PDA

View Full Version : Whither the Republican Party?

David G
08-05-2018, 01:42 PM
An interview with Maryland's guv - Larry Hogan --

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/opinion/sunday/republicans-donald-trump-larry-hogan.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftod ays-new-york-times&action=click&contentCollection=todayspaper&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=collection

isla
08-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Or - wither the Republican Party. If only |;)

johnw
08-05-2018, 02:02 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/opinion/sunday/republicans-donald-trump-larry-hogan.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftod ays-new-york-times&action=click&contentCollection=todayspaper&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=collection
That's the kind of Republican you get in a Democratic state. As long as they hold all the key positions of power, why would you compromise? That's the dynamic nationally.

oznabrag
08-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Or - wither the Republican Party. If only |;)

Another vote for withering.

skuthorp
08-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Some of the middle rank may still be Republicans, but the party as was no longer exists. Donald took it over.

CWSmith
08-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Some of the middle rank may still be Republicans, but the party as was no longer exists. Donald took it over.

Donald just took advantage of an evolution that has been occurring for years. The Republican Party is led by traitors wrapped in the flag. Their loyalties are not to Democracy.

oznabrag
08-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Donald just took advantage of an evolution that has been occurring for years. The Republican Party is led by traitors wrapped in the flag. Their loyalties are not to Democracy.

And they've finally found just the heavy goon to drown our government in a bathtub.

No WAY they're gonna turn on him.

Art Haberland
08-05-2018, 06:09 PM
I have been wondering, when did the government become "the problem"? It seems to me that the boomers hated the government due to the Vietnam war.. they had their chance to change it when the came of age and started taking over, yet they still hate the government and feel it is a problem?

skuthorp
08-05-2018, 06:30 PM
The parties that make up "the Government" the Vietnam generation hated still exist. They were not dealt with at the time and got away with, and continue to get away with murder, and their power and practices continue with the generation that hated them.

BTW Hate is likely a too strong emotion at this distance, but if it was my son/father/brother/friend that was sacrificed to a pack of lies I would certainly still hate and want a reckoning.

Art Haberland
08-06-2018, 12:26 AM
You know, for a moment I thought I read this thread as "Whiter the Republican party?"

gypsie
08-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Do you think he's right?

Everybody, regardless of where they are on the spectrum, wants civility. They want bipartisanship.

70 percent of people are in the middle.

Strikes me that there are a lot more than 15% of Reps who want chaos. I'd guess about the same size as Trumps approval ratings.....

skuthorp
08-06-2018, 01:38 AM
The big criticism in Aus of our warring parties by the voters is the same. Stop the abuse and grandstanding they actually want Parliament to run the country, not watch the parties and factions feuding amongst themselves.

oznabrag
08-06-2018, 07:57 AM
If this pic is any indication, the 'Republican' Party is swirling down the tubes directly into the Maw Of Satan, where it belongs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj2cn1zUUAAzvhX.jpg

Garret
08-06-2018, 08:08 AM
If this pic is any indication, the 'Republican' Party is swirling down the tubes directly into the Maw Of Satan, where it belongs.

I just don't get that TShirt. Do they have any idea what living in Russia is like? Then I wonder why such hate towards Democrats. I guess it shows just how different Trump supports are from true conservatives.

Seriously - any illumination into the mindset behind this would be appreciated.

oznabrag
08-06-2018, 08:14 AM
I just don't get that TShirt. Do they have any idea what living in Russia is like? Then I wonder why such hate towards Democrats. I guess it shows just how different Trump supports are from true conservatives.

My take is that those people are of the mindset that there's no way an American President/Presidential candidate could possibly have conspired with the Russians to throw the election (unless of course that President were really born in Kenya, or was involved with a pedophile sex ring in the basement of a pizza joint), so the shirts' statement is meant to tweak the silly Democrats who seem to believe that their Shining Avatar of MAGA could possibly be corrupt.

That's why I call them Morons.

Osborne Russell
08-06-2018, 08:18 AM

They're not Americans.

Osborne Russell
08-06-2018, 08:21 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/opinion/sunday/republicans-donald-trump-larry-hogan.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftod ays-new-york-times&action=click&contentCollection=todayspaper®ion=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=collection

Both sides of the interview avoid all discussion of principle. Why is this guy a Republican at all? Did he flip a coin? The Republicans have more free shrimp? I'm a Republican, but I'm independent? No you're not.

David G
08-06-2018, 08:24 AM

This is one facet of the decades-long push by the R's on divisive, hot-button, 'wedge' issues, and the emotional - sometimes obvious, sometimes subtle (even subliminal) - appeal to the always-present but now-unleashed tribalism. Encouraging people to stay firmly anchored in Type1 thinking. Is is precisely the sort of dysfunction that Acton was warning against.

David G
08-22-2018, 10:51 AM
How Now, Republicans?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/analysis-cohen-plea-gop-faces-familiar-trump-quandary-042608845.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Moments after Donald Trump's former personal attorney implicated the president of the United States in a felony, Sen. John Cornyn declared "People who do bad things, who break the law need to be held accountable."

Cornyn, the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, quickly made clear his statement wasn't aimed at Trump.

For Republicans, Tuesday's courtroom drama revived an uncomfortable and all-too-familiar predicament. On a seemingly weekly basis, party leaders and lawmakers have found themselves trying to explain away a slew of Trump-generated controversies, hoping that occasionally stern statements can carry them through until the latest round of chaos blows over. It's a strategy the party has leaned on through Trump's refusal to unequivocally blame Russia for meddling in the 2016 election, through his statements equally blaming white supremacists and counterprotesters for violent clashes in Charlottesville, Virginia, and through his numerous insults aimed at women and minorities.

But Trump attorney and fixer Michael Cohen's extraordinary plea deal — it came less than an hour after former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort was found guilty of eight financial crimes — ups the pressure on the GOP in a midterm election year.

Cohen's plea marks the first time a Trump associate has been found guilty of a crime directly related to the 2016 election. And it's a crime Cohen says Trump was not only aware of, but personally involved in carrying out.

"This is a huge threshold we just crossed today," said Zac Petkanas, a Democratic operative who specializes in Trump opposition research.

Yet the initial response from Republicans offered little indication that the party planned to treat Cohen's revelations any different than the numerous other controversies that have dogged Trump during his 17 months in office. Most GOP lawmakers simply said nothing about Cohen's guilty plea. One of the few statements from Republican leaders came from an unnamed spokesperson for House Speaker Paul Ryan, who said the speaker was aware of Cohen's plea to "these serious charges" and needed "more information than is currently available at this point."

By now, the political calculus for Republicans is clear. Lawmakers see little incentive to distance themselves from Trump when even his most egregious statements do little to shake his support from Republican voters. The president's command of the party faithful was on display Tuesday night when he delighted a friendly crowd at a West Virginia rally for more than an hour. At this point, the only GOP officials who have consistently spoken out against the president are those who aren't running for re-election and don't need Trump backers on their side in the midterms, such as retiring Sens. Jeff Flake of Arizona and Bob Corker of Tennessee.

Gerarddm
08-22-2018, 11:06 AM
70% of the people are NOT in the middle. 45% will vote for either a Democrat or Republican. It's the last 10% that will be hotly contested.

As for Republicans in general, they have been basically worthless since Watergate.

SEE MY SIGNATURE. VOTE ACCORDINGLY.

Kevin T
08-22-2018, 11:58 AM

They make a cute couple, arm in arm such as they are. Both with faces flushed red from overeating and seething with a righteous rage. The gentleman on the right looks passive enough but his comrade with a hand perched ever so dramatically on his right hip, his jaw set in arrogant defiance. I can only hope that the two of them are greater than a 1000 miles from where I type.

David G
08-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Why... Gerard... I'm beginning to develop the smallest hint of a ghost of an impression that you don't totally approve of today's Republican Party...

David G
08-22-2018, 12:30 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39821237_852522994952391_4478330612486242304_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=1&oh=157c40f8cf09246dc42dcb515e2ee3f2&oe=5C38B1D5

johnw
08-22-2018, 02:39 PM

It means they hate and fear their fellow citizens more than their nation's international rivals. And once your politicians are happy to work with your international rivals, decline is inevitable. We could go the way of the Polish-Lithuanian Empire: http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blogspot.com/2014/11/how-democracy-ends-sjem-wiemar-problem.html

The Make America Great Again slogan really is ironic. Trump is doing all he can to make Russia great again, at the expense of American influence. And why would he or his followers try to stop Russia from intervening in American politics, when they do so on Trump's behalf?

Russia may prove far better at exporting fascism and kleptocracy than they ever were at exporting communism.