PDA

View Full Version : so many interesting ways this ends badly - lol

Paul Pless
07-15-2018, 09:29 AM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/386eb4ca8ebe359ee449586d422647c6/tumblr_nwmjuaC5fx1slwun0o1_1280.jpg

CWSmith
07-15-2018, 09:49 AM
That's one way to scrape the top of the mast clean.

Canoeyawl
07-15-2018, 10:15 AM
That's one way to scrape the top of the mast clean.

Except for that brown streak...

Ian McColgin
07-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Where the Columbia passes Portland are some bridges with a clearance height scale, which mattered much to a boat I often crewed on. If Bonneville had dumped a lot of water, the clearance was whatever lower than the mast. I took to bringing my K&E loglogdecitrig along to divide the clearance by the mast height (plus I never told the owner I added a 6' safety factor), flip the slip stick, and move from sine to angle which I'd round off, again in direction of safety. If we could reach that angle by overtrimming on a course that got us under, we strapped in and went for it.

Gotta love three significant digits.

Somewhere on the internet is a video of a sloop that is clearly used to going under a bridge down stream from her berth. Pump water into the inflatable which is hung from the main halyard to get the boat to the target heel. Very dramatic.

Found it. video of sloop heeled to get under bridge Water bags, not inflatable. I can't quite see how they developed increasing heel and really don't quite see how they come back up without letting the bags down. That's 51 degrees of heel. Pretty good stability curve.

John B
07-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Bit of a catastrophe should the topping lift break.

Pitsligo
07-15-2018, 05:24 PM
It would be that last bridge that's visible in the OP photo's background that I'd be worrying about. They're going to need 90 of heel for that one... :d

Alex

Paul Pless
07-15-2018, 05:25 PM
what i want to see, or erm what would be most interesting to see. . .

would be for her to list all the way over and put her rail and all those guys hanging off the side under water, at which point they let go

and launch masthead dude in a gorgeous arc over that bridge :D

John B
07-15-2018, 05:29 PM
^ A Trevorbuchet

SchoonerRat
07-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Just north of Victoria, on Vancouver Island, is a small town called Deep Cove. I spent a summer cruising the San Juan Islands on a 50' cutter. One of our ports of call was Deep Cove. The harbor master directed us to a slip on the shore-ward side of their pier. Deep Cove was not as deep as we were led to believe. When our forward progress was halted by a large submerged rock, I pushed the boom out and shinnied out to the end of it, hoping to heel the boat enough to free us. A couple of guests apparently thought I knew what I was doing, and like lemmings, began to follow me. The topping life, which was not designed to carry that much weight, didn't, and I suddenly found myself submerged to my shoulders. The water in that part of the world is not particularly warm. I quickly found myself walking on water to the dry safety of teak decks. When the harbor master was unable to pull us free with his Boston Whaler, I pointed to the "NO WAKE" sign just off our beam and requested that he break that rule. A few minutes of him zooming around us in circles bounced us off the rock. He found us a different slip!

Jimmy W
07-15-2018, 06:59 PM
Making St. Louis bridges with inches to spare

https://youtu.be/tz4qYv-2z9c

Dave Hadfield
07-15-2018, 08:29 PM
^ A Trevorbuchet

HAH!!!

Chris249
07-15-2018, 09:31 PM
There's a bridge in Sydney my 28'er would fit under at half tide or less. One day we were sitting at the clubhouse balcony a mile away when we saw a Catalina 42 try to fit under it..... The bridge carried the busiest road in the Continent, so they are very lucky the falling spar fell backwards.

We had the opposite problem in Lake Macquarie (ie not enough underneath the waterline rather than not enough on top) which is solved like this; lean her over with one powerboat and tow through the soft sand with another.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
07-15-2018, 09:41 PM
A friend of mine tried to pull the mast over at the dock, with the main halyard on a 19' keelboat with a stubby keel to replace the Windex. Snapped the top of the mast off, had to replace the mast. Fortunately there was a scrap mast around the boatyard that was longer and the same section and we were able to adapt it to fit.