PDA

View Full Version : It's a sad, sad day

CWSmith
07-16-2018, 05:58 PM
I really do feel a tremendous sadness. Work was good today and I largely ignored the news until I got home. We seem to have reached an all-time low that I could never have imagined just one year ago.

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 06:03 PM
I feel tremendous anger.

gypsie
07-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Not only is he not on his allies side, he's not even on America's.

ron ll
07-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Same here. A tiny speck of hope however when I turn on Fox News for a bit to see how they were spinning it, and they weren’t. Even the Fox pundits are angry at Trump, Chris Wallace, and even Newt Gingrich are calling on Trump to answer for this disgraceful meeting.

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Trump has managed to unite Republicans and Democrats in revulsion of his performance in Helsinki.

But will the Republicans in Congress DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT?

I'm not holding my breath.

Paul Pless
07-16-2018, 06:22 PM
how does john francis kelly take it i wonder
day in and day out

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 06:23 PM
John Kelly is another miserable creature. I have become convinced that he is a Trumpist. His first loyalty is not to his country but to ill douche.

ron ll
07-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Now would be good timing for Mueller to drop a few more indictment bombs.

Mike J
07-16-2018, 06:28 PM
I get it CW, I really do. But I think that today Trump gave us a great gift; he butt kissed Putin in front of the world's cameras in a way that ever the mouth-breathers among us can't deny. His hubris brought him face to face with an actual authoritarian and he was weak and submissive. Trump could have avoided revealing himself as the little man behind the curtain instead of the great wizard. Most importantly, he left his strongman fanboys twisting in the wind.

I would not be surprised to see Trumper R's up for re-election pivot this week, angling for a way to redact their support.

Mike

Mike J
07-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Now would be good timing for Mueller to drop a few more indictment bombs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/07/16/timeline-the-odd-overlap-of-maria-butina-the-gun-rights-movement-and-the-2016-election/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9fa508267248

Ancillary, but I think we're seeing the first drops of a coming storm.

Mike

ron ll
07-16-2018, 07:18 PM
When this all starts falling apart, I hope liberals do not take an I told you so in your face attitude with former Trump supporters. It’s a time to come together as one country against our common foes.

C. Ross
07-16-2018, 07:25 PM
"Germany is captive to Russia."

Heh. Heh heh heh. HAAAA!!!

Play that next to the clip of Trump fawning over Putin.

gypsie
07-16-2018, 07:27 PM
When this all starts falling apart, I hope liberals do not take an I told you so in your face attitude with former Trump supporters. It’s a time to come together as one country against our common foes.

The way wingnuts have spun Trumps incompetence as genius suggests to me that any sigh of relief will be interpreted as gloating.
They are extremely partisan and reason hasn't played a part in their discussions so far, there will be no coming together - they won't allow it. We'll have to prise their red MAGA hats from their cold......

ron ll
07-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Okay, I take it back. Earlier today I gritted my teeth and watched Fox News for a while and was surprised to see reporting that was anti Trump for his despicable performance in Helsinki. I thought we might be seeing small slivers of coming together. But noooooo! I tuned in later to see them up to their old tricks of ignoring the major story and dredging up whatever picky little crap they could find to show any liberal in a bad light. Of course they are out there, liberals who do stupid things. But this is NOT today’s major story. Not by a long shot. History is being made in the worst possible way and Fox chooses to again isolate their loyal viewers from what is happening.

READ MY LIPS!! If you are a Fox News loyal viewer, you are being kept in the dark and lied to. And no, this is not the same thing the liberal or neutral press is doing. CHANGE THE DAMN CHANNEL! Even for a few minutes. I did.

paulf
07-16-2018, 08:42 PM
What runs this country is...wait for it.....MONEY. If it don't effect them nothing will be done. They will watch and wait, then go with where the money is.

If you'r surprised you haven't been watching.

Republicans are generally traitors to anything that cuts their profits...always.

Osborne Russell
07-16-2018, 10:03 PM
I really do feel a tremendous sadness. Work was good today and I largely ignored the news until I got home. We seem to have reached an all-time low that I could never have imagined just one year ago.

Cheer up. Wait, first I have to say, told ya.

OK, now cheer up. There could be a silver lining in the form of heightened awareness of the significance of the constitution.

skuthorp
07-16-2018, 10:38 PM
John Kelly is another miserable creature. I have become convinced that he is a Trumpist. His first loyalty is not to his country but to il douche.
I think his record says otherwise Tom, he may actually ba a true patriot, 'taking one' for the country by staying and trashing his own prospects. I think of that line about keeping your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Daniel Noyes
07-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Not only is he not on his allies side, he's not even on America's.

what's this US against Them Cold War mentality??? Obama showed us all that the world is a warm fuzzy place where Iran and Cuba are full of wonderful cultures and blossoming with LOVE.... What is Up with Liberals and their EVIL EMPIRE talk?

Lew Barrett
07-16-2018, 10:57 PM
Redacted.

Daniel Noyes
07-16-2018, 11:09 PM
^Wow. Just wow.

is everyone here really that dull and confused why Trumpy would

#1 demand EU nations contribute more toward NATO... then
#2 meet with Russias leader and put on a show of tolerance and rapprochement

do we really need to spell it out for bilge leftys? or do they not want to admit that Trumpy is a master negotiator?

paulf
07-17-2018, 12:41 AM

do we really need to spell it out for bilge leftys? or do they not want to admit that Trumpy is a master negotiator?

Great thinking! Lets see, who will take the biggest loss if things go sideways in Europe with Russia??? Kinda like investing in a buffer, let them take the heavy losses, and we can decide if we want to play, you know like in WWII where it took us (and the greatest generation) months to decide if we were gonna $hit or get off the pot.

birlinn
07-17-2018, 04:10 AM

Stop it noisy- you will have me spilling coffee, sorry cofefe, over the keyboard again.
But thanks for the laughs anyway.

epoxyboy
07-17-2018, 05:29 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/07/16/timeline-the-odd-overlap-of-maria-butina-the-gun-rights-movement-and-the-2016-election/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9fa508267248

Ancillary, but I think we're seeing the first drops of a coming storm.

Mike
Alexander Torshin. Is that the guys actual name? It's like a really bad play on words - "Nothing like a bit of LexTorshin to make people change their minds". :D
I don't know what the end game is or final consequences will be, but right now this is so much better than anything on TV. Drama, suspense, scandal, some really bad acting, a super model and a villain or two. And young Billy Bob on the soybean farm, thats been in the family for generations, but facing foreclosure on account of them Chinee. His character doesn't feature very often though.

Pete

C. Ross
07-17-2018, 05:30 AM

Is that what you think happened? Just those things and nothing else?

How would you compare President Trump's "show of tolerance and rapprochement" with Putin (and Kim Jung Un, or China's ZTE, or a dozen other Trump cave-ins for that matter) with his own blistering critique of every President before him for being too weak?

Lets try this one: two days earlier he condemned Germany for being controlled by Russia by agreeing to a natural gas pipeline. Was he right? If so, in what ways is America not controlled by Russia for capitulating on election meddling and failing to address Syria, Ukraine and other issues? Is there an answer other than "Trumpy is strong, others weak"?

CWSmith
07-17-2018, 07:23 AM
"Germany is captive to Russia."

Heh. Heh heh heh. HAAAA!!!

Play that next to the clip of Trump fawning over Putin.

I was at a picnic Saturday and someone went on and on about how Merkel was a communist. The distraction works for some people.

skuthorp
07-17-2018, 07:27 AM
Vlad could hardly contain himself, at one point I thought he was about to burst out laughing

Mike J
07-17-2018, 08:02 AM
I was at a picnic Saturday and someone went on and on about how Merkel was a communist. The distraction works for some people.

Clearly many people have never moved past the me!me!me! stage and realized that all civilization is built on cooperation and compromise. That is also possibly why Daniel has not answer C. Ross's question.

Mike