Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Columbia River Gorge Fire: the aftermath

Some of you may remember this fire. Started by a teen tossing fireworks. Final tally on costs is around $37 million.

The judge in the case recently issued his penalty judgement. The teen is deemed responsible for the total amount.

Sounds harsh - but in practice, the law has some buffers. First - he is allowed to set up a payment plan. Second - after 10 years of faultlessly meeting the payments, the terms of his parole, and getting into no other trouble - he may petition to have the debt declared 'paid in full'.

A teenager who started a major wildfire in the scenic Columbia River Gorge in Oregon has been ordered to pay restitution for at least the next decade.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)
  • ron ll
    Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
    • Oct 2005

Re: Columbia River Gorge Fire: the aftermath

How does a teen amortize $37 million? When I was a teen, I saved all my lunch money by not eating lunch and I bought a guitar.

Comment

• David G
      • Dec 2003

Re: Columbia River Gorge Fire: the aftermath

I think the law, as written, is reasonable. I hope the teen takes advantage of the opportunity. It will challenge him... and shape his life. Hopefully in a good way.
      David G
      Harbor Woodworks
      https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

Working...