PDA

View Full Version : Added charges in P.R. flag assault

David G
07-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Ignorant xenophobe will now be charged also with hate crimes --

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-officer-stood-man-harassed-woman-puerto-rican-151203854--abc-news-topstories.html

Peerie Maa
07-13-2018, 12:24 PM
And the wuss of an officer has decided that police work is not for him.
Let us hope that he is found guilty on both counts and the verdict receives wide publicity.

Gerarddm
07-13-2018, 12:28 PM
I really loathe Stumps like him. Whatever he can be found legitimately guilty of, I am all for it.

David W Pratt
07-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Two felony charges?

AlanMc
07-13-2018, 03:14 PM
felonies? i dunno about all that jazz. ideally he should have just been roughed up a little and left to crawl back under his rock.

Flying Orca
07-13-2018, 03:21 PM
felonies? i dunno about all that jazz. ideally he should have just been roughed up a little and left to crawl back under his rock.

Huh. And here you'd given the impression that you don't like the whole antifa thing.

AlanMc
07-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Huh. And here you'd given the impression that you don't like the whole antifa thing.

antifa? i'm talking about a drunken or deranged obnoxious person getting slapped around for acting like a doosh.

Peerie Maa
07-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Nah! I used the words "wide publicity" for a reason.

Keith Wilson
07-13-2018, 03:24 PM
I'm all for prosecuting the loathsome fellow, but two felonies seems like a bit much. It's interesting how ubiquitous mobile phone movies are changing law enforcement.

Flying Orca
07-13-2018, 03:30 PM
antifa? i'm talking about a drunken or deranged obnoxious person getting slapped around for acting like a doosh.

Which is pretty much the behaviour most opponents of those who label themselves "antifa" seem to be opposed to, hence my comment.

Flying Orca
07-13-2018, 03:31 PM
I'm all for prosecuting the loathsome fellow, but two felonies seems like a bit much. It's interesting how ubiquitous mobile phone movies are changing law enforcement.

Just imagine if cops were forced to wear body cameras.

AlanMc
07-13-2018, 03:32 PM

yea, i can see some form of harassment or disturbing the peace type charge. i didn't watch the whole video, did he make physical threats at all?

Canoez
07-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Nah. Felonies. You are responsible for your actions. If your actions are felonious, then, well, the charges seem appropriate.

Jimmy W
07-13-2018, 04:26 PM
yea, i can see some form of harassment or disturbing the peace type charge. i didn't watch the whole video, did he make physical threats at all?

Physical threats aren't needed. I believe this is from Alabama law.

It is the right of every person, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, or physical or mental disability, to be secure and protected from threats of reasonable fear, intimidation, harassment, and physical harm caused by activities of groups and individuals.

AlanMc
07-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Physical threats aren't needed. I believe this is from Alabama law.

i totally would agree he was harassing that lady. but is that a felony? i don't think it warrants a felony charge. this is what should happen in my ideal world. the guy runs his mouth, that woman's husband comes over and knocks out his front tooth. the cops arrest both of them. the toothless buffoon gets a harassment charge, and the guy punching him gets let off with a warning.

Peerie Maa
07-13-2018, 04:53 PM
i totally would agree he was harassing that lady. but is that a felony? i don't think it warrants a felony charge. this is what should happen in my ideal world. the guy runs his mouth, that woman's husband comes over and knocks out his front tooth. the cops arrest both of them. the toothless buffoon gets a harassment charge, and the guy punching him gets let off with a warning.

The epithet Male Chauvinist Pig comes to mind. Non married female, a non person if without a husband.

AlanMc
07-13-2018, 04:58 PM
The epithet Male Chauvinist Pig comes to mind. Non married female, a non person if without a husband.

pffft

Jimmy W
07-13-2018, 05:04 PM

The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office disagrees with you and they have more say in the matter.

“After a review of the case, we approved felony hate crimes charges,” said Robert Foley, spokesman for the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office.

David G
07-13-2018, 07:32 PM
Stubborn, insistent, and vocal ignorance... ALWAYS puts one in a good light, and builds a reputation for seriousness, eh?

Jimmy W
07-13-2018, 10:32 PM

Does the woman's defender get all charges removed from his record, repaid for his attorney's charges and paid for his time spent in court and traveling to and from the court and parking fees while in court, etc?

paulf
07-13-2018, 11:01 PM

Tatic...make the charge so onerous that it will mean nothing in an all white Jury. CASE DISMISSED!!

johnw
07-13-2018, 11:08 PM
So, the solution to the problem of thuggery is more thuggery? Good to know.

James McMullen
07-14-2018, 07:42 AM
AlanMc, your ideal world sounds pretty damn lame. Vigilante justice? Physical abuse to go on top of the verbal abuse? No due process of law or use of a neutral arbiter?

My ideal world includes no neighbors who think like you. Which is just one of the great many reasons I live in a civilized country instead of a place like Alabama.

Jim Mahan
07-14-2018, 08:14 AM
... in my ideal world. the guy runs his mouth, that woman's husband comes over and knocks out his front tooth. the cops arrest both of them. the toothless buffoon gets a harassment charge, and the guy punching him gets let off with a warning.

My Noyes, you're living in a John Wayne movie from the forties. John Wayne was an aashole.

rbgarr
07-14-2018, 10:00 AM
The officer who stood by has resigned his position.

Durnik
07-14-2018, 11:18 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Peerie Maa http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=5621871#post5621871)

pffft

Thanks for confirming what we already know.

The law is to protect the weak - _any_ weak - from bullies. Public whipping comes to mind as reasonable.

And David. Any (good) reason you couldn't have added this to the already existing thread (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?241508-man-harasses-a-woman-for-wearing-Puerto-Rican-shirt-while-LEO-stands-by)?

David G
07-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Thanks for confirming what we already know.

The law is to protect the weak - _any_ weak - from bullies. Public whipping comes to mind as reasonable.

And David. Any (good) reason you couldn't have added this to the already existing thread (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?241508-man-harasses-a-woman-for-wearing-Puerto-Rican-shirt-while-LEO-stands-by)?

No good reason at all. Sorry, Jimmy, I missed that there already was one. I can only offer the extenuating circumstance that it's a bit hard to keep up when certain folks keep cluttering up the Bilge with inappropriately-placed boat content. :rolleyes:

oznabrag
07-14-2018, 11:47 AM
No good reason at all. Sorry, Jimmy, I missed that there already was one. I can only offer the extenuating circumstance that it's a bit hard to keep up when certain folks keep cluttering up the Bilge with inappropriately-placed boat content. :rolleyes:

???

Durnik
07-14-2018, 12:05 PM
^ Jimmy started the (other) thread.

Thanks, David..

Damn boat stuff 0-:

oznabrag
07-14-2018, 12:17 PM

Personally, I enjoy the boat content.

What I can't stand is those people pretending that the Bilge is beneath their dignity, and it should be eradicated in favor of . . . something else.

Just like the 'Republican's' relationship with the Constitution.

JimD
07-14-2018, 12:34 PM
The prison for profit industry is a lot like the hotel and spectator sport industries. It's all about heads in the beds and fans in the stands. So two felonies are better than one, provided they are served consecutively and not concurrently, of course. Still, he could have avoided all this if he'd disparaged Puerto Rico with a more 'subtle' approach.

https://www.independent.ie/incoming/article36194272.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/2017-10-03T175.jpg

Osborne Russell
07-14-2018, 12:37 PM
The prison for profit industry is a lot like the hotel and spectator sport industries. It's all about heads in the beds and fans in the stands. So two felonies are better than one, provided they are served consecutively and not concurrently, of course.

Bingo. Same with privatized anything.

"Why can't be government be more like business, and put profit over every other consideration? What's wrong with that?" Duh

Breakaway
07-14-2018, 10:38 PM
A lot of charges are brought with the crowded courts in mind. Felony so there is room for the DA to take a plea for a misdemeanor.

Next case.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

leikec
07-14-2018, 10:49 PM
A lot of charges are brought with the crowded courts in mind. Felony so there is room for the DA to take a plea for a misdemeanor.

Next case.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fast food justice. Fries cost extra, but the dipping sauce is free...

Jeff C