X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Memphis Mike
    Banned
    • Jun 2001

Italian Food

Been craving Italian food lately. What else is there besides pizza, spaghetti, and lasagna? I will be making pizza later this evening. Homemade crust....not so homemade sauce. Looking for original Italian recipes. BTW, we have our first wood fired pizza restaurant in Memphis. I have yet to try it.
  • Clarkey
    • Sep 2010

Re: Italian Food

Saltimbocca? Sarde in Saor? Mussetto (delicious with griddled polenta slabs)?
    Last edited by Clarkey; 07-19-2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• FF
      • Oct 2005

Pesto alla Genovese

Comment

• David W Pratt
        • May 2005

Veal piccata
        Osso buck with risotto
        Prosciutto with ripe canteloupe
        Tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and basil
        Baked ziti
        Manicotti
        Mangia!

Comment

• Peerie Maa
          Old Grey Inquisitive One
          • Oct 2008

All sorts of filled pasta
          It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
          The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• FF
            • Oct 2005

This weekend we had Spaghetti alla Vongole when sailing the Waddenzee. Found cockles while dried out saturday, cooked them sunday with garlic, chilipepper and some dry white wine.

Comment

• jonboy
              Senhor Member
              • Mar 2009

flour and water, flour and water, flour and water, and oh, some tomatoes….I've never seen the romance of italian food...Risotto is th worst kind of rice dish, all over cooked and stodge, but cast your net a little wider in the Med and you will find , from the Genoese coast, west to Provence and South East south, down to Napoli, excellent seafood and simple fresh fish. Basic dishes are always paisano food, and good, but never, to use that awful expression , haute cuisine. Like Portugal, like Spain, fantastic fresh summer veg and fruit, seasonal fish, But Italian meat dishes are good if you like the offal and long stew style. They have the cheese, they have the cured pork, but so does every Med or Atlantic coast country. Generally not good grazing so forget the beef and lamb, unless you are in fértile green áreas. Goat is good , but Greece and Portugal do it better, There's a dish here that I used to find a replica almost, in the north , near Dolomiti, which is basically ears, nose, trotters, belly, beans and garlic. made here its called Carne Portuguese. Its delicious because it is garlic, olive oil, tomato, coriander and other field herbs, orégano, ...just pick out the wierd gristly bits if you want security and comfort. Italians have a dish which almost certainly the Romans brought to Lusitania, whole mature chicken or cockerel cooked in its own blood, feet head, beak , gizzards, and if its a beyond a laying lady chuck, probably pre-eggs or two. its called cabidela here, but I have never seen it it in a ristorante Itali, thereano. go to a piedmontese or calabrian family and you will eat well. Many south Italians haven't heard of pasta, its polenta cos wheat doesn't grow well but corn maize does.

Osso Buco .bones and meat and a good sauce.
              Theres a variety on the south Lisbon west coast Porco Alentejana which is pork tenderloin and clams. to die for.
              If my eyes don't deceive me, there's something going on around here

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                Banned
                • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Peerie Maa
                All sorts of filled pasta
                Oh yes. I almost forgot. I have been fixing the stuffed ravioli with a simple sauce made from just tomatoes and salt.

Comment

• David G
                  • Dec 2003

Lots of good thoughts already. I'll add just a few of my faves --

Marinated eggplant and/or mushrooms

Zuppa ala Pavese: chicken soup with poached eggs

Mussel soup

Cioppino: seafood medley soup

Baked artichoke heart omelet

Polenta w/various sauces - my fave is a cream sauce

Fettuccine with butter and romano (or parmesan): dead simple

Spinach gnocci (dumplings)

Spaghetti with various sauces. My two faves are clam sauce/egg and bacon sauce

Chicken braised with green peppers & tomatos

Braised pork chops with tomato & garlic

And then there's the Italian versions of various veggies
                  David G
                  Harbor Woodworks
                  https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                    Old Grey Inquisitive One
                    • Oct 2008

Chicken livers, or oxtail also feature in Italian cooking. There are many combinations of veg, cheese and meat in those pasta fillings.
                    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• FF
                      • Oct 2005

Often on the boat we have Spaghetti alla Putanesca.

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
                        Lurking since 1997
                        • Sep 1999

Go to your local library and check out two books: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan and Lidia's Mastering the Art of Italian Cuisine by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and Tanya Bastianich Manuali.
                        "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• jonboy
                          Senhor Member
                          • Mar 2009

That makes Italian food sound like sandwiches with different fillings, which was my point really..

I did get arrested by the food police in Agordino north of Verona for collecting funghi without a licence, I wasn't, as it happens, I was collecting wild growth hops for beer brewing. But the mushrooms are the dog's bollix there so no wonder they are protected. but still, what do they use them for, oh yeah, a pasta sauce.
                          If my eyes don't deceive me, there's something going on around here

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2001

David G. What is the recipe for polenta? I have been wanting to try that. I have never had it.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                              • Jun 2003

Italians have fish, as many varieties and as many ways to prepare it as you could ever think of.
                              They have that green stuff too (vegetables/salad), they have meat, bread, soup, cheese and wine, deserts and pastrys
                              I think one is only limited to the imagination with Italian food.

Here is the short list of about 500 dishes...

Comment

Working...