PDA

View Full Version : Rudder mounting on Oughtred Tirrik, advise sought

Stray
08-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Hello, Im mounting the rudder and I have an issue with the lower rudder pintles. I can only get one through bolt in as the other one is in the rudder cavity. There is about half an inch of ply to fasten into. Does anyone have a solution to how best to do this. ?

the photo below shows the issue. its not my boat but the lower pintle must be fastened into the wall of the rudder housing somehow. im wondering what fastening to use and how please

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVwqcpFGe305ynKlpkMtHEJU1867y-B1hIHITrNQgAcyYrpTYx

Peerie Maa
08-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Short fat wood screws.
The screw holes in Peerie's rudder straps do not align side to side, so they are all screwed on

Ian McColgin
08-12-2018, 08:24 AM
As best I can make out from the pic is how I'd do it. The straps have two rivet fastenings, one going through the cheeks and a solid spacer, and the other serving as a pivot, going through the cheeks and the rudder blade. To keep that latter from getting too tight, make a bigger hole in the rudder blade and insert a bushing just a tad longer than the rudder is wide.

Make the rivets from bronze stock that you peen over. You can likely find a suitable size washer at the hardware store but it's cheaper to drill a hole in a penny.

Not for a rivet but here's the idea.

https://scontent.fbos1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/557203_3657296266135_364389601_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0a40e0810e801e467200e1e3c1bac283&oe=5C03E822

swoody126
08-12-2018, 09:01 AM
those lower bolts go thru from the inside out

several designers are designing kick up rudders like this nowadayz

if the raw bolt end bothers you simply use an acorn nut on the end

this is a Welsforfd SNS rudder w/ the same situation

hope this helps even though the pic came out sidewayz

sw

jtdums
08-12-2018, 09:31 AM
I think the original post was concerned that it wasn't possible to use two through bolts.

I had the same concern on my Oughtred design (basically same kick up rudder) I used one through bolt and two short, fat (and hard to find) stainless 1/4" screws and haven't had a problem.
Hope it helps

John Meachen
08-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Posts#2 and 5 are quite correct and the simplest way to proceed.If you can get one good through bolt in the assembly,you have more than enough strength,after all,the rig is held up by very similar sized pieces of metal in shear.The other fasteners are simply keeping the tangs at the correct angle and carrying a fraction of the load.The other suggestions will work but are less simple to implement.

Peerie Maa
08-12-2018, 03:14 PM
I think the original post was concerned that it wasn't possible to use two through bolts.

I had the same concern on my Oughtred design (basically same kick up rudder) I used one through bolt and two short, fat (and hard to find) stainless 1/4" screws and haven't had a problem.
Hope it helps

Silicon bronze may be easier to find and less worry than stainless.

Stray
08-13-2018, 03:50 AM
Thank you very much for your help. there is a time difference here so posted before sleep last night. great. I was hoping that the one bolt and a stout screw cut down would do. I might put some epoxy into the hole as well. As usual humbled by the help, thanks