PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Ian Oughtred Tirrik Build

Stray
06-20-2018, 06:33 AM
Hello all. hope well. I have some questions regarding the tirrik build. I have run seats down both sides of the boat, My first question is about the centerboard box. It has two sets of little timber braces on it around 4 inches wide at the base glued to the floor ribs. I was hoping to only put a little oval rowing seat in about a foot long, rather than the transverse seat from one side to another. I was planning on putting knee braces to brace midships gunnel off the side seats. But I heard that there is some torquing happening with the centerboard undersail. Do you think I need to put the seat across the middle or do you think another set of little braces will do. the box does seem pretty strong is there much force on the rudder ?

navydog
06-20-2018, 07:42 AM
The thwart is a primary structural component in open boats preventing distortion of the hull . If it is not installed the sides of the boat will flex.

Peerie Maa
06-20-2018, 07:49 AM
The thwart is a primary structural component in open boats preventing distortion of the hull . If it is not installed the sides of the boat will flex.

Just so, Simply kneeing in the side benches adds no strength to the hull.

Stray
06-20-2018, 06:59 PM
ok well i do want a strong boat. Ive got a nice piece of red cedar for the job so while wanting to have a clear way to the bow its not to big of a deal. thanks guys