X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Bow
    Still tender and callow f
    • Jul 2008

The Queen's Head

Commence jealousy — the Royal Navy just opened a pub on its prized new carrier

The future flagship of the Royal Navy, the 65,000-ton aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth, isn’t scheduled to complete its first real deployment until 2021, but that hasn’t kept the Brits from ensuring one morale-boosting element is installed and ready for duty.

A new pub, known as the Queen’s Head, was christened last week aboard the Queen Elizabeth and will be available to officers and senior enlisted during the ship’s maiden transit of the Atlantic, a journey that began Aug. 18 and one that features two embarked U.S. F-35B Lightning II aircraft from Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland.

The Wiltshire-based Wadworth brewery, which created an ale specifically for the ship’s December 2017 commissioning — a beverage appropriately named “Carrier Ale” — was instrumental in bringing the pub to life.

“Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
  • The Queen
    • Apr 2016

Re: The Queen's Head

Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps, thenk-you.
    Come on, feel the noise.

Comment

• oznabrag
      Historical Illiterate
      • Nov 2008

Pretty unfortunate choice of names, if you're asking me.
      Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• David W Pratt
        • May 2005

Perhaps combining the head and the pub is just an effort at efficiency

Comment

• Hugh Conway
          Banned
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by David W Pratt
          Perhaps combining the head and the pub is just an effort at efficiency
          I've been told a number of old west bars used to have piss troths under the bar, but I've never seen what exactly these looked like.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
            Old Grey Inquisitive One
            • Oct 2008

Back in the day submarine NCO's and Officers could get foreigners made in the yard. On one sub the NCO's had the stools in their mess replaced by upholstered padded disks that fit on top of a beer keg. That way they doubled their share of the beer store capacity.
            It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
            The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
              Flâneur • Seattle
              • Feb 2001

The Queen's Head

Originally posted by Hugh Conway
              I've been told a number of old west bars used to have piss troths under the bar, but I've never seen what exactly these looked like.

The Brick Saloon in Roslyn, Washington (famous from the TV show Northern Exposure) has been in operation since 1889. Oldest bar in the state.

It has a trough under the bar -- not a piss trough, though. It's a self-flushing spittoon for yer chaw.

The legendary Brick Saloon is Washington’s oldest continuously operating bar. Operating since 1889, this landmark saloon offers brews, pub grub & live music in cheery surrounds.

Here's a photo:

“The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
              — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• Breakaway
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nicholas Carey
                The Brick Saloon in....

It has a trough under the bar -- not a piss trough, though. It's a self-flushing spittoon for yer chaw.

The legendary Brick Saloon is Washington’s oldest continuously operating bar. Operating since 1889, this landmark saloon offers brews, pub grub & live music in cheery surrounds.

Here's a photo:

I'm SURE nobody ever pissed in it! ( LOL)

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

Working...