PDA

View Full Version : Americas Cup Trickle-Down?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Foiled again.

https://www.proboat.com/2018/03/a-beneteau-with-foils/

Paul Pless
05-07-2018, 07:35 AM
looks more vendee than cup

skuthorp
05-07-2018, 04:10 PM
I once owned a small catamaran that had an unfortunate habit of diving and pitch poling due to too much flex.I added 'foils' on the bows to attempt to correct this. Didn't work. A Cunningham design.

John B
05-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Interesting that the foils are 'upside down' compared to most. They work more like the DSS system.

Chris249
05-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Since the AC pretty much picked foils up from Moths, it's a trickle-up from Moths rather than a trickle-down from the AC.

It's also interesting to see how little impact foils are having in the wider world of racing. The Moth class itself has had (IIRC) 60, 240 and 40 entries at the last three worlds, yet the sailing media obsesses about the one big regatta and ignores the two small ones. They also ignore the fact that the class itself says it's not growing. The Waszp is doing well, which is nice. Apart from the A Class, the foiling cats don't seem to be selling well at all - at the Eurocat regatta, for example, they were less than 5% of the fleet and at the biggest cat race in the world there were only half a dozen foilers among 220 starters.