PDA

View Full Version : Ex-CIA Brennan says Trump is "Treasonous"

Nicholas Scheuer
07-16-2018, 01:22 PM
He ought to know. People who support Trump?

Rich Jones
07-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Trump is a true patriot!!! He goes out of his way to point out the faults of both Europe and the U.S.
"If only we all did what Russia wants and behaved like Russia, this world would be a perfect place!"
All hail Trump, Putin's puppet.

TomF
07-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Sweet Jesus. It is worse than even the pessimists feared.

isla
07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Numerous Republicans have criticized Trump's remarks today, even some tea-party types like Joe Walsh..

Look, I'm no big deal, but today is the final straw for me. I will never support Trump again. If that makes me a NeverTrumper, so be it.
I am a tea party conservative, that will never change. But Trump was a traitor to this country today. That must not be accepted.

Speak out.

— Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) July 16, 2018

Two Fox news hosts, Neil Cavuto and Abby Huntsman, have criticised Trump's comments today. Abby Huntsman, who is the daughter of the US Ambassador to Russia, tweeted..
No negotiation is worth throwing your own people and country under the bus.

Cavuto called Trump’s performance “disgusting” and part of a presser that “set us back.”

(https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/1018891221425704960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

Osborne Russell
07-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Sweet Jesus. It is worse than even the pessimists feared.

Why would people go this far and then stop? What else are they going to do?

American exceptionalism has always been narcissistic.

Steve McMahon
07-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Trump is a treasonous moron. All y'all gotta do something before he destroys your frikkin country.

S.V. Airlie
07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
And when a reporter asked Putin whether he wanted Trump to win in 2016, Putin said yes! Blows the Republican theory sky high doesn't it?

Ian McColgin
07-16-2018, 02:22 PM
I do not approve to loose, almost third world dictator style, blather about "treason". In the US we have the tightest, most limited legal standard for treason. It's waging war against the US or giving aid and comfort to an enemy with whom we are at war. You will note that the Rosenbergs were executed for espionage. The USSR was our enemy at that time but we were not at war and thus the espionage charge could not rise to treason.

Trump is destroying our fragile democracy but it's not through treason.

oznabrag
07-16-2018, 02:26 PM
I do not approve to loose, almost third world dictator style, blather about "treason". In the US we have the tightest, most limited legal standard for treason. It's waging war against the US or giving aid and comfort to an enemy with whom we are at war. You will note that the Rosenbergs were executed for espionage. The USSR was our enemy at that time but we were not at war and thus the espionage charge could not rise to treason.

The level of cyber-attacks by the Russian Government rises to the level of a war, IMO.

Given your strictly conservative position on this issue, it would be impossible for any individual to commit Treason against the US since May 8, 1945.

Pretty toothless.

Osborne Russell
07-16-2018, 02:30 PM

The definition of treason has been limited in US law for good reasons, as you mention. However, it had a meaning before that, a core moral meaning. That doesn't change with the law.

Chris Smith porter maine
07-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Trump sure looked like Putin's submissive b*tch today, he definitely looked weaker than any president I can remember.

John of Phoenix
07-16-2018, 02:33 PM
To all the trumpsters suddenly turning NeverTrump -

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/he-tells-it-like-it-is-paul-not.jpg

LeeG
07-16-2018, 02:34 PM
A quick run down.
“The Press” is the enemy of the people.
The various intelligence agencies are wrong.
The FBI is so biased against Trump they kept the investigation of Trump a secret but released information about an investigation on Clintons email server.
Our allies have taken advantage of us.
Our trading partners have taken advantage of us.
Anything passed by Obama is bad and must be renegotiated or void even when experts in the field say those policies were needed.
EPA regulations for methane emissions relaxed, etc.
More firings and resignations than all of recent presidencies.
Trade wars under way.
Obama Scotus pick subverted but a potus under investigation should get all he wants, who cares what comes out of Mueller investigation regarding a compromised president.

tax cuts for the rich and debt increased.

GOP is complicit.

Ted Hoppe
07-16-2018, 02:34 PM
According to the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)

906a. ARTICLE 106a. ESPIONAGE
by admin on Jul.21, 2010, under 10. Punitive Articles

(a) (1) Any person subject to this chapter who, with intent or reason to believe that it is to be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of a foreign nation, communicates, delivers, or transmits, or attempts to communicate, deliver, or transmit, to any entity described in paragraph (2), either directly or indirectly, any thing described in paragraph (3) shall be punished as a court-martial may direct, except that if the accused is found guilty of an offense that directly concerns (A) nuclear weaponry, military spacecraft or satellites, early warning systems, or other means of defense or retaliation against large scale attack, (B) war plans, (C) communications intelligence or cryptographic information, or (D) any other major weapons system or major element of defense strategy, the accused shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court- martial may direct.

(2) An entity referred to in paragraph (1) is–

(A) a foreign government;

(B) a faction or party or military force within a foreign country, whether recognized or unrecognized by the United States

(C) a representative, officer, agent, employee, subject, or citizen of such government, faction, party, or force.

(3) A thing refereed to in paragraph (1) is a document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, note, instrument, appliance or information relating to the national defense.

(b) (1) No person may be sentenced by court-martial to suffer death for an offense under this section (article) unless–

(A) the members of the court-martial unanimously find at least one of the aggravating factors set out in subsection (c); and

(B) the members unanimously determine that any extenuating or mitigating circumstances are substantially outweighed by any aggravating circumstances, including the aggravating factors set out under subsection (c).

(2) Findings under this subsection may be based on–

(A) evidence introduced on the issue of guilt or innocence;

(B) evidence introduced during the sentencing proceeding; or

(C) all such evidence.

LeeG
07-16-2018, 02:35 PM
To all the trumpsters suddenly turning NeverTrump -

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/he-tells-it-like-it-is-paul-not.jpg

It’s amazing how many times I’ve heard that.

leikec
07-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Brennan is right.

Jeff C

John of Phoenix
07-16-2018, 02:46 PM
He tells it like it is.It’s amazing how many times I’ve heard that.I work with a number of reds and the other day in an office meeting one of them said that was the primary reason he admired two scoops.

"He says what he thinks and doesn't care what anybody thinks about it."

"If I may, he says what he thinks At. That. Moment. His "positions" change like a hyperactive teenager changes TV channels."

Osborne Russell
07-16-2018, 03:01 PM
"If I may, he says what he thinks At. That. Moment. His "positions" change like a hyperactive teenager changes TV channels."

That's what it is, so if that's what's he's saying, he's telling it like it is! Doesn't mean it's worth a S.

"If I take your money and promise to deliver something, I'm saying what I think. If later I say F U, I'm not delivering it, and I'm keeping your money, I'm also saying what I think. What I think after I get your money."

Or something. I wonder if many times where they're coming from is: I can't understand so much of what people say, I need someone to say things I can understand. But then the people I can't understand say those things are bull S. What am I supposed to do? |:(

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Former intel chiefs condemn Trump's news conference with Putin:

Former US intelligence chiefs expressed astonishment and condemnation Monday in response to President Donald Trump's comments at Monday's news conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin, with former CIA Director John Brennan calling the US President's performance "nothing short of treasonous."

Following his one-on-one meeting with Putin in Helsinki, Finland, Trump declined to endorse the US intelligence community's assessment that Russia interfered in the 2016 election over Putin's denial, saying the Russian President was "extremely strong and powerful" in his denial.

"Donald Trump's press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of 'high crimes & misdemeanors.' It was nothing short of treasonous," Brennan, a frequent critic of Trump who served as CIA chief from 2013 through January 2017, tweeted during the event. "Not only were Trump's comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???"

Former Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Trump "failed America today," but stopped short of calling the President's behavior "treasonous."

"I would not have said it the way John (Brennan) said it. John can say it the way he wants to say it. But as to impeachment, we'll see how this plays out. That's a congressional responsibility and the Congress must do what they think is in the best interest of this country," Hagel told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

The Obama-era defense secretary said that Trump didn't appear to have a strategy.

"This was not a golf outing. This was not a real estate transactional kind of arrangement. ... Engagement must be connected to a strategic interest, a strategic purpose. I don't know what that strategic purpose was. I am now convinced we didn't have one," Hagel said, later remarking that the meeting with Putin marked "a sad day for America" and "a sad day for the world."

Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, who served during the Obama administration, called the news conference "truly unbelievable."

"On the world's stage, in front of the entire globe, the President of the United States essentially capitulated and seems intimidated by Vladimir Putin. So it was amazing and very, very disturbing," Clapper, a CNN national security analyst, told Anderson Cooper Monday afternoon.

Former CIA and National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden, who led the NSA during the final years of George W. Bush's presidency, also expressed dismay over the President's performance.

In one tweet, Hayden expressed agreement with an analysis that Trump believes Putin more than American intelligence agencies. And when another user tweeted "holy f****n s**t" following the news conference, Hayden responded, "I agree."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/16/politics/john-brennan-donald-trump-treasonous-vladimir-putin/index.html

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Even FoxNews is dismayed by Trump's performance:

Putin eats Trump's lunch in Helsinki -- This is no way to win against Russia

Monday in Helsinki, President Trump left many deeply disappointed in his approach to his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

There was nothing inherently wrong with Trump’s summit with Putin. In fact, I would argue that in many cases, some of the best diplomacy comes through face-to-face meetings with adversaries. Still, the meeting was highly problematic in how little Trump delivered on the serious issues surrounding Vladimir Putin and Russia’s place in the modern world.

At their joint press conference, President Putin was calculated and in control. Conversely, President Trump seemed to lack authority, praising Putin when he should have been condemning him, and ceding opportunities to confront Putin on his most egregious actions of the past decade – including meddling in the 2016 election and the illegal annexation of Crimea in 2014.

During Putin and Trump’s prepared remarks, it was rather obvious who had led the discussion. While President Putin laid out a clear framework for advancing Russian interests within the context of U.S.-Russia relations, Trump appeared to have had little plan, alternating between vague promises of improving our relationship with Russia and spending too much time on U.S. domestic affairs, notably the 2016 presidential election. Instead of holding Putin accountable for his election interference, he referenced his defeat of Hillary Clinton.

For a sitting U.S. president to say publicly that he believes a foreign leader over his own intelligence team is shocking and admonishable. At a time when our democracy faces grave threats, it is deeply troubling that the president would side with the very country who attacked us.

When Trump said, “It’s a shame that there could even be a little bit of a cloud over it. People know that, people understand it,” it was a clear example of him circumventing the question.

At one point, President Trump even cited, incorrectly, the Electoral College tallies from over two years ago. This was all in an attempt to deflect questions that he was apparently unable to answer.

Crucially, there were no concessions from Russia on any of the issues that needed to be addressed. Even more concerning, Trump was unwilling to even make the United States’ case on these issues, and the failure to hear concessions from Putin mirrors the lack of follow-through on the grand promises of the recent North Korean summit with another murderous authoritarian, Kim Jong Un.

Despite each nation backing different sides in the Syrian conflict, Trump suggested he and Putin would begin working in conjunction to bring humanitarian aid to the people of Syria, regardless of the fact that the need for humanitarian aid largely stems from Putin’s unabashed support for Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad.

Additionally, Trump also failed to address the concerns of our NATO allies Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania in the Baltics regarding the territorial threats they persistently face.

Trump, throughout the entire press conference, failed to condemn or even acknowledge the illegality of Putin’s actions in Crimea and Ukraine.

When asked if he would hold Russia accountable for any of its past actions, Trump deflected and deferred. President Trump’s unwillingness to stand up to Russia on this issue only serves to weaken the Western alliance and encourage further Russian incursions into the territory of sovereign nations now that Putin knows Trump will give him a pass.

Most importantly, on election meddling, Trump refused to stand with U.S. intelligence and charge Putin with interference, saying he doesn’t “see any reason why it would be” the Russians carrying out the illegal meddling.

For a sitting U.S. president to say publicly that he believes a foreign leader over his own intelligence team is shocking and admonishable. At a time when our democracy faces grave threats, it is deeply troubling that the president would side with the very country who attacked us.

Additionally, Trump’s failure to distinguish between campaign collusion and Russia’s blatant attack on our democracy allowed Putin to sow more discord during the press conference.

“Could you name a single fact that would definitely prove the collusion? This is utter nonsense, just like the president recently mentioned,” Putin told a reporter.

Trump, and our country for that matter, can only win against Putin if we are assertive about American goals and our values. President Trump failed to accomplish that on Monday.

Instead of standing up to Putin, Trump offered to cooperate with Russia on some of the very issues that Russia is causing.

As some very wise analysts have noted, this strategy is like allowing a criminal to investigate his own crimes. It is foolish and naive and President Trump must simply do better going forward.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/07/16/putin-eats-trumps-lunch-in-helsinki-this-is-no-way-to-win-against-russia.html

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 03:19 PM
You must admit one thing: Trump has united Republicans and Democrats in their condemnation of his performance w/Putin in Helsinki.

Osborne Russell
07-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Even FoxNews is dismayed by Trump's performance:

Better than nothing, but all this was crystal clear during the campaign, when these now-dismayed people were doing all they could to make Trump President. Why should they be trusted now, until they get dismayed about themselves?

woodpile
07-16-2018, 03:24 PM
The level of cyber-attacks by the Russian Government rises to the level of a war, IMO.

Given your strictly conservative position on this issue, it would be impossible for any individual to commit Treason against the US since May 8, 1945.

Pretty toothless.

So do you want to declare war on China too?

China continues to wage forward in cyber attacks, stealing intellectual property in the process despite political pressures by the US government. Also, China's cyber espionage campaigns appear to be more streamlined. The purpose of these attacks is to mostly hack the networks of US government and its allies. As per a research, 27.24% of cyber attacks are initiated by China. And according to various estimates, 41% of the world’s cyber attacks trace their genesis back to China.

https://securitytoday.com/articles/2017/03/03/top-5-countries-where-cyber-attacks-originate.aspx

John of Phoenix
07-16-2018, 03:27 PM
"Republican Patriots: Where are you???"

This has to become the battle cry if trump is to be stopped.

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Better than nothing, but all this was crystal clear during the campaign, when these now-dismayed people were doing all they could to make Trump President. Why should they be trusted now, until they get dismayed about themselves?I don't trust them at all. But I am enjoying their pain.

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 03:30 PM
John McCain: "One of the worst performances of an American president in memory."

oznabrag
07-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Your Sleazy Jesus just bent over and took one from his hero, Vlad.

No wonder you want to change the subject.

The subject is that you and your ilk have been mindlessly supporting and apologizing for a wretched, lying con artist.

It's hard to admit you've been snookered, but you really ought to find that last scrap of patriotism, wash the Vlad off of it, give it a little polish, and try to see if you can pin it to your chest without having it burn a hole straight through you.

skuthorp
07-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Some one here called it "a liars conference".
I guess the question is, Is Donald the United States now? And if not what is the US going to do about him? And if nothing can be done what then?

Tom Montgomery
07-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Things are looking up for a blue wave in November. Would that count as the US doing something about him? It will take a Democratic majority in Congress to impeach his sorry a$$. It just might happen.

S.V. Airlie
07-16-2018, 03:40 PM
I don't trust them at all. But I am enjoying their pain.But, they are tired of winning!

skuthorp
07-16-2018, 03:50 PM
I am very interested what our lickspittle politicians will do now. You have your own serious problems and don't need me to criticise any more.
I will however continue to ask questions.