PDA

View Full Version : words vs bullets

John Smith
05-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Can't help but think of all the cops that have KILLED unarmed black people and have suffered no consequence. Maybe they'd have lost their jobs if they just said something racist?

There is more public outrage, and more consequence, to Rosanne's racist tweet, than to those killings.

Can someone explain that to me?

I can explain why those cops got acquitted, and why Zimmerman got acquitted. You pick 12 random people (a jury) pretty much anywhere in America, and odds are good 3 or 4 of them will be racists.

Racism is ugly, but it's there. We've convinced ourselves it was a thing of the past. It is alive, well, and wide spread.

Firing Rosanne not only violated the PRINICPLE of free speech (I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend til my death your right to say it), but it will anger and further entrench racist beliefs among the racists.

If we wish to end racism, which may or may not be possible, we need a constructive dialogue and plan. Firing Rosanne may make many feel good, but it exacerbates the problem.

REACTIONS are important. Following the 9/11 attack, which killed 3000 people, we had real knee jerk reaction. We invaded two countries and opened a Pandora's box. Our action cost maybe a hundred thousand lives, countless wounded, trillions of dollars, and is still happening. Imagine if, instead, we had hosted a summit on counter terrorism. Might have been much more constructive.

Peerie Maa
05-30-2018, 09:14 AM
I disagree, firing that public figure tells the racists and their children that racism is wrong and unacceptable. This firing can be the kick off point for your constructive dialogue, if the US media is up to it.

AlanMc
05-30-2018, 09:32 AM
john, i think that position is ridiculous. firing roseanne was in no way attacking her right to free speech. and i don't think canning a moron for saying racist crap helps to exacerbate racism in america.

John Smith
05-30-2018, 12:53 PM
john, i think that position is ridiculous. firing roseanne was in no way attacking her right to free speech. and i don't think canning a moron for saying racist crap helps to exacerbate racism in america.

It's kind of funny. Those who defend the NFL's new policy argue the players have the right to do their protest "on their own time" Rosanne was on her own time.

I must be a very strange American, as I grew up believing that I should support your right to say things I disagree with, or even find offensive. I believe in the CONCEPT of free speech. Once it brings consequences it is not free.

I tried to place a wage on Trump, but could not find anyone going to Vegas. I realized he was riding the wave of racism and bigotry most people, including our Supreme court when it was ruling on the Voting Rights Act, though was pretty much history. They were wrong.

We cannot force people to think differently. With luck and effort, we might educate them into thinking differently. Force begets force; human nature.

I wonder if the cops, instead of shooting unarmed black men, had simply insulted them, if those cops might have paid a price.

David W Pratt
05-30-2018, 02:31 PM
What percentage of Blacks in the US, who are shot, are shot by the police?
How big a problem is that, from a harm reduction standpoint?