PDA

View Full Version : What do today's Republicans stand for?

John Smith
06-05-2018, 07:21 PM
There's lots of noise about Dems not having a message, but it seems clear to me they support raising minimum wage, universal healthcare, fixing our infrastructure, voting rights, etc.

Republicans for years complain about the debt, but my recollection is they've voted for all the legislation that's driven it up.

What is it they stand for these days? Other than tax cuts for the wealthy?

Paul Pless
06-05-2018, 07:23 PM
What do today's Republicans stand for?

I gots mines.

There's lots of noise about Dems not having a message, but. . .

Liberals suck; their messages, responsibility and equanimity being a couple of their primary themes, are unpopular; they are incapable of talking to the voting public without appearing as if they're talking down to them (this is a scenario repeated over and over); and they prove incapable of overcoming internal power dynamics within their own party, which they allow to play out too loudly in public. The liberal base doesn't get out and vote, nor do they give money to liberal causes.

Flying Orca
06-05-2018, 07:33 PM
I gots mines.

You forgot the FU part, but yeah.

CWSmith
06-05-2018, 08:09 PM
m o n e y

Canoeyawl
06-05-2018, 08:11 PM
I they they stand to separate themselves from those that kneel.
Too signal a virtue

S.V. Airlie
06-05-2018, 08:24 PM
There's lots of noise about Dems not having a message, but it seems clear to me they support raising minimum wage, universal healthcare, fixing our infrastructure, voting rights, etc.

Republicans for years complain about the debt, but my recollection is they've voted for all the legislation that's driven it up.

What is it they stand for these days? Other than tax cuts for the wealthy?Greed and the almighty dollar!

Glen Longino
06-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Inhumanity
Greed
Fear
Authoritarianism
Sexism
Militarism
Mysogyny

Hang on, it gets worse!:d

Canoeyawl
06-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Fascism

Glen Longino
06-05-2018, 09:56 PM
Fascism

Yep...

mdh
06-05-2018, 10:59 PM
The National Anthem

Jimmy W
06-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Bombs bursting

gypsie
06-05-2018, 11:31 PM
The National Anthem

Except for Trump at his 'Celebration of America' bash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPqaG8sVDE

Jimmy W
06-05-2018, 11:32 PM
Whatever the NRA tells them is important like bump stocks. Those are somewhat like bombs bursting.

gypsie
06-06-2018, 12:09 AM
They just stand against anything the other side say is good - no?

Canoeyawl
06-06-2018, 01:08 AM
They just stand against anything the other side say is good - no?

That would be way too easy, we could just say Trump is good, and he would be toast?

cglynn
06-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Don't forget religion. There is a great number of "Christian" Americans who think that because republicans are anti gay and anti abortion that they are doing God's work. And democrats are going to take their guns. Beyond that, they don't care.

I had to leave the equivalent of WBF's "Bilge" on an archery forum to which I subscribe due to the extreme (alt) right wing attitudes over there. I am all about differences of opinion, and believe me, there was plenty of that over there. But when you present the hardcore Trumpsters with actual numerical data that disproves their world view, the backlash is nuts. The story telling, name calling, and downright denial of fact is beyond belief. At least the conservatives over here can have a logical conversation. The guys over there literally will make up high conspiracy level stuff to refute a cited, logical argument. When asked for a cite, they say "typical liberal response". And while the number of individuals over there is small, just as it is here, I think by and large those guys represent a fair cross section of Trump supporters. They have found in the president someone who reinforces their world view, almost to a T, and will do anything to hang on to that. His existence as president validates their bigotry, distrust of the government, and warped sense of religion that they have spent a lifetime developing and perfecting.

It is honestly very frightening what lengths people like that will go to discredit anything that is even close to a liberal idea. And the worst of them is that I have no doubt that when some of these more liberal ideas like universal health care, basic living wage, etc, are finally implemented, they will do everything in their power to ensure that those things, which are undeniably good for the nation and ALL of its people, they included, will ultimately fail. Very similar to what we have seen in the uber red states with respect to the ACA. Undermine it so it fails.

skuthorp
06-06-2018, 07:14 AM
It's part of the hidden civil war cglynn, a nation at war with itself.
I would not be surprised if the ones you cite are in the majority.

S.V. Airlie
06-06-2018, 07:17 AM
The National AnthemTrump doesn't even know the National Anthem. I watched him at the ceremony yesterday, he mouthed the words that everyone knows and then, just hummed the rest mdh. It was pretty obvious and pretty sad.

skuthorp
06-06-2018, 07:21 AM
The National Anthem
"The last refuge of the scoundrel…………………."

oznabrag
06-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Unabashed greed, graft, treason, election tampering and environmental destruction in the name of greed.

Did I mention greed?

John Smith
06-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Don't forget religion. There is a great number of "Christian" Americans who think that because republicans are anti gay and anti abortion that they are doing God's work. And democrats are going to take their guns. Beyond that, they don't care.

I had to leave the equivalent of WBF's "Bilge" on an archery forum to which I subscribe due to the extreme (alt) right wing attitudes over there. I am all about differences of opinion, and believe me, there was plenty of that over there. But when you present the hardcore Trumpsters with actual numerical data that disproves their world view, the backlash is nuts. The story telling, name calling, and downright denial of fact is beyond belief. At least the conservatives over here can have a logical conversation. The guys over there literally will make up high conspiracy level stuff to refute a cited, logical argument. When asked for a cite, they say "typical liberal response". And while the number of individuals over there is small, just as it is here, I think by and large those guys represent a fair cross section of Trump supporters. They have found in the president someone who reinforces their world view, almost to a T, and will do anything to hang on to that. His existence as president validates their bigotry, distrust of the government, and warped sense of religion that they have spent a lifetime developing and perfecting.

It is honestly very frightening what lengths people like that will go to discredit anything that is even close to a liberal idea. And the worst of them is that I have no doubt that when some of these more liberal ideas like universal health care, basic living wage, etc, are finally implemented, they will do everything in their power to ensure that those things, which are undeniably good for the nation and ALL of its people, they included, will ultimately fail. Very similar to what we have seen in the uber red states with respect to the ACA. Undermine it so it fails.

the 'family values' hypocrites!

John Smith
06-06-2018, 07:49 AM
Trump doesn't even know the National Anthem. I watched him at the ceremony yesterday, he mouthed the words that everyone knows and then, just hummed the rest mdh. It was pretty obvious and pretty sad.

That's kind of interesting. Given the event he ended up hosting, and the fact he put himself front and center, one would think he'd make it a point to learn the words before hand.