PDA

View Full Version : Archery

ishmael
05-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Any bow stringers out there?

I took a class in college, a phys-ed elective that was required to get my degree, and got hooked for awhile. Bought a target bow and went at it. What a fine way to spend some time!

Practice. The thing about hitting that bull's eye is just that, practice. And then there are times when you're just off, and can't hit it for the life of you. ;) With time, those times lessen.

I think I'll go find a bow again; go at it again. It really is quite fine.

Peerie Maa
05-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Both my kids shot for a while.

Paul Pless
05-26-2018, 09:11 AM
I was a state field archery champion in high school. I bow hunted for a while but found it unethical (for me) and havenít shot in a decade.

Paul Pless
05-26-2018, 09:53 AM
i lost a deer that i had shot with a well placed arrow at pretty close range - it bothered me a lot

and on my property in alabama and in michigan i find deer carcasses every year with arrows stuck in them
very few of those deer have the arrows in the vitals, some of them i'm sure had the arrow stuck in their extremities or nonfatal shots through the neck and they slowly died a painful death to infection
i don't want to be a part of that

so many hunters just use bow season as a means of extending their gun season

that said ^ there are few hunters better, more skilled, more ethical, etc than a really dedicated bow hunter, someone that keeps their gear in top notch shape, and they themself shoot year round weekly to keep themself tuned up - these folks are rare

Old Dryfoot
05-26-2018, 10:20 AM
I've shot off and on for around 40 years now. Mostly recurve and all target, but I've not owned a bow for the last 4 years.
I'd really like to have an Oneida bow one day, so I might take it up again in the future.

Oneida makes lever action compound bows.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ef/43/90/ef43907a9ba9ed4a799742614c2b0747.jpg

The only hunting I would ever consider would be by bow, and only for bison, but I likely never will.

mmd
05-26-2018, 10:57 AM
^That there is a bow that lives up to Paul's sig line...

Old Dryfoot
05-26-2018, 11:02 AM
^ They do stand out in a crowd.

A little slow motion of the bow in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYf5Mc020S4

mdh
05-26-2018, 12:54 PM
i lost a deer that i had shot with a well placed arrow at pretty close range - it bothered me a lot

and on my property in alabama and in michigan i find deer carcasses every year with arrows stuck in them
very few of those deer have the arrows in the vitals, some of them i'm sure had the arrow stuck in their extremities or nonfatal shots through the neck and they slowly died a painful death to infection
i don't want to be a part of that

so many hunters just use bow season as a means of extending their gun season

that said ^ there are few hunters better, more skilled, more ethical, etc than a really dedicated bow hunter, someone that keeps their gear in top notch shape, and they themself shoot year round weekly to keep themself tuned up - these folks are rare

I’ve often wondered how many wounded deer make it far enough to get hit by a car.

Peerie Maa
05-26-2018, 01:04 PM
I've shot off and on for around 40 years now. Mostly recurve and all target, but I've not owned a bow for the last 4 years.
I'd really like to have an Oneida bow one day, so I might take it up again in the future.

The only hunting I would ever consider would be by bow, and only for bison, but I likely never will.

Complexity for complexity sake.
Sprog achieved some very good scores with this

Old Dryfoot
05-26-2018, 01:52 PM
No more complex than a compound bow. They are easier to tune than a compound, and you don't need a bow press to change a string. It's also the smoothest draw of any bow I've ever tried.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-26-2018, 02:17 PM
in the dim and distant past I used to make archery equipment - sights, stabilisers, stands, arrow straighteners (before carbon arrows)....

mdh
05-26-2018, 02:23 PM
I liked my Oneida. The string is centered like a recurve. Compounds have a brace to keep the cables out of the way. This causes side loading that eventually wears out bushings and pins. I went back to recurves: lighter without all those wheels and cables, which catch on everything you walk by in the woods, and doesn’t squeak or clang.

Peerie Maa
05-26-2018, 02:39 PM
No more complex than a compound bow. They are easier to tune than a compound, and you don't need a bow press to change a string. It's also the smoothest draw of any bow I've ever tried.

Do the cams still deliver the valley at full draw? That which makes them such a good bow for archers recovering from injury and so on.

Iceboy
05-29-2018, 08:20 AM
I've been bow hunting for close to 50 years. I have lost one deer in that time. The wolves got it before I found it the next morning. That being said, I did find 2 dead arrowed deer on my property last year. Both lethal shots that no one deemed it important to follow up on. I effing hate unethical hunters of all types.

Old Dryfoot
05-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Do the cams still deliver the valley at full draw? That which makes them such a good bow for archers recovering from injury and so on.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it's typical (for me) to shoot "hard against the wall," which is very defined in a lever bow. My experience with lever bows is limited though, so I could have it all wrong.

kelvinb
05-29-2018, 12:23 PM
I've been bow hunting for close to 50 years. I have lost one deer in that time. The wolves got it before I found it the next morning. That being said, I did find 2 dead arrowed deer on my property (https://www.studypug.com/geometry-help/tangent-properties) last year. Both lethal shots that no one deemed it important to follow up on. I effing hate unethical hunters of all types.

True I find that so unethical too. Some people just enjoy killing and they feel so good about themselves..

Three Cedars
05-29-2018, 02:41 PM
and some people hunt for meat because they are part of the natural world , choosing to be a part of the great wheel having an intimate experience , observing , learning and absorbing during their short stay in this realm .

Non-hunters can easily project their own biases onto others because it makes them feel good about themselves ...

mdh
05-29-2018, 04:06 PM
I enjoy the hunt and the meat, but Ishmael only mentioned archery, and alluded to a target bow. A fine recurve, or longbow, in a target weight, can provide hours of active enjoyment. I wholeheartedly encourage his return to the sport.

sleek
05-29-2018, 06:50 PM
I love it and am a member of a forum for archery as well. We make our own bows and study the science of the craft in depth. Mostly we are primitive archers, making our bows of wood.

Paul Pless
05-29-2018, 06:55 PM
long time no see ^

you still in oklahoma???

sleek
05-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Hi Paul! Im working in Wichita right now. I have been around lots since we last spoke, most of the east coat and toronto canada. Im tryi g to settle down in coastal north carolina. Hope you are doing well.

trefor
05-30-2018, 02:49 PM

I've been playing off and on with an English style longbow. It's just a simple red oak stick backed with linen, but it's a lot of fun to stand in my backyard and poke holes in a target with. Thinking of getting my nine-year-old daughter a recurve this summer. More interested in killing circles than critters.

-Trevor

Ron Williamson
05-30-2018, 06:53 PM

BISON? Fuuuuuuuuu k.
Maybe from a helicopter.
R ( chicken shyte)

LeeG
05-30-2018, 09:33 PM

I took a class in college, a phys-ed elective that was required to get my degree, and got hooked for awhile. Bought a target bow and went at it. What a fine way to spend some time!

Practice. The thing about hitting that bull's eye is just that, practice. And then there are times when you're just off, and can't hit it for the life of you. ;) With time, those times lessen.

I think I'll go find a bow again; go at it again. It really is quite fine.

so jack, have gone at it?

Old Dryfoot
05-31-2018, 08:53 AM
BISON? Fuuuuuuuuu k.
Maybe from a helicopter.
R ( chicken shyte)

I stopped hunting because I didn't think it was much of a contest, bow on foot versus bison, seems a little more like a level playing field.
As much as I like deer and elk I don't want a freeze full, but bison, I could eat bison every day.

Paul Pless
05-31-2018, 09:13 AM
so jack, have gone at it?
Letís revisit this post in about a decade.