PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists: DIARY OF A CONCUSSION

sharpiefan
08-30-2018, 06:35 PM
"It’s hard to understand a brain injury until you have one."

I opened my eyes to see a clear blue sky and two men leaning over me to put a brace around my neck. I don’t know if I was already on the stretcher or if I was still on the pavement, but there are plenty of things I don’t remember. As I would later find out, I had a brain injury.

Was I badly hurt, I asked. I felt as though someone had smashed a two-by-four across the entire left half of my face. The two men on either side of me carefully lifted my upper body to finish with the brace, giving me a view of my legs. I wiggled my left toes, which were more obliging than my lips. It couldn’t be that bad, I decided. My spinal cord still worked.

The man on my right — either an EMT or a paramedic; I had no way of knowing — asked if I knew where I was. Was I… outside the Whole Foods? Did I know what happened, he asked. No. Wait… when the bronze car turned left in front of me, cutting me off, I hit the brakes on my bike. It didn’t matter, I remembered realizing. I wouldn’t stop in time. The next thing I remembered was the sky. I had been unconscious for about 15 minutes.

DIARY OF A CONCUSSION (LINK) (https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/16086018/concussion-diary-brain-injury-recovery-symptoms)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

wizbang 13
08-30-2018, 07:15 PM
I'm 7 months out from braining myself while getting up to take a leak.
Not a hunert percent yet.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1876/42566318240_eb7b0f6fc5_z_d.jpg
My personality has changed a bit,My wife and son say I'm a bit kinder and gentler. I forgot most of my favorite jokes. I still speak with the occasional 5 second random silent gap.Sometimes I cry for no apparent reason.

Jimmy W
08-30-2018, 08:27 PM
An old friend died after tripping over her dog and hitting her head on a coffee table.

Vince Brennan
08-30-2018, 09:37 PM
So the MSgT had been watching me parry and re-strike in Ground Protection Drills and he wanted to know where I'd learned using the M-14 as a substitute for the Cudgel Stick.

Five minutes later I was listening to "Da Choidys Burp"and I've never walked right since.

I still can't close my eyes and NOT feel like I'm falling.

Well, that's how stuff happens. At least I'm still breathing....

He died of Pancreatic Cancer. Ask me how sad I am.....

Art Haberland
08-30-2018, 09:41 PM
as a one time serious cyclist, accidents of that nature scared me silly. I thankfully never had more than a few bits of road rash and a few bruises from the couple of times my bicycle and a nearby car tried to inhabit the same space. Friend of mine is going through a nasty divorce thanks to a concussion. His soon to be ex fell and got herself a major concussion. Her personally did a major flip and she blamed him for everything.

Rich Jones
08-30-2018, 10:09 PM
I had one minor concussion from a skiing accident 12 years ago. I was "out" for only 20 seconds or so, but I didn't know which way was up for a few minutes after opening my eyes. My helmet saved me from a more serious head injury. Too bad the helmet didn't save me from the broken pelvis suffered in the same fall!