X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

cancer treatment breakthrough - this could be huge

Doctors at the National Institutes of Health say they've apparently completely eradicated cancer from a patient who had untreatable, advanced breast cancer.
    Therapy Made From Patient's Immune System Shows Promise For Advanced Breast Cancer
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.
  • PeterSibley
    • Dec 2001

Re: cancer treatment breakthrough - this could be huge

and this .https://www.theguardian.com/society/...x-tessa-jowell
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Comment

• Todd D
      • Sep 2007

The treatment is called chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy or CAR-T therapy for short. A patient's T cells are harvested, modified to attack a specific marker found only/primarily on tumor cells and then reinfused into the patient. The procedure also generally involves relatively intense chemo after T-cell harvest. If the therapy works the modofied T-cells selectively attack tumor cells and kill them. The tumor cell killing can happen quite quickly resulting in releases of chemicals called cytokines into the system The cytokines can cause what is called a cytokine storm which has symptoms like the worst flu you have ever had. It can be fatal. In addition, if the T-cells kill the tumor cells very quickly and the tumors were large the process can cause what is called tumor lysis syndrome when the waste products from the killed cells mess up the electrolyte balance in the blood which can be fatal. The procedure is quite risky and generally used as a last resort.

CAR T-cell therapy has been around for a few years and is currently being tested for a variety of cancers including leukemias. The procedure is FDA approved for a subtype of Acute Lymphoblastic Lymphoma for patients under age 25 and for Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Comment

• CWSmith
        New Hampshire
        • Nov 2008

This is some of the most exciting news I've heard in years!

Now, if they could just do something for my old man's prostate...
        "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• McMike
          • Oct 2009

Hope so.
          In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Comment

Working...