PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Brennan Owned Trump

ljb5
08-15-2018, 05:38 PM
I don't think anyone cares if ex-CIA Director James Brennan has an active security clearance.

Lately, what he has been doing is commenting on the president's tweets... and he doesn't need a security clearance to do that.

So Trump's lashing out at Brennan by pulling his security clearance is widely seen as petty, ineffective and irrelevant.

This doesn't do anything for national security and it doesn't hurt Brennan at all. All it does is expose Trump to a lot of criticism about how he uses his authority to stifle dissent and attack critics. It's certainly not going to stop Brennan from commenting on Trump's tweets. If anything, it frees Brennan up to be even more frank and critical.

leikec
08-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Who hasn't owned Trump? Putin made a fool out of him, Kim made a fool out of him, Avenatti (who's another clown in his own right) owned him, Stormy, Karen...the list goes on and on...

Jeff C

S.V. Airlie
08-15-2018, 06:11 PM
First Strzok, and now Brennan. Both end their careers in disgrace. It's been a bad week for Obama holdovers and other Deep Staters.

#winningBrennan, not even close. The one who will end up being disgraced when it's all done is, that POS in the WH.Future US History books will print the same thing after he's gone. And, I doubt whether he will be missed.

ljb5
08-15-2018, 06:15 PM
First Strzok, and now Brennan. Both end their careers in disgrace.

As if you even know the meaning of the word "disgrace." :rolleyes:

It's been a bad week for Obama holdovers and other Deep Staters.

It hasn't been a great week for Trump, Manafort, Omorosa, Kelly, Gates, Huckabee-Sanders or any of the other Trump shallow-staters either. :)

When Trump's team isn't shooting themselves in the foot, they're stabbing each other in the back.

TomF
08-15-2018, 06:17 PM
First Strzok, and now Brennan. Both end their careers in disgrace. It's been a bad week for Obama holdovers and other Deep Staters.

#winning
Actually, they're doing beautifully.

John of Phoenix
08-15-2018, 06:17 PM
Clapper, Comey Brennan, all of them are doing beautifully.

Garret
08-15-2018, 06:18 PM

#winning

Disgrace? Holding their heads high & everyone (except you I guess) laughing at what a petty little man Trump is.

#losers

S.V. Airlie
08-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Actually, lbj is right, regardless of losing his Security Clearance, apparently he didn't use it much, Brennan will continue to speak his mind about what a POS Trump is. To stop him, Trump is going to have to make this country a police state where he can arrest everyone who speaks badly about him. If he does that, one would hope that even his lemmings would revolt. Not a guarantee, just a hope, granted.

Chris Smith porter maine
08-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Who hasn't owned Trump? Putin made a fool out of him, Kim made a fool out of him, Avenatti (who's another clown in his own right) owned him, Stormy, Karen...the list goes on and on...

Jeff C

You missed Omarosa she is playing Trump Like a snare drum, spanking his fat self daily, only the best people work for Trump. Trump has now personally screwed a few career US government employees we didn't have a deep state that hated Trump but no worries he is building his own.

leikec
08-15-2018, 06:38 PM
You missed Omarosa she is playing Trump Like a snare drum, spanking his fat self daily, only the best people work for Trump. Trump has now personally screwed a few career US government employees we didn't have a deep state that hated Trump but no worries he is building his own.

I didn't miss her--just figured I wouldn't pile on. :D

Jeff C

Norman Bernstein
08-15-2018, 07:44 PM
First Strzok, and now Brennan. Both end their careers in disgrace.

The disgrace is Trump's... who retaliates with anyone who doesn't kiss his ass.

Brennan served this country honorably for decades.... and you think that simply because he opposes Trump, that's a reason to disparage the man?

StevenBauer
08-16-2018, 08:28 PM
GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham (http://thehill.com/people/lindsey-graham) (S.C.) says that former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn should lose his security clearance.

"I've always liked General Flynn but he's now pleaded guilty to a federal offense. I think he should lose his security clearance," Graham, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, told reporters Thursday.

Flynn, President Trump (http://thehill.com/people/donald-trump)'s short-lived National Security Advisor, pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI as a result of the ongoing investigation into Russian election interference.

Graham, a former Judge Advocate General (JAG) in the U.S. Air Force, made the comments in the wake of Trump's decision to pull former CIA Director John Brennan (http://origin-nyi.thehill.com/people/john-brennan)'s security clearance.

"I can't imagine sharing anything with Brennan given his hatred toward President Trump - I don't think he'd have any constructive input," Graham said, adding that he's "very concerned" with former FBI agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page and current Justice Department official Bruce Ohr "having security clearances."

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced that Strzok, Page, Ohr, and another handful of former intelligence or security officials are under review and may lose their clearance.

Senators on Capitol Hill during an unusual August work session largely reacted along party lines, with Democrats and some Republican critics decrying Trump’s decision as a political move to silence an outspoken critic.

"President Trump used the removal of a security clearance from a former career intelligence official as a way of showing his political displeasure with him - that's irresponsible that's wrong because we shouldn't be politicizing the process by which clearances are either granted or withdrawn,” Democratic Senator Chris Coons (http://thehill.com/people/christopher-coons) (Del.) said.

-Molly K. Hooper

Joe (SoCal)
08-16-2018, 08:36 PM
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39309639_2258541710905537_2317482160132456448_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=84e792f3e9b9dcb844630eecc48772a7&oe=5C00047F

Art Haberland
08-16-2018, 08:47 PM
I find this concept of the "deep state" to be an interesting one. Funny how no other presidents ever worried about it's near mythical existence.

Chip-skiff
08-17-2018, 12:16 AM
When Trump's team isn't shooting themselves in the foot, they're stabbing each other in the back.

Excellent! That captures the essence of it.

gypsie
08-17-2018, 01:00 AM
Being fired or otherwise persecuted by Trump is becoming a merit badge for integrity. They'll be amongst the few who can raise their heads when all this has blown over.
Even Omarosa in her twisted way seems to have found some kind of redemption.

Can't help feeling that Trump is losing.

RFNK
08-17-2018, 02:34 AM
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-17/retired-admiral-william-mcraven-speaks-out-against-donald-trump/10131364

Rick

PeterSibley
08-17-2018, 02:42 AM
Being fired or otherwise persecuted by Trump is becoming a merit badge for integrity. They'll be amongst the few who can raise their heads when all this has blown over.
Even Omarosa in her twisted way seems to have found some kind of redemption.

Can't help feeling that Trump is losing.

Only the best people are persecuted !

LeeG
08-17-2018, 03:58 AM
The disgrace is Trump's... who retaliates with anyone who doesn't kiss his ass.

Brennan served this country honorably for decades.... and you think that simply because he opposes Trump, that's a reason to disparage the man?

of course, loyalty to authoritarian rule is of greater value than access to expertise for Trump supporters. Blueys trolling character requires that he take a contrary position to most peoples common sense criticism of the GOP administrations dumb ass decisions.

LeeG
08-17-2018, 04:34 AM
oh the pretzl logic Trump supporters must resort to to process this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/revoke-my-security-clearance-too-mr-president/2018/08/16/8b149b02-a178-11e8-93e3-24d1703d2a7a_story.html?utm_term=.b88072732226

Dear Mr. President:

Former CIA director John Brennan, whose security clearance you revoked on Wednesday, is one of the finest public servants I have ever known. Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him.

Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency.

Like most Americans, I had hoped that when you became president, you would rise to the occasion and become the leader this great nation needs.

A good leader tries to embody the best qualities of his or her organization. A good leader sets the example for others to follow. A good leader always puts the welfare of others before himself or herself.

Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation.

If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken. The criticism will continue until you become the leader we prayed you would be.

LeeG
08-17-2018, 04:41 AM
https://www.lawfareblog.com/how-trumps-outburst-over-security-clearances-harms-presidency

Once again, Donald Trump has heedlessly jeopardized important institutional interests of the presidency in the service of his own personal pique. For years, courts have declined to review the merits of security clearance determinations, relying on Department of Navy v. Egan, in which the Supreme Court held that the kind of “[p]redictive judgment” embodied in the grant or denial of a clearance “must be made by those with the necessary expertise in protecting classified information,” rather than judges. Even when Congress established protections for intelligence whistleblowers, it provided only for administrative, rather than judicial, review. The Department of Justice and the intelligence community have vigorously, and successfully, defended this executive branch prerogative.

Osborne Russell
08-17-2018, 08:05 AM
It's to prevent people he can fire from talking to people he can't fire. Context, schmontext. Loyalty uber alles.

TomF
08-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Maddow observed that Brennan himself said that the only reason he's used his security clearance since he retired was to consult his own files in order to prepare for testimony to Congress etc. That will also be true for the other folks on Trump's persona non grata list, who are virtually all retired from public service. Maddow's suggestion is that this isn't just punishing folks Trump doesn't like using a symbolic sanction, it's got the effect of preventing adequate preparation for the provision of testimony in this or that official proceeding by the very people who were in positions of trust. It's messing with witnesses...

Osborne Russell
08-17-2018, 08:35 AM
"You know, the key to this situation seems to be a decision made back when. The guy who made it still around. Call him up. What? WTF do you mean we can't talk to him?"