PDA

View Full Version : TV hits a new low

CWSmith
08-05-2018, 07:24 AM
I caught an episode while I was in Florida last week. It's called "Seven Year Switch". Pseudo-therapists arrange for couples to switch spouses for 2 weeks and live with the other person (with cameras on them). What they are really doing is setting up troubled marriages to cheat. They play up the possible cheating aspect and it destabilizes the marriages even further. It's really a loathsome show that takes reality TV to a new low. What amazes me most is that people actually watch this trash and enjoy it. I wanted to take a shower and get clean after I saw it.

Hwyl
08-05-2018, 07:30 AM
You clearly haven;t seen "Naked Attraction", on Britain's Channel 4.

CWSmith
08-05-2018, 07:38 AM
What's the expression? - "Give the public what they want!"

Here in New England we have a local show on public TV called "Windows to the Wild". It features an old guy who goes hiking in interesting places and has interesting conversations (often with himself). It's addictive. No nudity. I love it.

John Smith
08-05-2018, 07:39 AM
I've often wondered what it says about people that Jerry Springer, Maury, et al have shows that remain so popular.

The Bigfella
08-05-2018, 07:43 AM
I just watched some fantastic TV. MotoGP at Brno. Fabulous racing.

Flying Orca
08-05-2018, 07:45 AM
I've often wondered what it says about people that Jerry Springer, Maury, et al have shows that remain so popular.

I think there are a lot of people out there who need to see that their lives are better than somebody's​.

Paul Pless
08-05-2018, 07:48 AM
When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.

But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials — many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it.

Television and all who participate in it are jointly accountable to the American public for respect for the special needs of children, for community responsibility, for the advancement of education and culture, for the acceptability of the program materials chosen, for decency and decorum in production, and for propriety in advertising. This responsibility cannot be discharged by any given group of programs, but can be discharged only through the highest standards of respect for the American home, applied to every moment of every program presented by television. Program materials should enlarge the horizons of the viewer, provide him with wholesome entertainment, afford helpful stimulation, and remind him of the responsibilities which the citizen has toward his society

Flying Orca
08-05-2018, 07:52 AM
When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.

I've never seen anything that comes close to a good book, or better yet a good series of books.

Jim Mahan
08-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Have you ever heard someone say, "the movie was way better than the book?" Maybe the few that were movies first, and the book is really just a marketing after-thought. Ever heard anyone say, "[anything] on tv is way better than the book?"

OTOH, ever hear anyone ask the suggestive question, "Hey, baby, it's Saturday night. How 'bout some novel and chill?"

Flying Orca
08-05-2018, 08:34 AM
ever hear anyone ask the suggestive question, "Hey, baby, it's Saturday night. How 'bout some novel and chill?"

That's pretty much Saturday night around our house, unless I have a gig or Oystagirl is up at the lake.

Paul Pless
08-05-2018, 08:37 AM
. . .or Oystagirl is up at the lake.and then its 'party on'?

Nicholas Scheuer
08-05-2018, 08:39 AM
We mostly watch PBS, or films. The three "Chicago" dramas (PD, Fire, Med) are about it for network TV. I sometimes wonder if we'll even understand the dialog in ten years.

Peerie Maa
08-05-2018, 08:41 AM
I wonder at the mentality and level of self respect of the punters who volunteer to appear on those shows.

birlinn
08-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Am I the only one on here that has no TV?

Keith Wilson
08-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Have you ever heard someone say, "the movie was way better than the book?"There is one - The Secret of Roan Inish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Roan_Inish), a lovely little film about selkies, set on some island off the west coat of Ireland, good music, currachs. the book was Secret of the Ron Mor Skerry, by Rosalie Fry; It's OK, not nearly as good. I can't think of any others.

I have a TV, but I keep it in the back room and drag it out occasionally to watch a DVD, or the Olympics.

ron ll
08-05-2018, 09:40 AM
I thought the MASH tv series was better than the movie, but that’s rare.

Paul Pless
08-05-2018, 09:48 AM
I can't think of any others.there is one movie which is equal to the book it's based upon; and both the movie and the book are among if not the greatest works of american fiction

To Kill a Mockingbird

David G
08-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Just because a show CAN be watched... doesn't mean it SHOULD be watched.

There's more dreck than jewels, but plenty of good watching available.

BrianY
08-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Sure there's a lot of crap on TV. There are also a lot of crap books, crap music, crap art, crap film, crap theater. As in everything else, if you're selective and discerning, you can find gold among the dross. Condemning the whole medium because of the crap is arrogant, snobbish and foolish.

i'll never understand why people care about the Kardashians, volunteer to appear on Springer or are drawn in by "reality" tv, but I do understand that no one is forcing me to watch that stuff and that with the push of a button or two on my remote, I can change the channel. With cable I can usually find something to watch. If not, I can always turn it off and do something else.

Which is is more of a waste of time and brain cells: watching a TV show that makes me laugh or reading and posting on this forum?

Flying Orca
08-05-2018, 09:56 AM
and then its 'party on'?

No, it just means I'm reading by myself, unless you count the cats.

Flying Orca
08-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Pretty close for me; I have a TV mounted on my living room wall, but I only use it as a computer and DVD monitor. I've lived most of my life without television.

However, when Oystagirl was going through chemo, she ordered cable TV and installed a TV in her room, because she knew there would be days when even reading was too difficult. She hasn't got rid of it yet, and very occasionally watches veterinary or home improvement shows. I believe it is technically possible to access cable television on my monitor, but I haven't done so and I don't plan to.

Flying Orca
08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Condemning the whole medium because of the crap is arrogant, snobbish and foolish.

Agreed; there are much better reasons for condemning the whole medium.

ron ll
08-05-2018, 10:05 AM
My favorite tv lately is Black Sheep Squadron reruns. The drama is corny and I’m sure far from the reality of the war in the Pacific, but watching the planes is great.

CWSmith
08-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Have you ever heard someone say, "the movie was way better than the book?"

A River Runs Through It might qualify as narrowly better. Might. The story was significantly changed.

CWSmith
08-05-2018, 10:09 AM
there is one movie which is equal to the book it's based upon; and both the movie and the book are among if not the greatest works of american fiction

To Kill a Mockingbird

Agreed! Both are treasures of American story telling.

Keith Wilson
08-05-2018, 10:13 AM
there is one movie which is equal to the book it's based upon; and both the movie and the book are among if not the greatest works of american fiction: To Kill a MockingbirdGranted. I think movies based on short stories can more easily be better than the original - A River Runs Through It, Babette's Feast . .

Puttputt
08-05-2018, 10:28 AM
No, it just means I'm reading by myself, unless you count the cats.
Your cats can read?? Mine can’t even count.

David G
08-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Your cats can read?? Mine can’t even count.

Mine can tell time. Dog can too. They KNOW when it's dinner time. The cats act like they can read, and sit on top of any book I'm reading <G>

ron ll
08-05-2018, 10:36 AM
My cats can use my keyboard, which might explain a couple of the sock puppets around here. They have trouble with the mouse concept however.

paulf
08-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Make that 2, I got rid of mine 25 years ago. Folks come into my house and say...man, you got a book problem!

Garret
08-05-2018, 11:07 AM
I thought the movie "The Bible" was better than the book...

:p

We don't watch much of broadcast (no cable - but we get all the major networks + CBC & some other Canuckistan channels) - but are enjoying Eureka on Amazon right now.

Ron Williamson
08-05-2018, 11:37 AM
I watch reruns of Mythbusters and Battlebots.
Sometimes the news,but it's pretty depressing especially the Doug Ford BS.
R

Jim Mahan
08-05-2018, 11:53 AM
I have long wondered why the bulk of Hollywood, especially in the few decades, has been so dependent on sequels and brands and so-called franchises, when our literature is so comparatively rich with movie-able ideas. Actually, it is only a wonder rhetorically; the reason is the vertical marketing, and the conservative notion of why mess with success at the box office formula with artsy stuff no one wants anyway, mentality. Explans the superhero and faux science fiction slash fantasy magic crap that are so box office.

Sometime back in the fifties or sixties, an author whose name I can't recall, famously responded, when someone else commented, regarding current science fiction, that "eighty percent of this is crap," that "eighty percent of everything is crap." Or something like that.

If a film is well done, and it happens to be titled the same and based on a book, I am okay regarding it as a separate but related piece of art. It isn't the same as a student copying the famous Mona Lisa, but more as if a contemporary of Leonardo also happened to have used the same model and painted a portrait which languishes in relative obscurity, still art in it's own right.

Jim Mahan
08-05-2018, 11:54 AM
My cats can use my keyboard, which might explain a couple of the sock puppets around here.

Very shortly after moving in with my wife number four, going on thirty years ago, we were awakened at two in the A.M. by someone playing the piano downstairs.

One of the two cats had gotten locked in the garage, which had a door into the common area next to the piano. The older cat had heard the other cat meowing and decided to wake us up to let it out.

I don't think I can adequately describe how un-nerving it was to come out of a deep sleep to that piano 'music.' It sounded a lot like the discordant soundtrack of a B horror movie when the psycho creep was on the stairs. We both freaked. We learned to, A, not lock the cat in the garage, and B, keep the keyboard lid down on the piano.

David G
08-05-2018, 12:12 PM
We have an older tv - which the kids used for gaming. We have basic cable as a throw-in with our phone/internet package. After an initial burst... it hasn't been on for many months.

But I am enjoying watching some tv series on netflix. Lots of good tv out there. 'Hell On Wheels' was good, as was 'Godless'. I really enjoyed watching the whole 'West Wing' thing.

CWSmith
08-05-2018, 12:38 PM
I thought the movie "The Bible" was better than the book...

:p

The movie had a better editor.

sharpiefan
08-05-2018, 06:10 PM
I have long wondered why the bulk of Hollywood, especially in the few decades, has been so dependent on sequels and brands and so-called franchises, when our literature is so comparatively rich with movie-able ideas. Actually, it is only a wonder rhetorically; the reason is the vertical marketing, and the conservative notion of why mess with success at the box office formula with artsy stuff no one wants anyway, mentality. Explans the superhero and faux science fiction slash fantasy magic crap that are so box office.

Sometime back in the fifties or sixties, an author whose name I can't recall, famously responded, when someone else commented, regarding current science fiction, that "eighty percent of this is crap," that "eighty percent of everything is crap." Or something like that.

If a film is well done, and it happens to be titled the same and based on a book, I am okay regarding it as a separate but related piece of art. It isn't the same as a student copying the famous Mona Lisa, but more as if a contemporary of Leonardo also happened to have used the same model and painted a portrait which languishes in relative obscurity, still art in it's own right.

Sturgeon's Law (LINK) (http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/S/Sturgeons-Law.html)
“Ninety percent of everything is crud”. Derived from a quote by science fiction author Theodore Sturgeon, who once said, “Sure, 90% of science fiction is crud. That's because 90% of everything is crud.”

skuthorp
08-05-2018, 06:53 PM
"What's the expression? - "Give the public what they want!""

I may be a cynic, but years in advertising taught me that you can never underestimate the taste and intelligence of the general public.

CWSmith
08-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Am I the only one here who watches Big Bang Theory? I laugh at every episode.

Garret
08-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Am I the only one here who watches Big Bang Theory? I laugh at every episode.

I cannot force myself to watch it. The show makes me want to run away - so I do - or just hit the Off button. :)

CWSmith
08-06-2018, 05:56 PM
I cannot force myself to watch it. The show makes me want to run away - so I do - or just hit the Off button. :)

Really? :) I have known those guys all my life...

normil
08-06-2018, 06:06 PM
You clearly haven;t seen "Naked Attraction", .

Yep, seen that (Very briefly) I almost threw up. Meanwhile, my wife is laughing hysterically on the couch

normil
08-06-2018, 06:10 PM
I wonder at the mentality and level of self respect of the punters who volunteer to appear on those shows.

Yep. It never ceases to amaze me what some people will subject themselves to for attention

Breakaway
08-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Here we are decrying reality TV while participating in reality Internet.

At least the TV participants get paid.

Kevin

Daniel Noyes
08-06-2018, 09:05 PM

Here in New England we have a local show on public TV called "Windows to the Wild". It features an old guy who goes hiking in interesting places and has interesting conversations (often with himself). It's addictive. No nudity. I love it.

Gott'a love Willem Lang... and Fritz Weatherby of NH Crossroads before that!

Paul Pless
08-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Here in New England we have a local show on public TV called "Windows to the Wild". It features an old guy who goes hiking in interesting places and has interesting conversations (often with himself). It's addictive. No nudity. I love it.no nudity! who wants to see a naked old guy anyways???

paulf
08-06-2018, 09:24 PM
no nudity! who wants to see a naked old guy anyways???

A naked old lady?