View Full Version : What is it?

07-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Bit of flotsam washed up on the beach on the Barbados east coast a couple of days ago.

It is aerofoil shaped, but it does not really look like a rudder from a boat - perhaps it is a control foil from a glider?

It has a strange section of black plastic that is recessed into the right side and can be pulled out as shown.

Re dimensions, the span is approx 20", the chord at the top 12", and the chord at the bottom 6".
The maximum thickness is about 2.5" - the thickness is less at the top.
The hole for the stock / control shaft is approx 1.75" diameter, with a smaller 0.75" diameter hole further inside.

19529 19530

So what is it ?

Flying Orca
07-16-2018, 02:33 PM
The colour makes me think of a plane off a small submarine.

07-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Part of an Underwater Robot? (LINK) (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/these-underwater-robots-offer-new-way-sample-microbes-from-ocean-180968577/)


07-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Could very well be one of those.