PDA

View Full Version : curious bow sprit rigging, what do you call the five small sails

Paul Pless
06-08-2018, 10:11 AM
arranged at the tip of the bowsprit

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4468/36550322564_b161602b09_b.jpg

downthecreek
06-08-2018, 10:38 AM
arranged at the tip of the bowsprit

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4468/36550322564_b161602b09_b.jpg

Those boats over there...... :d

Flying Orca
06-08-2018, 10:41 AM
And what are they doing to that poor orca?

lupussonic
06-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Is that a shot of the Lowestoft drifter 'Gleaner' Paul? Now in Falmouth?

amish rob
06-08-2018, 10:46 AM
That is the rig for the traveler. That sprit is so long, they sail the tack in and outboard.

Personally, I never use a topsail on a traveler rig. Thereís no need. I think thatís just showing off.

Peace,
Robert

Jimmy W
06-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Did they rope that orca on porpoise?

Peerie Maa
06-08-2018, 10:56 AM

I think that she is a trawler, drifters rig looked different and were often loose footed for room when hauling the net.
That rig looks as though it has the power for towing the trawl.

downthecreek
06-08-2018, 11:11 AM

That's a London registration. Lowestoft is LT. Killer whales were, of course, the staple diet of the poor of London at one time........(or were the poor Londoners the staple diet of the whales? I can't seem to remember exactly ;))

David G
06-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Admittedly, this is an uncommon rig. BUT... All these supposedly knowledgeable sailors... and no one can identify a nifty set of... parallax sails???

lupussonic
06-08-2018, 01:39 PM
That's a London registration. Lowestoft is LT. ;))

Should have paid more attention. Great looking boat though, apart from the reg font.

Anyone else notice the person atop the gaff jaws?

Paul Pless
06-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Anyone else notice the person atop the gaff jaws?nice ketch

Jay Greer
06-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Well, I think that, over here in the colonies the three fore sails would be, jib, stays'l and jib tops'l. Above the main is the main tops'l followed by the mizzen on the jigger mast with a mizzen top above it which is not being flown. For fun and games in light airs, a ring tail can be set off of both the main and mizzen and jack yard tops set in place of the small main top as well as the mizzen top. Looks like a mast monkey is standing on the main gaff jaws to pass the tack of the tops'l over when they shift over on to the other tack. The five sails on the bowsprit in the distance are actually on two different boats making it look as though there are five on one. Actually this is a working boat and I don't believe all that laundry would have been used on a commercial boat. I am not all that familiar with Brittish rigs but, I like they way they work and look!
Jay

downthecreek
06-08-2018, 02:27 PM
I think that she is a trawler, drifters rig looked different and were often loose footed for room when hauling the net.

She's the London registered trawler "Boy Leslie", built 1911. But she has a Devon look about her, so I was not surprised to read that she was built in Devon. (Galmpton)

Peerie Maa
06-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Well, I think that, over here in the colonies the three fore sails would be, jib, stays'l and jib tops'l. Above the main is the main tops'l followed by the mizzen on the jigger mast with a mizzen top above it which is not being flown. For fun and games in light airs, a ring tail can be set off of both the main and mizzen and jack yard tops set in place of the small main top as well as the mizzen top. Looks like a mast monkey is standing on the main gaff jaws to pass the tack of the tops'l over when they shift over on to the other tack. The five sails on the bowsprit in the distance are actually on two different boats making it look as though there are five on one. Actually this is a working boat and I don't believe all that laundry would have been used on a commercial boat. I am not all that familiar with Brittish rigs but, I like they way they work and look!
Jay

You got that right, but if towing a trawl you would have used everything you had if the wind was light, including a big tow forestaysail with the clew coming back behind the shrouds.

downthecreek
06-08-2018, 02:52 PM
You got that right, but if towing a trawl you would have used everything you had if the wind was light, including a big tow forestaysail with the clew coming back behind the shrouds.

Not sure that's what Paul was referring to.....but, as you say, the whole point was a stable working platform, power to work and speed to get the catch to market. I've sailed in Brixham trawlers but am more familiar with Essex smacks. The "good manners" and versatility of those elegant cutters is extraordinary.

Mike Frost's book "Boadicea 213" gives a good account of this. I'm sure you will have read it. Much to be recommended. I love the passage about the company smacks trawling in the Roach........

Peerie Maa
06-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Not sure that's what Paul was referring to.

Paul who?

downthecreek
06-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Paul who?

Sorry - OP. I don't think he had in mind the vessels own working sails........

switters
06-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Jiblets.

Whats with the dahl porpoise blow up doll? That raises a lot of questions I dont want the answers to.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
06-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Hood ornament.