PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes GOD give you an opportunity.

genglandoh
08-23-2018, 01:20 PM
I know that some on this forum do not believe in GOD, but I do.

There have been a few times in my life where GOD has given me the opportunity to do the right thing.
Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

This time I have seen it.

Some may remember that I joined the Big Brother Little Brother (BBLB) program 1 1/2 years ago.
It has been a great experience for me but this summer I saw a new opportunity.

My little (AnDre) lives on a major country road and can not ride his bike to friends, so he does not have many friends.
During a BBLB swimming event he was playing with another boy LI.

Li does not have a big brother but instead his Mom who is very busy was acting as his big brother.
I talked with her at the event to see it Li could come with AnDre and I the following week for some bowling.
She said yes but warned me that Li was a little special.
From what I saw he was just a normal kid so I did not worry about it.

Well AnDre and Li get alone so well we have included him in most of our outings.

AnDre has a great adopted family, his older brother in college also spends time with him.
AnDre is in the program because his Mom died and his dad just could not take care of him.
His dad is a good man but he has trouble handling life.

Li is a little different.
I have noticed that Li is always very worried about making a mistake and always saying sorry.
For example one time we were eating ice cream in the car and he dropped some on the seat.
He was very worried about it but I don't care, after all kids always make a mess when eating ice cream.

Li also has a very low opinion of himself.
When I asked him with he wanted to do when he grows up he said the the only he is any good for is working in a restaurant.

Well last night I texted his mom to see if he could go with us to a baseball game labor day weekend.
She replied yes and continued to explain that she has seen an improvement in Li.

She then texted me that her husband (Li's step-father) is always yelling at his and thinks he is useless.
Very sad.

So today I have decided I will be spending the next few years helping Li.

My plan is to have one-on-one time with each of them to do schoolwork.
But also include Li on most of my outings with AnDre.

Here is a pic of the boys climbing on some rocks at Nelson Ledges State Park

lupussonic
08-23-2018, 01:23 PM
That's great Geng, power to you.

A shame you have to put your mind in a box to do good things however.

Breakaway
08-23-2018, 01:25 PM
You rock, man!

Kevin

C. Ross
08-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Good work!

David G
08-23-2018, 02:31 PM
An excellent way to spend your time.

TomF
08-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Well done, Geng.

LeeG
08-23-2018, 02:43 PM
well done.

Keith Wilson
08-23-2018, 02:44 PM
Well done! Y>

BrianY
08-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Yes, very well done.

Tom Montgomery
08-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Admirable!

Thank goodness. I was seriously beginning to wonder about geng.

skuthorp
08-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Some stepfathers can be very dangerous to their partners previous children. I think it's very primitive response from a rather primitive persona.
I'd be a bit careful of this man yourself Geng.

Joe (SoCal)
08-23-2018, 04:19 PM
DAMN Geng I hate your politics, but I love you as a person !!!

Right on !

Tom Montgomery
08-23-2018, 04:22 PM

Right on !Very much like my brother-in-law.

Peerie Maa
08-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Some stepfathers can be very dangerous to their partners previous children. I think it's very primitive response from a rather primitive persona.

Yep. Lions kill the cubs when they take over a pride.

Art Haberland
08-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Like Skuthorp said, be careful around the man, but you are doing wonders with the kid. good luck to all three of you!

john welsford
08-23-2018, 05:03 PM
I know that some on this forum do not believe in GOD, but I do.

There have been a few times in my life where GOD has given me the opportunity to do the right thing.
Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

This time I have seen it.

Some may remember that I joined the Big Brother Little Brother (BBLB) program 1 1/2 years ago.
It has been a great experience for me but this summer I saw a new opportunity.

My little (AnDre) lives on a major country road and can not ride his bike to friends, so he does not have many friends.
During a BBLB swimming event he was playing with another boy LI.

Li does not have a big brother but instead his Mom who is very busy was acting as his big brother.
I talked with her at the event to see it Li could come with AnDre and I the following week for some bowling.
She said yes but warned me that Li was a little special.
From what I saw he was just a normal kid so I did not worry about it.

Well AnDre and Li get alone so well we have included him in most of our outings.

AnDre has a great adopted family, his older brother in college also spends time with him.
AnDre is in the program because his Mom died and his dad just could not take care of him.
His dad is a good man but he has trouble handling life.

Li is a little different.
I have noticed that Li is always very worried about making a mistake and always saying sorry.
For example one time we were eating ice cream in the car and he dropped some on the seat.
He was very worried about it but I don't care, after all kids always make a mess when eating ice cream.

Li also has a very low opinion of himself.
When I asked him with he wanted to do when he grows up he said the the only he is any good for is working in a restaurant.

Well last night I texted his mom to see if he could go with us to a baseball game labor day weekend.
She replied yes and continued to explain that she has seen an improvement in Li.

She then texted me that her husband (Li's step-father) is always yelling at his and thinks he is useless.
Very sad.

So today I have decided I will be spending the next few years helping Li.

My plan is to have one-on-one time with each of them to do schoolwork.
But also include Li on most of my outings with AnDre.

Here is a pic of the boys climbing on some rocks at Nelson Ledges State Park

Whether I agree with your religious beliefs or not, I do very much agree with what you are doing there, that will really make a difference for the kids you work with.
Well done,

John Welsford

john welsford
08-23-2018, 05:05 PM

I agree, have seen that happen, but have to say that marrying a woman with a 5 year old daughter and falling in love with both of them has been the highlight of my life.

John Welsford

John B
08-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Well thats just remarkable. well done.
Reminds me of what Ed and Sheryl do too, totally admirable.

Robbie 2
08-23-2018, 05:16 PM
Good news in the bilge.

johnw
08-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Well done, you.

Rum_Pirate
08-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Well done.

Hang in there for the long haul. Y>

PeterSibley
08-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Right on !

What Joe said !

Bob Adams
08-23-2018, 06:57 PM

willmarsh3
08-23-2018, 08:00 PM
That's awesome! Helping the world be a better place one child at a time is as good as anyone can do.

genglandoh
08-23-2018, 08:06 PM

I met the stepfather a few times and he seems OK.
One thing I will not do is make any negative comments to him about his parenting.
I do not want him to take it out on Li.
Instead I will just talk about what a great kid his son is and even praise him for doing a good job.
Maybe it will help.

CWSmith
08-23-2018, 10:28 PM
Sounds like you're doing something very worthwhile. Those kids are lucky to have you.

genglandoh
08-23-2018, 10:50 PM
For those who are interested in the program is available in the following countries.
Australia
Austria
Bermuda
Bulgaria
Canada
Cayman Islands
Ireland
Israel
Netherlands
New Zealand
Poland
Russia
South Korea
Trinidad and Tobago
United States of America

The website:
http://www.bbbsi.org/
Contact Info:
Big Brothers Big Sisters International.
450 E. John Carpenter Fwy, Suite 250
Irving, TX 75062
E-mail: info@bbbsi.org

webishop14
08-23-2018, 11:18 PM
There's no finer gift than what you are giving those boys. To have touched another's life is the true measure of one's wealth.

amish rob
08-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Dre looks like an entirely different kid from when you started! What a lovely hammy pose.

Li looks like a kid I knew named Chris. He has a great smile.

You are changing the world, Brother. For the better.

Peace,
Robert

Concordia...41
08-24-2018, 03:47 AM
A great story to start my day! Keep us posted on the boys and tell them I said hi from Florida!

-M

WX
08-24-2018, 06:34 AM

As Bob said but I will say you don't need a god to be a good man.

AlanMc
08-24-2018, 09:46 AM
way to KICK A$$ geng. that's seriously karate chopping this thing we call life. i don't know you, but that's some serious higher standard stuff you should be proud of.

side note: man, as a father, i would feel like a TOTAL POS if my kids were having to be "big brothered" by another man. i know this is just a step dad, but still... i have a friend that married a girl with 2 kids from a POS deadbeat dad and has since adopted them and added 2 more of his own. he commands a lot of respect from me for taking that on and doing a great job. he also takes the position of not telling the kids what a POS their dad is. his philosophy is "they can see he's a POS, i don't need to tell them"

paulf
08-24-2018, 12:04 PM
The effect of your actions now may be felt decades from now, in a good way.

Start a thread! Do you think reaching out and helping kids is a good thing? :D

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-25-2018, 12:07 AM
Good on ya.

jpatrick
08-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Very admirable.

Jeff

genglandoh
11-29-2018, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the warning, you are right.

I got a text message on Saturday from LI's mom.
LI and his step dad got into a fight and family services are involved.
I told her that I would continue to do things with LI when I am in town.

The only change I will make is I will pickup and drop off LI when my other little brother is not in the car.
Just a little worried that something might happen and I need to protect my other little brother.

PS I did inform the mom of my other little brother about the situation and she said it we OK to keep taking both boys out together.
She also gave me a warning about protecting myself.

gilberj
11-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Congratulations Geng. What you are doing in this regard is really more important than most of the other things you might also be doing.
We do respite care for foster kids and other kids (some adopted kids with difficulties) that need a break. They come and stay for a few days or weeks as necessary.