democratic, to finally heed my signature and do so.

John of Phoenix
09-04-2018, 03:41 PM
And by 'Red Horde', I'm guessing you mean Mother Russia.

A double entendre of sorts. Mother Russia and his red enablers in congress.

skuthorp
09-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Some disruption in the Senate I see, the USSC has been a political football for some years, the risk now is that it becomes completely partisan and where does that leave the country?

Hugh Conway
09-04-2018, 04:10 PM
the risk now is that it becomes completely partisan and where does that leave the country?

It's been toxically partisan for almost 20 years, if not longer.

Keith Wilson
09-04-2018, 04:40 PM
It's been toxically partisan for almost 20 years, if not longer.For a very, very long time, off and on. Look up Lochner v New York (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochner_v._New_York), and 'implied freedom of contract'.

Joe (SoCal)
09-04-2018, 05:32 PM
Possibly one of the most anticipated books on Trump, so far.

https://azmoderaterants.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/madkingdonald.jpg?w=584

Chip-skiff
09-05-2018, 12:22 AM
Golly, this thread just isn't much fun without the usual suspects.

Anyhow, I'd say Trump represents the Republican party very well. To a 'T' in fact.

I won't enumerate the ways, lest I give offense to the few RWW partisans lurking unbanned in the Bilge. I'd hate to get them in trouble.

As far as Pence being a bigger threat than Trump: rubbish!

Jesus notwithstanding, the man has the charisma of a half-frozen cat turd.

Garret
09-05-2018, 06:16 AM
I am concerned about Pence because he can come across as reasonable & after Trump, would seem normal enough to where people would relax. While they relaxed, he'd be pushing his whole religious/I know what's best for you RW agenda. I think most people (Rep & Dem) have no idea what a nasty piece of work Pence is.

oznabrag
09-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Golly, this thread just isn't much fun without the usual suspects.

Anyhow, I'd say Trump represents the Republican party very well. To a 'T' in fact.

I won't enumerate the ways, lest I give offense to the few RWW partisans lurking unbanned in the Bilge. I'd hate to get them in trouble.

As far as Pence being a bigger threat than Trump: rubbish!

Jesus notwithstanding, the man has the charisma of a half-frozen cat turd.

And half the native intelligence, if the reports are to be believed.

I am concerned about Pence because he can come across as reasonable & after Trump, would seem normal enough to where people would relax. While they relaxed, he'd be pushing his whole religious/I know what's best for you RW agenda. I think most people (Rep & Dem) have no idea what a nasty piece of work Pence is.

Charles F Manson would come across as rational after DT! :D

Pence's nasty runs deeeep.

He is a Dominionist, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_theology) and therefore a traitor to the Constitution, by virtue of his having taken the Oath of Office.

He holds the Constitution lower than his Sky Pal.

The Oath says
I, (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_office_of_the_Vice_President_of_the_United _States#cite_note-2)

Those who would violate the Establishment Clause are, by definition, enemies of the Constitution.

Therefore, Dominionism = Treason.

Garret
09-05-2018, 09:22 AM
And half the native intelligence, if the reports are to be believed.

Charles F Manson would come across as rational after DT! :D

Pence's nasty runs deeeep.

He is a Dominionist, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_theology) and therefore a traitor to the Constitution, by virtue of his having taken the Oath of Office.

He holds the Constitution lower than his Sky Pal.

The Oath says

Those who would violate the Establishment Clause are, by definition, enemies of the Constitution.

Therefore, Dominionism = Treason.

Thanks for helping me make my point! :)

oznabrag
09-05-2018, 09:32 AM
:D :D

Garret
09-05-2018, 08:36 PM
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report (https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newyorker.com%2Fhumor%2Fbor owitz-report&data=02%7C01%7C%7C417cf7aa373b4171facf08d61398d99a %7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6367 17944529739144&sdata=FF1s%2FbueYqzBJn5r0YMrO%2FJAbEhewV2IKLkQRIQe IK4%3D&reserved=0))—Donald J. Trump obtained an advance copy of Bob Woodward’s new book (https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2F150117551 3%2F%3Ftag%3Dthneyo0f-20&data=02%7C01%7C%7C417cf7aa373b4171facf08d61398d99a %7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6367 17944529739144&sdata=L9wCDvNruVa6qyZ6c2xv24gXLcbsENU9pkgJ4bogyzQ% 3D&reserved=0) Monday evening and was “furious” to discover that Woodward had written it at a seventh-grade reading level, a White House aide has confirmed.
The aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that Trump was convinced that Woodward wrote the book for seventh-grade readers to make its assertions impossible for Trump to refute.
“Trump was turning page after page, becoming increasingly angry at its gratuitous use of a seventh-grade vocabulary,” the aide said. “It was like it was written entirely in a secret code.”
At one point, Trump became so frustrated trying to decipher the word “imbecilic” that he hurled the book across the room.
“Book bad!” he reportedly shouted.
According to the aide, Trump’s daughter Ivanka is dreading that she will be called upon to read the Woodward book aloud to her father, as he has demanded she do with books by James Comey (https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2F125019245 5%2F%3Ftag%3Dthneyo0f-20&data=02%7C01%7C%7C417cf7aa373b4171facf08d61398d99a %7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6367 17944529739144&sdata=9z%2FVolKMzqN54HCrgb1LPLpvqlTn2WVGQTE0KMesfI M%3D&reserved=0) and Omarosa Manigault Newman (https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2F198210970 X%2F%3Ftag%3Dthneyo0f-20&data=02%7C01%7C%7C417cf7aa373b4171facf08d61398d99a %7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6367 17944529739144&sdata=9kbbZH78w6pBgHfpMDqtsNkkkIyDJcTJYOvGmycTo4M% 3D&reserved=0).
“In the past, Ivanka has begged off by saying she was too busy running her company, but she can’t do that anymore,” the aide said.

Keith Wilson
09-05-2018, 08:40 PM
https://media.newyorker.com/cartoons/5b8ffb01f241c1681cbddf12/master/w_767,c_limit/DC090518.jpg