X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gerarddm
    #RESIST
    • Feb 2010

Drag racing pachyderms

It's not the Bosporus, but we do get our share of marine traffic here on Admiralty Inlet.

Cruise liners coming to and fro from Seattle come by; we call them the parade of pachyderms. Usually they come by a half mile apart or so. Here are two drag racing up to the turn at Port Townsend; the outer one was doing maybe five knots more than the inner one>

Dueling cruise ships.jpg
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Re: Drag racing pachyderms

Have seen similar at Astoria. It's disconcerting.

I have a friend/client/supplier who is preparing a large motor-sailor for a circumnavigation. I did some work on it, but she and her parents have done almost everything. They picked it because it is a stout boat, stoutly built. One day when I was aboard looking at the next project, she asked me how many tons I thought the boat was. I guessed. It turned out to be almost twice that much. She then showed me a core from a hole-saw hole they'd cut in the deck to run some new mechanicals. The foredeck was over 5" thick, iirc. They were also kicking around potential names, and asked if I had any suggestions. I offered 'Packy' (for pachyderm... and also in honor of a long-term Portland Zoo resident). I don't think it was their fave.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• CWSmith
      New Hampshire
      • Nov 2008

I drove past the port at Cocoa Beach, Florida last week. Boy, are some of those cruise boats big!
      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• skuthorp
        • Jan 2002

I live in horror of the day Anne says "How about we go on a cruise?"

I will have to say no, find a friend to go with.

Comment

• Stiletto
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by skuthorp
          I live in horror of the day Anne says "How about we go on a cruise?"

I will have to say no, find a friend to go with.
          I feel the same, it would make me feel like I was trapped in a mall.
          There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• David G
            • Dec 2003

I have a friend who's done the Inside Passage a couple of times on a 'cruise boat' of sorts. It's a small working cargo vessel, with a couple of passenger staterooms. He loves that approach.
            David G
            Harbor Woodworks
            https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• John Meachen
              • Jan 2004

From the thread title I was expecting these.

Comment

Working...