PDA

View Full Version : Israeli unmanned spacecraft to land on Moon in 2019

sharpiefan
07-11-2018, 08:15 AM
An Israeli non-profit organisation has announced plans to send the first privately-funded unmanned spacecraft to the Moon.
SpaceIL said the probe would be launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, in December on a Falcon 9 rocket built by Elon Musk's SpaceX company.
It is expected to land on the Moon in February 2019.
The spacecraft will plant an Israeli flag on the Moon's surface and carry out research into its magnetic field.
SpaceIL's project began as part of the Google Lunar XPrize, which offered $30m (23m) in prizes to inspire people to develop low-cost methods of robotic space exploration. However, the competition expired this March, with the $20m grand prize for landing on the Moon unclaimed.
Despite the setback, SpaceIL continued developing its spacecraft, which is being built in co-operation with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), a state-owned firm.
So far it has spent about $88.5m, much of which it has received from the South African-born Israeli billionaire businessmen Morris Kahn.
Ido Anteby, CEO of SpaceIL, told a news conference in the Israeli town of Yehud on Tuesday that its probe would be the smallest yet to land on the Moon.
It is about 2m (6.6ft) in diameter and 1.5m high, and will weigh only 585kg (1,300lb) at launch. More than 400kg of that weight is fuel that will be burnt off by the time it lands on the Moon.
The spacecraft is a "hopper", which will land and then take off again with the fuel left in its propulsion system, and then perform another landing 500m away, which was a condition of the XPrize.
If successful, SpaceIL's mission will make Israel the fourth country in the world to "soft land" a probe on the surface of the Moon - after the former Soviet Union, the United States and China.

Israeli unmanned spacecraft to land on Moon in 2019 (LINK) (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-44777305)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

purri
07-11-2018, 06:30 PM
But why?

sharpiefan
07-11-2018, 06:43 PM
But why?

:) Space cred -- "We can do something the Americans can't."

Mr Kahn said he hoped the mission would create an "Apollo effect" for the next generation in Israel - a reference to the enthusiasm for science, technology, engineering and maths triggered by Neil Armstrong's Moon walk in 1969.
"This is a tremendous project," he added. "When the rocket is launched into space, we will all remember where we were when Israel landed on the Moon."

Ted Hoppe
07-11-2018, 07:08 PM
Could be the beginning of a great missile offense/defense shield, electronic offensive station as well as observation/listening post set up.

Trump might need those space marines after all.

wizbang 13
07-11-2018, 08:23 PM
force space

purri
07-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Bagel Force?

GregH
07-11-2018, 08:28 PM
That money would be better spent feeding the hungry, building homes, etc., etc. .... the list goes on.

BrianW
07-11-2018, 09:54 PM
:) Space cred -- "We can do something the Americans can't."

:)

paulf
07-11-2018, 10:03 PM

They will land where we said we did... and use the fact we wern't there as a bargaining tool.

sharpiefan
07-11-2018, 10:39 PM

The poster is wrong. Von Braun and his team worked in metrics and converted to US customary.

With respect to units, the LGC was eclectic. Inside the computer we used metric units, at least in the case of powered-flight navigation and guidance. At the operational level NASA, and especially the astronauts, preferred English units. This meant that before being displayed, altitude and altitude-rate (for example) were calculated from the metric state vector maintained by navigation, and then were converted to feet and ft/sec.
~~~Don Eyles, TALES FROM THE LUNAR MODULE GUIDANCE COMPUTER (LINK) (https://www.doneyles.com/LM/Tales.html)

WX
07-11-2018, 11:35 PM
That money would be better spent feeding the hungry, building homes, etc., etc. .... the list goes on.

Well they could spend it on mending fences with their nieghbours but we know that ain't going to happen.:)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-11-2018, 11:43 PM
But why?

It's a start on the long term plans for the palestinians.

WX
07-11-2018, 11:50 PM
It's most likely US money they are spending anyway.

Chip-skiff
07-12-2018, 12:10 AM
This moon

Is mine.

God gave this moon to me!

purri
07-12-2018, 12:31 AM
^ piquant

Mcjim
07-12-2018, 02:31 AM

Liberia has been to the moon?

skuthorp
07-12-2018, 02:52 AM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/-mars-space_exloring-astronauts-mars_rover-launches-kfon157_low.jpg

WX
07-12-2018, 04:32 AM
This moon

Is mine.

God gave this moon to me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY&t=2s

CWSmith
07-12-2018, 07:03 AM
The US and Soviet space programs were political acts and demonstrations of rocket technology. Think ICBM and if you can hit the moon you can hit anyplace on Earth.

Now, who would Israel be trying to impress?

As for metric, NASA is very much a metric organization by rule. I've seen instrument builds based on old schematics where they needed a waver to use non-metric parts.

Fitz
07-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Remember the metric mars screw up?

sharpiefan
07-12-2018, 07:41 AM
Remember the metric mars screw up?

That was Mars_Climate_Orbiter (LINK) (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter). Contractor Lockheed ignored the NASA contract requirement that units be in SI (metric units). NASA management dropped the ball by trusting Lockheed's QA and not vetting the software independently.

However, on September 23, 1999, communication with the spacecraft was lost as the spacecraft went into orbital insertion, due to ground-based computer software which produced output in non-SI units of pound-force seconds (lbfs) instead of the SI units of newton-seconds (Ns) specified in the contract between NASA and Lockheed. The spacecraft encountered Mars on a trajectory that brought it too close to the planet, causing it to pass through the upper atmosphere and disintegrate.

Fitz
07-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am pro metric. My whole academic career was metric. Enter real world and back to feet and inches....

There was a spoof pick-up line used in college..."So, you think we'll go metric?":p

PatCassidy
07-12-2018, 12:34 PM
It is ironic that the U.S. would sign off on a $38 billion military aid bill to any country that was attempting to send. a rocket to the moon. Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just send them the recipe for Tang?