PDA

View Full Version : The ranting thread. Feel free to rant about anything

Pages : [1] 2

Ted Hoppe
04-30-2018, 06:03 PM
Here is a new thread - what's your current rant. No answers should be given. Just ones current rant. Feel free to chuckle or critique if that makes you feel better.

Here is mine current one pasted from the motorcycle thread.

So I am sitting here -essentially bikeless at home. My old BMW just arrived in Heidelberg and is sitting a warehouse for me but with my 17 year old son dragging his last month of his senior year, I had to cancel my May trip to Europe. My other bike is a basket case with little chance of being pulled together. One of my best buds keeps pestering me as he wants to go motorcycle camping and fishing in the gold fields. Since this is the wooden boat forum and making relevant to boat and bike owners- I am also standing near a boating precipice...contemplating how I could be wasting my money on installing a inboard on my boat but recognize it would be like flushing it down the scuppers as the boat needs to go on the block, and the value goes uneffected if I did a top notch job.... and God knows I am done paying for other people's future dream projects.

Paul Pless
04-30-2018, 06:16 PM
and God knows I am done paying for other people's future dream projects.when you're done in europe i'd be interested in buying your boxer :D

CWSmith
04-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Anything?

Two spaces after the period!

Old Dryfoot
04-30-2018, 06:40 PM
My shorts are too tight.

L.W. Baxter
04-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Anything?

Two spaces after the period!

So, are you complaining that some people leave two spaces after a period? Or demanding that people leave two spaces after a period. Or what?

LeeG
04-30-2018, 06:43 PM
My feet are tired.

AnalogKid
04-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Why is it that I can walk into a bike shop and buy some 32x700c tyres for my gravel bike, but I can't buy tubes to fit. The shop sells the bikes, the tyres, but not the tubes. What is that about!

And yes, those a two spaces between my sentences.

Norman Bernstein
04-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Drug prices.

There's a drug which can be prescribed for two different conditions. When prescribed for one condition, in a normal dose, it's $50/pill.

The exact same drug, when prescribed for the other condition, is $2.50.

The exact same drug.

LeeG
04-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Why is it that I can walk into a bike shop and buy some 32x700c tyres for my gravel bike, but I can't buy tubes to fit. The shop sells the bikes, the tyres, but not the tubes. What is that about!

And yes, those a two spaces between my sentences.

that’s not right.

Vince Brennan
04-30-2018, 07:09 PM
I was taught to leave two spaces after a full stop (period) when learning typing. One of the few things that stuck with me and which was of great service in the Navy, where - among other things - I was a court reporter for the Security Department for a period of time.

I have since been excoriated in the forum for this and other traits by those "whose command of the language is vastly more erudite than mine own". The admonishments have, like unto rain and ducks... well...

Interesting... the bilge seems not to like a double-space.

John B
04-30-2018, 07:18 PM
Why did I buy that POS Tohatsu 3.5 , Trouble , more trouble , lousy company who won't honour their warranty.

Ted Hoppe
04-30-2018, 07:22 PM
when you're done in europe i'd be interested in buying your boxer :D

it will be in either Heidelberg or Provence. Your welcome to it.

My Mercury 6hp outboard has disappointed me so much that I was thinking of selling the outboard and giving them boat for free.

CK 17
04-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Passengers flying to/from Las Vegas. They don’t have to follow the rules. They stand up when your number # for take off and go to the lav. When the flight attendants shut them off they jam beer cans in the toilet. They think they can smoke anywhere they please. Outbound, they use up all the oxygen because they “don’t feel well”. It’s one big party. Arghhhh—don’t get me started!

Seems like there’s one on each flight.

Males are the worst, females are a close second. Everyone else is ok.

No other market has this problem.

Garret
04-30-2018, 07:59 PM
My rant is that vBulletin software (what the forum runs on) adheres to HTML standards & will automatically delete a 2nd space. Why is it that if you want 2 in a row you have to type (without the dashes) &nb-sp &nb-sp ?

:)

My real rant is how come the auto-electric guy I've been going to for 20+ years messed up when he rebuilt the starter in my Chris-Craft 283? He's rebuilt all sorts of stuff for me & for customers without any issues at all - from furrin jobbies to old Jeeps to modern starters & alternators. Could he have done it on a small block in a car/truck where it's 2 bolts & 5 minutes to pull? No - it had to be on one that's 1.5 hours contorted into a tiny space to remove.

Durnik
04-30-2018, 08:07 PM
my real rant is Garret's fake.. html drops all but one space.. and say, 5 &nb..s's take up a [particular expressive word] load of room. Why did some [expletive of choice] decide spaces were less valid than other characters!

oh, and fb uses [enter] to stop a comment.. [ctrl][enter] for a line feed.. there is no [ctrl] on andriod.

the third rant should be obvious. (-:

/rant

Jim Bow
04-30-2018, 08:12 PM
The checkout people, and baristas who ask," How's your day going? Whatcha doin' today?"
I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to answer either.

BrianY
04-30-2018, 08:15 PM
I was taught to leave two spaces after a full stop (period) when learning typing. One of the few things that stuck with me and which was of great service in the Navy, where - among other things - I was a court reporter for the Security Department for a period of time.

I have since been excoriated in the forum for this and other traits by those "whose command of the language is vastly more erudite than mine own". The admonishments have, like unto rain and ducks... well...

Interesting... the bilge seems not to like a double-space.

The single space is now standard practice in the business world. The double space is considered to be archaic. Kids no longer learn the double space

Sky Blue
04-30-2018, 08:27 PM
It'll be in Provence

So will I, in about 9 weeks.:D

purri
04-30-2018, 08:52 PM
La Ciotat and surrounds are worth a visit.

Jimmy W
04-30-2018, 09:23 PM
Some Bilge rat posts a link to a video. I click on it and after showing the video, the dang website then starts showing me completely unrelated videos until I close it.

Jim Bow
04-30-2018, 09:43 PM
Some Bilge rat posts a link to a video. I click on it and after showing the video, the dang website then starts showing me completely unrelated videos until I close it.
YouTube? I've noticed that too.

leikec
04-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Why is it that I spend 45 minutes writing a (IMO) witty and reasoned response to a thread and nobody seems to notice, but when I spend two minutes on some top-of-the-head answer it is quoted by 7 different people...

Jeff C

Jimmy W
04-30-2018, 09:59 PM
YouTube? I've noticed that too.

Not YouTube, Yahoo is bad about it. Using Adblock makes YouTube much better.

webishop14
04-30-2018, 10:08 PM
I was taught to place two spaces after a period. But I also have noticed internet software often deletes the second space. I just think if it as a "silent" space, and accept this small impropriety. For impropriety it is.

CWSmith
04-30-2018, 10:20 PM
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54a9d5a1e4b01e05d9b5c9ed/t/56054366e4b043d49b635ff3/1443185510703/

Sky Blue
04-30-2018, 10:42 PM
I was taught to place two spaces after a period. But I also have noticed internet software often deletes the second space. I just think if it as a "silent" space, and accept this small impropriety. For impropriety it is.

+1. I too find myself annoyed by what seems to be a bug in the programming. Or perhaps it is as simple as ignorance, attributable to the relevant engineer.

Ted Hoppe
04-30-2018, 11:14 PM
So will I, in about 9 weeks.:D

:( (Hope this means jealousy!)

Mind if I send my son along with you as he does speak French and runs the young Republican chapter out of his high school.

Sky Blue
04-30-2018, 11:31 PM
:( (Hope this means jealousy!)

Mind if I send my son along with you as he does speak French and runs the young Republican chapter out of his high school.

We'd be pleased to have him. :)

gypsie
04-30-2018, 11:40 PM
Drug prices.

There's a drug which can be prescribed for two different conditions. When prescribed for one condition, in a normal dose, it's $50/pill.

The exact same drug, when prescribed for the other condition, is $2.50.

The exact same drug.

Its the FREE Market - Are you some kind of fake stalinist fascist nazi abortionist murder!?

People going straight from a standing stop to light speed absurd.
Misquoting, quoting out of context, avoiding the point, deflection............ Trolls

Yeadon
05-01-2018, 12:23 AM
The plastic shopping baskets at my local QFC grocery store are filthy. Whew, that feels better. Like a weight has been lifted.

leikec
05-01-2018, 01:22 AM
Pushrods!!!!

Thank you.

Jeff C

Canoeyawl
05-01-2018, 01:34 AM
Camshafts... !

Phil Y
05-01-2018, 02:45 AM
I can't think of anything to rant about. I hate that.

Vince Brennan
05-01-2018, 03:43 AM
The single space is now standard practice in the business world. The double space is considered to be archaic. Kids no longer learn the double space
At 72, I'M archaic! And insomniac. Not to mention dyspeptic.

skuthorp
05-01-2018, 03:48 AM
I can think of too much Phil. Just making a choice has exhausted me…………… so much so I forgot what I decided and………. um……..

Garret
05-01-2018, 06:10 AM
+1. I too find myself annoyed by what seems to be a bug in the programming. Or perhaps it is as simple as ignorance, attributable to the relevant engineer.

One of my peeves is when people don't read a thread & miss the answer/explanation just a few posts up from theirs.

skaraborgcraft
05-01-2018, 06:19 AM
I sent 2 sail bags containing 7 sails to the UK with UPS from Sweden, now they want 10 times as much as the cost to send, to bring them back!

Flying Orca
05-01-2018, 07:02 AM

On the contrary, actually. The two-space thing was an imperfect work-around solution to the visual problem posed by the inordinate amount of space between letters in monospaced typewriter typefaces; it was not the convention in actual typesetting. When computers came along and were able to use proportional typefaces, the work-around was no longer needed.

Everybody bitching about single spacing in electronic proportional type is like the mother chiding her daughter for not cutting two inches off the roast when the only reason her mom did it that way was because she had a small roaster. :D

OK, back to your regularly scheduled rants. My feet hurt. All. The. Fscking. Time. It keeps me up at night.

isla
05-01-2018, 08:00 AM
When I'm encouraged to rant I don't feel like ranting about anything. However, if left to myself something will occur to me. Besides, I don't want my rant to get mixed up with a load of other unrelated rants, that sort of takes the edge off it. So what I'm trying to say is, a free for all rant thread is basically carp and I won't have anything to do with it, so there! :p

Paul Pless
05-01-2018, 08:08 AM
Fart

isla
05-01-2018, 08:11 AM
Fart

Jeez, if I had thought of that I could have saved a lot of typing |;)

Puttputt
05-01-2018, 09:30 AM
We recently bought a new car, (ok, a used car but it was new to us). There was no place for a spare tire. No problem, said the dealer. Your car has run flat tires. In the case of a puncture your car can run another 50 kilometres without damaging the rim. What was not said was the tire cannot be repaired. Yesterday, when the inevitable occurred, I phoned the dealer and was told a new tire would cost $450 Cdn not including labour and taxes. No problem says I, I have the extended warranty. Well sir, I was told, your extended warranty does not cover the tires, there’s a separate warranty for them and you don’t appear to have it. This morning i’m buying four all season radials from my local tire shop. If anyone needs three low mileage run flat tires they’ll be in the basement.

ron ll
05-01-2018, 09:49 AM
Bicyclists. Don't get me started.

leikec
05-01-2018, 09:56 AM
Microbrewery food that tries too hard. Jesus Alou, it's a mac & cheese appetizer...it can be described on the menu in less than three paragraphs.

Jeff C

CK 17
05-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Boutique hotel wall mounted shampoo & soap dispensers.

CK 17
05-01-2018, 10:29 AM
The 230 passengers that rush the gate the second the door opens to let 230 passengers off the plane.

CK 17
05-01-2018, 10:30 AM
People who clap when the plane lands.

paulf
05-01-2018, 10:32 AM
I don't care about apathy, dammit!

Garret
05-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Pilots whose landings make me want to clap in relief that I'm still alive.

:p

paulf
05-01-2018, 10:33 AM
People who clap when the plane lands.

There usually clapping because you scared the $hyte out of em!

Figment
05-01-2018, 10:35 AM
HOTEL SOAPS THAT CANNOT BE OPENED WITH WET HANDS.

really, must we have contamination-resistant packaging on EVERYTHING? Must everything have an unbroken seal so that we can all feel like we're the extra-special people who were the very first creatures in the universe to open THIS mini-bottle of shampoo?

Who cares if the last guy might have pissed in the bottle? it's SOAP! it's self-cleaning!

Katherine
05-01-2018, 10:37 AM
FartI wish to rant about badly behaved husbands!

S.V. Airlie
05-01-2018, 10:40 AM
I wish to rant about badly behaved husbands!I'm listening. I've got a few free hours to be entertained Kat! Don't hold back now!LOL

Katherine
05-01-2018, 10:45 AM
I'm listening. I've got a few free hours to be entertained Kat! Don't hold back now!LOLHe can't run the vacuum, can't put out toilet paper, hates my cats, avoids talking to my father at all costs . . . just to name a few.

S.V. Airlie
05-01-2018, 11:00 AM
He can't run the vacuum, can't put out toilet paper, hates my cats, avoids talking to my father at all costs . . . just to name a few.OUCH! Does he at least put the toilet seat down?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Rant mode on...

There is no such thing as a chronometer escapement with a lever. A chronometer escapement, by definition, is an Earnshaw detent escapement (Yes, I know H4 was a verge watch with a seven and half second remontoire, which was included in K1, the "watch" issued to Cook, but Kendall omitted it from K2, issued to Bligh, so Bligh was obliged to work lunars - K2 was taken by Fletcher Christian and had several adventures including being owned by a Chilean muleteer before it ended up back in the NMM alongside K1 and H1,2,3 and 4.)

There was a fashion, in Victorian London, for making pocket watches with detent escapements. These are sometimes called "chronometer watches", and they do turn up in the hands of dealers, but they are scarce for two good reasons - firstly they were very difficult to make and difficult to repair, and secondly their timekeeping is absolutely lousy! A detent escapement will "skip" if shaken or stirred.

Any mechanical marine navigational timepiece with a lever escapement is a deck watch, NOT a "chronometer".

The Hamilton Model 21 is a chronometer, the Hamilton Model 22 is a deck watch - regardless of whether or not the 22 is in a conventional deck watch box (flat) or is in gimbals like a chronometer.

The use of the term "chronometer" to describe any wristwatch is a triumph of Swiss marketing over accuracy. See below for why.

Assuming that you are navigating a vessel large enough to carry a chronometer or three (never two - think about it!) you will not bring the chronometer(s) with you on deck to the place where you are standing to take you sight with your sextant. You will take your sight and use a stopwatch to take the time of the sight(s) to the chronometer(s).

So where does the deck watch come in?

Simple - as noted above smaller vessels have a motion at sea which can cause a detent escapement to skip, so they carry a lever escapement deck watch instead.

It is also possible to use a deck watch to take the time of the sight having first taken the time from the chronometer(s).

In the days of big gun warships the use of the ship's main armament was in itself sufficient to make a detent escapement skip so the chronometers were stowed deep in the innards of the ship and deck watches were used for navigation, being compared with the chronometers daily.

The absolutely critical thing, in navigating a ship, is to know GMT, and the chronometer carries GMT. Provided the chronometer is reasonably accurate, exact accuracy is not required as long as the rate is known and the real significance of the detent escapement is that it will gain or lose at a constant rate, so the rate can be applied to the time shown on the face of the instrument as a correction in order to find GMT. Since one is applying a whole battery of corrections to the sextant reading, this bothers the navigator not at all.

You will see that in the days before radio time signals this was a matter of huge importance.

A lever escapement is not as good at carrying a rate, but a really good one, such as is found in a British Admiralty deck watch or in an American railroad watch, will, if kept in one place and in one position and shielded as much as possible from changes of temperature and from abrupt movements, will hold a rate reasonably well.

Which is why Hamiltons and Walthams were able to turn out deck watches in large numbers in wartime, and is why you can never call a wristwatch a a deck watch, still less a chronometer, because if it is being waved about on your wrist the poor thing hasn't a hope of holding its rate!

Rant mode off!

(do I win?)

http://www.51allout.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet-300x300.jpg

isla
05-01-2018, 11:15 AM
^ Now that's what I call a proper rant. None of your arty-farty, airy-fairy, wishy-washy, hoity-toity rants, just a proper good old fashioned English rant |;)

jpatrick
05-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Forced upgrades to computer, phone, pad operating systems. Why can't they just fix what I have and leave the rest alone?

... And, expensive software that worked perfectly fine on the old OS but now can't be used on the new OS. ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Jeff

CWSmith
05-01-2018, 11:21 AM
OK, back to your regularly scheduled rants. My feet hurt. All. The. Fscking. Time. It keeps me up at night.

I misread this the first time. I thought it said "My feelings hurt." I wanted to say "Welcome to The Bilge!" :)

Flying Orca
05-01-2018, 11:24 AM
I misread this the first time. I thought it said "My feelings hurt." I wanted to say "Welcome to The Bilge!" :)

LOLing!

delecta
05-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Rant mode on...

Wow, you've been bitten. Forget the Bunn special, you need an Apple watch so you can talk to Siri all about it. :)

You've wound me up, let's have a race to see who gets a 21 first. It would complete the collection. I was looking around and found a 23j Riverside Waltham you might be interested in.

In keeping with the thread, I have a raptor stalking my tiny Shih tzu. It appears to be an osprey and while they normally eat fish I'm sure this time of year supplies are limited here on the coast so this ten pound treat might look inviting.

I happened to walk outside yesterday and the bird was swooping the yard, thankfully my fifty pound Weimaraner was on the case, the Shih tzu is her best friend, with out that deterrent I'm sure "Bear" would be gone.

Anyone have any ideas how to rid my yard of a hungry raptor, I'm well aware of the shotgun solution, something more peaceful for the Osprey perhaps?

CK 17
05-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Lawn chemical companies

lupussonic
05-01-2018, 12:35 PM
iTunes, and the prison they put people in.

cathouse willy
05-01-2018, 12:40 PM
On line card games (crib and solitaire) that CHEAT!!!

CWSmith
05-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Lawn chemical companies

You have something against putting signs on your yard warning that it is now a chemical hazard? I can't imagine why.

I did just put down some granule slow release and some lime to inhibit the dandylions (sp?). I'm hoping it soaks in and not just runs off into the neighboring waters.

downthecreek
05-01-2018, 01:54 PM
People who put to sea in small boats and decide to make up their own collision regulations. Worst offenders - the ones that go "oh, I just keep out of the way of anything bigger than me" or "at night I just want to be seen, so I switch on all my lights and add a few flashing ones for good measure" etc. etc. etc. Also, the ones that ignore the need to make their intentions clear to the other skipper when they are the give way vessel and just keep ploughing on, cutting things fine. Usually, when a small, early adjustment would allow everyone to relax, rather than watching with growing tension until the last moment. They may know they intend to give way, but how is the other skipper supposed to guess their intentions! BAH!

Don't these fools know that the regulations are there to minimise uncertainty for everybody? The less they are observed, the less we can rely on the them and the less they will be observed. That way lies mayhem.

Oh, and while I am at it, there are the idiots who ignore the "narrow channels" rule in some of our (very) narrow channels, thereby turning said channels into one way streets and putting people on the putty. And, when called on it, start wittering on about about who is on whose starboard side etc.

What is the world coming to? WHAT? I ask you..............:mad:

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Wow, you've been bitten. Forget the Bunn special, you need an Apple watch so you can talk to Siri all about it. :)

You've wound me up, let's have a race to see who gets a 21 first. It would complete the collection. I was looking around and found a 23j Riverside Waltham you might be interested in.

In keeping with the thread, I have a raptor stalking my tiny Shih tzu. It appears to be an osprey and while they normally eat fish I'm sure this time of year supplies are limited here on the coast so this ten pound treat might look inviting.

I happened to walk outside yesterday and the bird was swooping the yard, thankfully my fifty pound Weimaraner was on the case, the Shih tzu is her best friend, with out that deterrent I'm sure "Bear" would be gone.

Anyone have any ideas how to rid my yard of a hungry raptor, I'm well aware of the shotgun solution, something more peaceful for the Osprey perhaps?

I’m reminded of our Siamese cat dithering, half out of the cat flap, to the point where I got fed up and pushed her out of it, only for her to bolt back in, telling me I was a (feline expletive deleted) idiot, and I looked up and saw a full grown herring gull - and they really do eat anything - parked on the outhouse roof!

At this time of year a married Osprey ought to be busy patching up the marital abode, so maybe yours is still single, young and fancy free. Much like the millennial Brits, lack of housing does keep them from pairing up, sometimes. They really do prefer fish, though. I can’t think of a Cunning Plan, apart from hoping that True Love may happen sooner rather than later.

Oh, yes- whilst you will probably win as I am still doing background reading, you are on!

Very tempted by that Riverside...

Puttputt
05-01-2018, 02:22 PM
The

You could try telling it why there’s no such as a chronometer escapement with a lever. Probably keel over in five minutes.

delecta
05-01-2018, 02:37 PM
The
You could try telling it why there’s no such as a chronometer escapement with a lever. Probably keel over in five minutes.

So we have one so far for the shotgun solution. Anybody else? :D

Sky Blue
05-01-2018, 03:32 PM
I will admit to going on a rant from time to time, both here and in "real life." A character flaw, I suppose. Still, I don't need a thread to give me license or permission. I feel entitled in the abstract. Maybe that's the flaw.

purri
05-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Morris dancers that aren't Jewish... (pommy joke)

John B
05-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Lawn chemical companies

Are they the guys who dispense the stuff out the back of 'planes?

:arg Triple space and emoji. ( dang it , forgot the capitals and bold...)

delecta
05-01-2018, 04:22 PM
I'm quite sick of people apologizing and others demanding such. I think apologies should be extended to loved ones, basically reaffirming your love and that's it.

A cursory admonition when you ding a car or bump into someone, needs a new term. Perhaps the Brits here can come up with something, they seem to love to talk and do nothing.

Saying I'm sorry is quite annoying. For one, you're not sorry, you're a thinking human and you said what you thought. I actually welcome people being honest, I'd like to know how you feel and will remember what you said.

How many times have people truly expressed their feelings only to have social media a$$ wipes demand an apology? I know what the end game is, public shame. I would tell them to go screw, I said it, it's how I feel and if you don't like it don't XYZ me.

I would think it's better to allow people to speak their mind and know where they stand then to publicly shame them and cause many others to bite their tongue in fear of social justice warriors. I suppose there might be some that are truly hurt by words, I'd tell them to suck it up and get over it. If the thoughts are found to be offensive then the population can choose to govern it's self accordingly.

I'm not sure removing free speech does anything but suppress knowledge we need and inflame those with the thoughts some don't want to hear.

paulf
05-01-2018, 04:26 PM
I'm quite sick of people apologizing and others demanding such. I think apologies should be extended to loved ones, basically reaffirming your love and that's it.

A cursory admonition when you ding a car or bump into someone, needs a new term. Perhaps the Brits here can come up with something, they seem to love to talk and do nothing.

Saying I'm sorry is quite annoying. For one, you're not sorry, you're a thinking human and you said what you thought. I actually welcome people being honest, I'd like to know how you feel and will remember what you said.

How many times have people truly expressed their feelings only to have social media a$$ wipes demand an apology? I know what the end game is, public shame. I would tell them to go screw, I said it, it's how I feel and if you don't like it don't XYZ me.

I would think it's better to allow people to speak their mind and know where they stand then to publicly shame them and cause many others to bite their tongue in fear of social justice warriors. I suppose there might be some that are truly hurt by words, I'd tell them to suck it up and get over it. If the thoughts are found to be offensive then the population can choose to govern it's self accordingly.

I'm not sure removing free speech does anything but suppress knowledge we need and inflame those with the thoughts some don't want to hear.

No one gives a fook what you think...how's that?

isla
05-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Delecta must really love people, because "Love means never having to say you're sorry". Have I got that right?

CWSmith
05-01-2018, 04:30 PM
I'm quite sick of people apologizing

I'm sorry.

Saying I'm sorry is quite annoying.

I'm sorry for that, too.

If I apologize enough, will your head explode? :)

delecta
05-01-2018, 04:53 PM
No one gives a fook what you think...how's that?

Actually some do, and I already knew you held that position.

So we're good, as an addition, since I already know your thoughts your post was a waste of time. :)

Garret
05-01-2018, 05:37 PM
Delecta must really love people, because "Love means never having to say you're sorry". Have I got that right?

Almost exact (Starts with "Being in"). I think we need to force him to watch the whole movie! How's that for cruel & unusual punishment?

Arizona Bay
05-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Fknfkn US drug prices!

Woke up Fri. morning and couldn't breathe, got a quick ride to the hospital and admitted for 4 days, is a rather rude introduction to COPD. Lots of drugs, MRI, Cat, X rays etc...
Now I'm released and discover one of the scripts (Advaire) is $400!. I looked online at Canada prices and it's under 60cdn.

Our health is simply a way to finance someone else's wealth
Nothing like living in a Corporatist thug state.

grrrrrrr

bobbys
05-02-2018, 02:55 AM
Rant mode on...

There is no such thing as a chronometer escapement with a lever. A chronometer escapement, by definition, is an Earnshaw detent escapement (Yes, I know H4 was a verge watch with a seven and half second remontoire, which was included in K1, the "watch" issued to Cook, but Kendall omitted it from K2, issued to Bligh, so Bligh was obliged to work lunars - K2 was taken by Fletcher Christian and had several adventures including being owned by a Chilean muleteer before it ended up back in the NMM alongside K1 and H1,2,3 and 4.)

There was a fashion, in Victorian London, for making pocket watches with detent escapements. These are sometimes called "chronometer watches", and they do turn up in the hands of dealers, but they are scarce for two good reasons - firstly they were very difficult to make and difficult to repair, and secondly their timekeeping is absolutely lousy! A detent escapement will "skip" if shaken or stirred.

Any mechanical marine navigational timepiece with a lever escapement is a deck watch, NOT a "chronometer".

The Hamilton Model 21 is a chronometer, the Hamilton Model 22 is a deck watch - regardless of whether or not the 22 is in a conventional deck watch box (flat) or is in gimbals like a chronometer.

The use of the term "chronometer" to describe any wristwatch is a triumph of Swiss marketing over accuracy. See below for why.

Assuming that you are navigating a vessel large enough to carry a chronometer or three (never two - think about it!) you will not bring the chronometer(s) with you on deck to the place where you are standing to take you sight with your sextant. You will take your sight and use a stopwatch to take the time of the sight(s) to the chronometer(s).

Simple - as noted above smaller vessels have a motion at sea which can cause a detent escapement to skip, so they carry a lever escapement deck watch instead.

It is also possible to use a deck watch to take the time of the sight having first taken the time from the chronometer(s).

In the days of big gun warships the use of the ship's main armament was in itself sufficient to make a detent escapement skip so the chronometers were stowed deep in the innards of the ship and deck watches were used for navigation, being compared with the chronometers daily.

The absolutely critical thing, in navigating a ship, is to know GMT, and the chronometer carries GMT. Provided the chronometer is reasonably accurate, exact accuracy is not required as long as the rate is known and the real significance of the detent escapement is that it will gain or lose at a constant rate, so the rate can be applied to the time shown on the face of the instrument as a correction in order to find GMT. Since one is applying a whole battery of corrections to the sextant reading, this bothers the navigator not at all.

You will see that in the days before radio time signals this was a matter of huge importance.

A lever escapement is not as good at carrying a rate, but a really good one, such as is found in a British Admiralty deck watch or in an American railroad watch, will, if kept in one place and in one position and shielded as much as possible from changes of temperature and from abrupt movements, will hold a rate reasonably well.

Which is why Hamiltons and Walthams were able to turn out deck watches in large numbers in wartime, and is why you can never call a wristwatch a a deck watch, still less a chronometer, because if it is being waved about on your wrist the poor thing hasn't a hope of holding its rate!

Rant mode off!

(do I win?)

http://www.51allout.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet-300x300.jpg.

I was going to say i was just at the grocery store and could not open 4 plastic bags, i threw them down in disgust.

Now my rant is not even on the same planet as yours.

bobbys
05-02-2018, 03:04 AM
I spent 4 years as a trim carpenter.

Everyone wanted to save money and figured they would paint.

How hard could it be?.

I would be very careful with the trim only to have some yahoo brush against it and leave paint all over..

Although most painters are rummys you still need them.

delecta
05-02-2018, 06:04 AM
^ learn't how to use an oval trim brush yet?

The tools are usually not the problem when it comes to painters. Since I've worked in construction and the automotive field I've seen my share of "painters" I had a body man that when he had his head on straight he could lay down some glass, Monday morning would involve getting a particle mask, dipping it in lacquer thinner, placing the mask in the desired position on the face and lay down in the backseat of what ever car was available.

He said only the weak brain cells die.

LeeG
05-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Bicyclists. Don't get me started.

cyclists who ride against traffic

LeeG
05-02-2018, 06:24 AM
At 72, I'M archaic! And insomniac. Not to mention dyspeptic.

A friend of mine is turning 75. I said “wait I thought you were 72”. He said “that was three years ago”.

LeeG
05-02-2018, 06:33 AM
Fknfkn US drug prices!

Woke up Fri. morning and couldn't breathe, got a quick ride to the hospital and admitted for 4 days, is a rather rude introduction to COPD. Lots of drugs, MRI, Cat, X rays etc...
Now I'm released and discover one of the scripts (Advaire) is $400!. I looked online at Canada prices and it's under 60cdn.

Our health is simply a way to finance someone else's wealth
Nothing like living in a Corporatist thug state.

grrrrrrr

I remember those. My daughter used it for a year. At first we got a handful as free samples then they were $20-$40 in a few months. Hope you get improvement on the copd thing.

LeeG
05-02-2018, 06:40 AM
He can't run the vacuum, can't put out toilet paper, hates my cats, avoids talking to my father at all costs . . . just to name a few.

Ah, but can he run a shop vac?
Paul sounds like a good problem solver.

Canoeyawl
05-02-2018, 08:08 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Grasshopper-escapement_colored.gif

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-02-2018, 09:37 AM
So we have one so far for the shotgun solution. Anybody else? :D

I think the MTOW of a mature female osprey, in robust good health, is about 9 lbs - four for the airframe and five for the cargo. You sometimes see an osprey swim for the shore, towing a big fish, after failing to take off - unlike other raptors their feathers are oily, like a waterfowl's.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Well, this Brit tends to agree, (but then... he had an American grandmother...)

Of course, in Britain, we use "I'm sorry!" as an aggressive form of interrogative, implying that you simply do not believe that the person addressed could possibly have said anything as crass, offensive and downright dishonest as whatever they just said.

This is in the same category as the Army NCO or the Oxbridge college porter's use of the term "Sir!" to express bottomless contempt for someone

Young ladies also use "Sorry!" as a term of abuse, usually reserved for the middle aged.

But I agree that public apology is cheap and unless the wrong is actually put right first, it is meaningless.

downthecreek
05-02-2018, 02:07 PM
But I agree that public apology is cheap and unless the wrong is actually put right first, it is meaningless.

Not entirely. I used to think the mumbled "sorry" between strangers in crowded places, when they obstruct, bump into, inconvenience etc. someone else in a crowded place has its utility. It doesn't express any significant emotion, but it does serve as an acknowledgment of the other person's existence and entitlement to some consideration. It's a sort of lubrication of interactions that might otherwise cause a flash of resentment. And lots of such flashes build up......

On the other side of the coin, drivers around my neck of the woods (and yours, too, I expect) are elaborately courteous and always acknowledge, even if you are just giving way when they have every right to expect it. It does make for a culture of generally peaceful and amicable driving experience and I always miss it when I drive into, or even nearer, London, for example. It's the sort of culture that caused an American friend on her first visit to exclaim "I don't know how you don't all kill each other!" when we first drove down one of our many single track roads with occasional passing places, which people manage for the most part, without friction.

Both habits are really just cultural knee jerks, but neither is pointless or useless.

Sky Blue
05-02-2018, 02:28 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Grasshopper-escapement_colored.gif

I like It! Don't tell SoCal. :)

Garret
05-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Rober Heinlein said it well: "Courtesy is the lubrication of civilization. Without it, civilization comes to a screeching halt"

webishop14
05-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Rant mode on...

Rant mode off!

(do I win?)

Thank you for the refresher. We visited the NMM last year and my wife gifted me with a book from the gift shop detailing the creation of the chronometer.

delecta
05-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Rober Heinlein said it well: "Courtesy is the lubrication of civilization. Without it, civilization comes to a screeching halt"

It seems the binders have been applied, there is no courtesy any longer along the great political divide. Let's hope another quote from the past is without merit in a modern society which he so embraced.

CK 17
05-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Assuming that you are navigating a vessel large enough to carry a chronometer or three (never two - think about it!)modern aircraft have 3 AIr Data Inertial Reference Units. If one fails, hopefully the system correctly disregards the bad one.

Flying Orca
05-02-2018, 06:35 PM
It seems the binders have been applied, there is no courtesy any longer along the great political divide. Let's hope another quote from the past is without merit in a modern society which he so embraced.

Heinlein advised courtesy between people. He gave short shrift to bad ideas, and had little time for those who espoused them. I don't think it's any great mystery what he would have thought of today's Republicans and the turd they have put in office.

TXdoug
05-02-2018, 09:32 PM
I did not read one damn bit of this thread but I'll respond nonetheless. I did read the title the other day and have been trying real hard to remember that thing that pissed me off the other day. Just can't , a word I rarely use, guess it did not consume enough.:rolleyes:

Hallam
05-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Every one with a computer, speakers and a microphone in their bedroom says they have a recording studio!
What's up with that!!
Stupid ignorant morons!!!
Aarr@!!!!
:arg

Jimmy W
05-03-2018, 12:07 AM
Every one with a computer, speakers and a microphone in their bedroom says they have a recording studio!
What's up with that!!
Stupid ignorant morons!!!
Aarr@!!!!
:arg

More power to them.

https://youtu.be/DrDSqLO4Hf8

downthecreek
05-03-2018, 01:44 AM
"I'm sorry" is Canadian for F You. Like when they run into you on the ice, and say "Oh, I'm sorry."

Slightly preferable to the the alternative then, perhaps? |:)

Chippie
05-03-2018, 02:39 AM
Mine was going to be about this claptrap.

Who cares?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/professor-stephen-hawkings-final-theory-the-universe-is-a-hologram/ar-AAwEA5O?ocid=spartandhp

But this has been superseded by this 2 space malarkey.

If they had they had experienced an Enemy converging on their position and were drafting an appeal for urgent assistance they would really appreciate receiving an admonishing reply.

2 spaces FFS.

Gawdstrewth 2 spaces,

STUFF BREAKFAST HAVE YOU READ THIS? 2 SPACES YEAH I'LL BE BANNED IF I POST THAT Sweetheart.

Sorry I got carried away there.

Ron Williamson
05-03-2018, 05:21 AM
Sorry?
There is no call for that sort of talk.
R

Chippie
05-03-2018, 12:59 PM
"I'm sorry" is Canadian for F You.Like when they run into you on the ice, and say "Oh, I'm sorry."

Sorry?
There is no call for that sort of talk.
R

So I'll direct the Canadian response in your direction Ron. :D

BrianY
05-03-2018, 02:31 PM
I am irked by people who bring their dogs into stores, supermarkets, etc....Not legitimate service dogs, they're ok, but it's the folks that treat their dogs like their children and bring them everywhere without any consideration of whether they location is appropriate for an animal or not. If I can't go barefoot in a grocery store, why in God's name is it ok for Fido or Fifi to be in there?

Paul Pless
05-03-2018, 03:59 PM
I am irked by people who bring their dogs into stores, supermarkets, etc....Not legitimate service dogs, they're ok, but it's the folks that treat their dogs like their children and bring them everywhere without any consideration of whether they location is appropriate for an animal or not. If I can't go barefoot in a grocery store, why in God's name is it ok for Fido or Fifi to be in there?

worth noting many stores now welcome dogs

i train service dogs and military dogs and detection dogs and search and rescue dogs and cadaver dogs from time to time, i always ask if i may bring my dogs that are in training into the store, restaurant, or other business before doing so; i can count on one hand the times i've been turned down

Joe (SoCal)
05-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Freaking Staryucks BS pisses me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSk0B0dVq4g

Joe (SoCal)
05-03-2018, 04:20 PM
worth noting many stores now welcome dogs

i train service dogs and military dogs and detection dogs and search and rescue dogs and cadaver dogs from time to time, i always ask if i may bring my dogs that are in training into the store, restaurant, or other business before doing so; i can count on one hand the times i've been turned down

California dogs are allowed EVERYWHERE !!!!

https://scontent.fhhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31790921_10213696653304059_6686946561529741312_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=51ec7c45b797f04c49aa61ae964bd05b&oe=5B907353

https://scontent.fhhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21558916_10211880820589376_7767347240096529010_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4ca62d074685f42271f03f6a87b2f508&oe=5B934E91

https://scontent.fhhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26992453_10212916019068691_7931001355506069971_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e281ec4078a08baea63d01a765bf4d27&oe=5B969845

This one always drive's em crazy :)

https://scontent.fhhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12741873_10207024727230077_3010203006003235126_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f78c51d466348b696748e7f25fd47b21&oe=5B9C5674

mmd
05-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Since everybody is slagging people who apologise too profusely, I'll toss this mini-rant out:

What the hell are people thinking when they insult you publicly ("Fred stood back from his workbench, pointed at the lead hand, and loudly stated to the roomful of coworkers, 'You are an asshole, an incompetent, and are unqualified to be lead hand!'"), then think that they can erase the insult by coming to you privately to apologise? (Fred approached the lead hand in the parking lot after work and said, 'I'm sorry, I just lost my temper. I hope that we're OK now')

No. You are not forgiven. If you offered the insult publicly, you don't get a pass until you apologise publicly, preferably in front of the people who witnessed your insult. Man up, ya weasel!

Garret
05-03-2018, 05:56 PM
When visiting farm country in the midwest, I found that most all the restaurants serve non-dairy coffee creamer. WTH? Ever hear of supporting other farmers?

Paul Pless
05-03-2018, 06:01 PM
When visiting farm country in the midwest, I found that most all the restaurants serve non-dairy coffee creamer. WTH? Ever hear of supporting other farmers?

On a a related note, what the **** is the point of fat free half and half? Seriously?

L.W. Baxter
05-03-2018, 06:05 PM
On a a related note, what the **** is the point of fat free half and half? Seriously?

Why do they put the decaf on the same shelves as the actual coffee.

A years worth of failed coffee purchases:

You can see somebody even opened one and made "coffee".

Paul Pless
05-03-2018, 06:15 PM
I accidentally bought some goddamned fat free half and half a few weeks ago. Even the dogs turned their noses up to it. . .

Paul Pless
05-03-2018, 06:17 PM
Wait! You're a liberal intellectually elite member of this forum and you buy pre-ground coffee? WTH?

Why do they put the decaf on the same shelves as the actual coffee.

A years worth of failed coffee purchases:

You can see somebody even opened one and made "coffee".

Garret
05-03-2018, 06:18 PM
You gots picky dogs, eh?

The garbage hounds I've had over the years would eat anything.

Garret
05-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Damnit! Why on earth do you have to run that noisy coffee grinder at 6 AM? Can't you buy pre-ground coffee like normal people?

Oh wait - that wasn't my rant...

Paul Pless
05-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Oh wait - that wasn't my rant...lmfao

L.W. Baxter
05-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Wait! You're a liberal intellectually elite member of this forum and you buy pre-ground coffee? WTH?

I am actually bobbys' sock puppet.

Garret
05-03-2018, 06:22 PM
I'll admit - that was the intent.

Garret
05-03-2018, 06:23 PM
I am actually bobbys' sock puppet.

Wouldn't bobbys have a Croc puppet? Spell that any way you like...

Chip-skiff
05-03-2018, 06:42 PM
I don't rant much.

I just get all snarly and stiff-legged, and the hair on my neck stands up.

https://i.imgur.com/kDy4Utn.jpg

Next stop, puncture wounds.

Ron Williamson
05-03-2018, 06:57 PM
So I'll direct the Canadian response in your direction Ron. :D

Right!
Sorry, right back at you.
R

Hallam
05-03-2018, 08:46 PM
More power to them.

https://youtu.be/DrDSqLO4Hf8

More power to them.... couldn't agree more, she's a good player......... but that recording is way below professional and illustrates what i'm ranting about!
If it was a wooden boat it wouldn't float! The guitar has too much room in the mic and not enough guitar and the backing track is even more roomy.
Record a live band in the one room and If you don't know what your doing or how to use your equipment the results are obvious.

Joe (SoCal)
05-03-2018, 10:00 PM
I accidentally bought some goddamned fat free half and half a few weeks ago. Even the dogs turned their noses up to it. . .

I do it more time that I care to admit, then run back and always have to run right back and exchange it. Cause life is too short to have fat free 1/2 & 1/2.

Figment
05-04-2018, 06:49 AM
When you buy a coffee in a paper cup and they install the lid such that the mouthpiece coincides with the seam in the cup, I’m left to wonder, just what the hell is this world coming to?

Garret
05-04-2018, 06:54 AM
When you buy a coffee in a paper cup and they install the lid such that the mouthpiece coincides with the seam in the cup, I’m left to wonder, just what the hell is this world coming to?

Aha! Someone else this bug the crap outa! +1000

Additionally, not putting the lid on quite all the way, so when you go to pick it up out of the cupholder in the car, it spills all over the place.

Note that these 2 rants are easily solved by using a reusable cup - but I too sometimes forget it...

Oh - another rant: Why do some cupholders have a foam pad in the base so they absorb the spilled liquid & are impossible to clean?

Paul Pless
05-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Best thread ever for a bunch of grumpy old men.

Garret
05-04-2018, 07:00 AM
People who rant about first world problems

:p

[yep - I include myself in this]

leikec
05-04-2018, 07:04 AM
My rant--people who drink coffee and then carry on about it all day...

:D

Jeff C

Paul Pless
05-04-2018, 07:10 AM
My rant--people who drink coffee and then carry on about it all day...

:D

Jeff Ctrust me, it could be worse
imagine if we were deprived of our coffee. . .
talk about dope fiends

jonboy
05-04-2018, 07:15 AM
ok here's my tuppence worth of rant. prologue. I don't smoke, have never put a cigarette to my lips the thought of the soggy joint being passed around utterly repels me, but I will happily stand in the slipstream of a good cigar, lay around on the couch at the indie cinema where just being there gets you stoned, Gauloise, some pipe tobacco ok by me. But most tobacco smells foul and is offensive to me. Its your life your decision your lungs... and if I don't want to go into asmoky venue I don't have to.

The Rant... the worst thing thats happened in the last few years is the total ban on smoking in restaurants and bars and the workplace. and if your car is your workplace you can't smoke there either in some countries.

I cannot see why there can't be dedicated smoking áreas. sealed, away from anyone who doesn't want to be there. I don't want to eat where someone is smoking, so they have a smoking room ..not a bit over there in the corner of the same room, , but a separate room. A bar where smoking is allowed. Fine I can chose to go there or not.

BUT now, smokers are forced outside and that is offensive to me as it takes away my freedom of choice . I can't sit on a street café or terrace anymore, as its the one place they can smoke, so its a magnet to the smokers which makes it all the more concentrated....even walking down the road behind someone smoking is vile. The cluster of addicts outside the office block, huddled on the public pavement creating a serious smelly fug. I can't avoid that. AND when most smokers wouldn't dream of dropping litter, why do they think it's ok to throw their butts down anywhere even out of the car window, with obvious fire risks. Thats a big thing here as you might have heard last summer, and Oz and Califórnia....
Bring back smoking bars clubs restaurants, and make smoking in public ilegal.
So there. Ranted

LeeG
05-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Damnit! Why on earth do you have to run that noisy coffee grinder at 6 AM? Can't you buy pre-ground coffee like normal people?

Oh wait - that wasn't my rant...

wrap it in two towels then press it into your belly facing away from the sleepers.

CWSmith
05-04-2018, 07:31 AM

Yes! I always have to rotate the lid away from the seam. Is it their first day everyday?

LeeG
05-04-2018, 07:51 AM
the teen workers at the shop who leave utility knives and scissors on the floor after unwrapping a kayak.
Their water bottles that get left here and there.

The kayak manufacturers who try to reinvent the footbrace, seat or methods for adhering minicell foam bulkheads that fail in regular use in six months.

Design flaws that are evident immediately to a few months after a new model is introduced after months of pre-production “testing” and arent fixed for years. My latest rant is a very good fishing kayak, paddles well, good seat, bling this and that but the GD extruded aluminum accessory tracks that are black anodized did not have the sharp edges ground off before anodizing. Four rails eight tapered ends with sixteen razor sharp points on the interior slot where you will slide parts on and off with wet fingers or swivel your legs over wearing a $1000 dry suit. This was pointed out to them a year ago and no change! It’s like an auto manufacturer having a piece of metal flashing in the glove compartment that will shread your fingers if you blindly look around for something. Seriously, wet pruny cold hands can get cut up and you won’t feel it at first then you notice the blood, or it’s summertime in the .chesapeake and the bacterial count for Frankenmicrobes is high and your body gets to be tested for it’s resistance to the latest flesh eating microbe.
The bicycle industry has been sued up and down so many times on so many components where operator ignorance is the primary cause of failure followed by defective design or construction that ****e rarely goes out the door but because recreational use kayaks don’t send you crashing to the asphalt really dumb and occasionally dangerous details get a pass.

Garret
05-04-2018, 07:55 AM
People who put sharp knives in the drawer with the edge up. Take an extra second to turn it down so you don't slice yourself when reaching for a knife! Especially on a boat, where a wave might throw you forward right onto the edge.

jonboy
05-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Don't put sharp knives in a drawer, ever. magnetic strip in the galley or a knife block. same at home.

Garret
05-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Don't put sharp knives in a drawer, ever. magnetic strip in the galley or a knife block. same at home.

That's what I do, but when you're on someone elses boat...

jonboy
05-04-2018, 08:08 AM
.................stay out of the galley Fair point tho'

LeeG
05-04-2018, 08:10 AM
gd 1/4” plastic p-clamps used as rudder deployment line guides on some kayaks.

http://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ZyAUoMoQMeJjy1Xaq6ASsFXaK/200pcs-Black-Nylon-Plastic-P-Clips-Fasteners-P-Type-Clamp-Clip-Assorted-Box-For-Cable-Conduit.jpg_220x220.jpg

These were used for decades on Perception kayaks and still occasionally on others. They could have used p-clamps with thickened and rounded over edges but noooooo they used these sharp edge mofos that will slice out a nice 1/8”x1/16” piece of water softened hands. Why would one ever do that? When doing a basic rescue where you grab the other persons ruddered kayak by the stern in bouncy conditions and turn work your way around to the bow. Or even picking up the boat on land with another person and your hand brushes over it. You’d think by 2018, let alone 1998, these folks would know that sharp edges aren’t a good feature on a boat that you handle.

jonboy
05-04-2018, 08:24 AM
My LeRoy Merlin /BnQ/ Homebase type DiY shop... a big general tools and materials place, generally ok, but twice now.....
Sold me a biscuit cutter but never stocks the biscuits, and a power file that uses a skinny sort of belt sander belt, and doesn't stock them either.

'That's weird, you must be the tenth person today , there's just no demand for them'....or somesuch nonsense

Canoeyawl
05-04-2018, 10:07 AM
trust me, it could be worse
imagine if we were deprived of our coffee. . .
talk about dope fiends

You have heard about the new tariff proposals on Coffee then? I thought that was not going to be announced until after the midterms...

Phil Y
05-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Rant mode on...

Rant mode off!

(do I win?)

http://www.51allout.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet-300x300.jpg
In that second to last sentence you used "will" twice. I hate that. Spoiled a really good rant.

Figment
05-08-2018, 02:28 PM
SOME PEOPLE.

some people moan and whine and complain all winter long about how cold it is inside and how the air inside is so stale and musty.
Warm weather arrives.
I open just about every window I can reach.
those SAME people moan and whine and complain about the open windows, because the pollen. oh, the pollen!

Pollen season has mostly passed. NOW can we open some windows and get an airchange up in this piece?

Nope. Gnats.

Garret
05-08-2018, 02:42 PM
I've always said that you can complain about the cold or about the heat - but not both.

Ted Hoppe
05-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Last week I made an emotional decision to buy the BMW racer. I have been on serious inquires of prices for them and know much about the availability. It should be known this is toy than practical commuter. The sexy bike has been hanging on my vision board for more than a year. The San Francisco dealer has been harassing me since I had a 1000 deposit on a smaller 310 gs sight unseen. (After riding the demo bike - I was less passionate as I saw the draw backs of a small bike on a California freeway.) The growingly impatient salesman conviinced me to come on down last Tuesday to see my new racer stating he could deliver the best deal I could possible get in the Bay Area. After I told him it was my sons 18th birthday and my time was limited. He said come on down - you'll be in and out in less than a half hour with my new bike.

So on Saturday at 12:30 pm, I got my jacket and helmet together and took the Train into the city and Uber since I was going to pick up the bike. It took more than a hour to get to the SF dealer. I arrived at 2 pm as discussed for our appointment, complete the payment and take delivery. I went up the the salesman and reintroduced my self. He gave me a blank stare when I said I was there for the appointment and delivery. He asked me what my name was again after I introduced myself. Then he says, " Oh, yeah, you." I said yes it was finally me and I am ready to pick up my new bike.
He then said, the bike had been sold on Thursday and although it was on the floor it was not available (no sold sign on the bike). He said I'll get you another next week but he would have to break it in for me which would include a 250 mile ride done by him to Monterey. When I said that wouldn't work for me he suggested a different lesser bike and type that had nearly 700 demo miles on it for the same price as the price we agreed upon on the phone. I told him that wouldn't work for me and I was going to be away for the next two week. When I asked for my credit card deposit back, he told me he couldn't do that and needed the stores manager to do that but not until Tuesday (today).

I left the dealership with with my jacket and helmet with no new bike. As I got back on the Bart Train home - I realized how much I was just played and how I wasted my time. I got pretty pissed at myself . Luckily there was chocolate birthday cake and steak dinner to think about instead. Now that the weekend, steak and cake is over, I am really ticked again.

Phil Y
05-22-2018, 05:35 PM
What an a....hole! Publish your story all over the bike forums Ted.

Paul Pless
05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
that's way ****** up

Canoeyawl
05-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Call the credit card company, they have big teeth...

The Bigfella
05-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Send the dealer an invoice for your time and costs too.

LeeG
05-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Best thread ever for a bunch of grumpy old men.

yeah

Ted Hoppe
05-23-2018, 12:14 AM
yeah

old men being angry and ranting is cool.

Kinda cathartic to write a rant and post it.

oznabrag
05-23-2018, 01:32 AM
Don't get me started!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Garret
05-23-2018, 06:59 AM
An old one for me, but recently experienced: Even if the toilet seat has a gap in the front, your aim is not good enough to keep from getting some on the seat. Lift the damn thing up!

And on a boat, leave the cover down so nothing will fall in it - but we here all know that.

FF
05-23-2018, 07:18 AM
People in motorboats, most motorboats and especially motorboat wakes

mmd
05-23-2018, 07:24 AM
Everybody's an expert...

Garret
05-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Everybody's an expert...

But some of us are! ;)

Phil Y
05-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Trump. And threads about Trump. Had enough.

mmd
05-23-2018, 06:04 PM
^Is it allowed to agree with rants here?

Sailor
05-23-2018, 09:31 PM
The word "currently". It's utterly superfluous. Remove it from nearly every sentence you see it in and the meaning of the sentence doesn't change one bit.

Paul Pless
05-23-2018, 09:42 PM
I’ll get right on that presently Sailor.

Canoeyawl
05-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Presently, we have a president that is an idiot and presently that will change.
Does that present wrongly?

Lew Barrett
05-24-2018, 12:47 AM
It's optimistic but satisfying.

bobbys
05-24-2018, 01:18 AM
Presently, we have a president that is an idiot and presently that will change.
Does that present wrongly?

Ya kinda love how he beat the worlds smartest woman.

Canoeyawl
05-24-2018, 01:51 AM
By cheating and stealing?
Some love it, yes.

The Bigfella
05-24-2018, 02:25 AM
I want to rant about my daughter. She's gone on holidays again. To the Cinque Terre. Every time she goes on holiday, something goes to crap. She ended up with amoebic dysentery in Goa... got re-routed because of the Mumbai terrorist attack, got rushed out of Syria in the early hours of the morning because the war had started and the borders were closing.

So - got a brief message she was hospitalised in Italy this trip. Allergic reaction to something. Got no news for two days... but at least I see her on Instagram now.... posted from the ambulance, with sirens blaring. Anyhow... apparently she's back on holiday again now.

LeeG
05-24-2018, 02:43 AM
Out of town drivers, actually in town ones as well.

CK 17
05-24-2018, 07:27 AM
Out of town drivers, actually in town ones as well.

https://youtu.be/XWPCE2tTLZQ

CK 17
05-24-2018, 07:29 AM
I’m greatful I’m not handicapped, but Getting a hotel room equipped for handicapped guests is a drag.

LeeG
05-24-2018, 08:10 AM
https://youtu.be/XWPCE2tTLZQ

Riding into work yesterday, out of town Suburban in a right hand merging lane with a Yield sign is three car lengths behind me. It’s not a fast lane, I’m going 15mph accelerating on a downhill and they’re going about 25 mph and not slowing down. All I need to do is cross diagonally 20’ from the right side of the lane I’m in to the right side of the road past where the other road merges. Day time running lights, lots of visibility and they were furious I occupied for three seconds the place they felt was theirs. I had the effing right of way and they had plenty of room to pass me 50’ down the road. It’s as though they came to a crosswalk and were furious they had to yield to pedestrians.

bobbys
05-24-2018, 09:22 AM
I want to rant about my daughter. She's gone on holidays again. To the Cinque Terre. Every time she goes on holiday, something goes to crap. She ended up with amoebic dysentery in Goa... got re-routed because of the Mumbai terrorist attack, got rushed out of Syria in the early hours of the morning because the war had started and the borders were closing.

So - got a brief message she was hospitalised in Italy this trip. Allergic reaction to something. Got no news for two days... but at least I see her on Instagram now.... posted from the ambulance, with sirens blaring. Anyhow... apparently she's back on holiday again now..

She must know my daughter..

Hey dad , im back packing through india,..
I asked her to bring back one of those cobra snakes, never even got a little one.

Chippie
05-25-2018, 10:46 AM
Inappropriate at the moment.

Figment
05-29-2018, 09:20 AM
People who mispronounce asterisk as "astrix"!!!

Particularly when the people, whose "B.A. in Communications and Business Writing" qualifications are displayed on-screen in the webex they're hosting.

Paul Pless
05-29-2018, 09:35 AM
snort

LeeG
05-29-2018, 10:34 AM
people who don’t break down their boxes before tossing them in the dumpster

Ron Williamson
05-29-2018, 11:35 AM
The word "currently". It's utterly superfluous. Remove it from nearly every sentence you see it in and the meaning of the sentence doesn't change one bit.

In this case,isn't 'utterly' also superfluous?
R

Dave Gray
05-29-2018, 11:43 AM
In this case,isn't 'utterly' also superfluous?
R

I currently feel that is utterly preposterous.

downthecreek
05-29-2018, 01:49 PM
Men who insist on "helping" when they see this old gal peacefully going about her nautical business. Happened today. I and a male friend were peacefully turning my boat round, end for end, taking advantage of the breeze and a bit of bow windage, all under complete control and requiring not a word to be spoken between us. Then a boat neighbour - more or less new to sailing - sprinted up and actually tried to take the line out of my hand.

Of course, it's intended kindly and I appreciate that. But if I need help I'LL ASK FOR IT! Few things are less helpful than determined "helpers" who don't bother to ask if help is needed, if so, what help, and who have no idea how to do what is being done. Same when we come alongside. I use a midships spring with a splendid hook and it's (usually) perfectly simple. I really would rather people didn't grab the line etc.

These are the actions of kind, decent, well intentioned men. I love them dearly. I always thank them with good grace. No point slighting good intentions. But with their own gender, it's more a question of "need any help, mate?" "We're fine, mate, thanks" "OK" That would do. I know I'm an ungrateful wretch, but still......;)

Flying Orca
05-29-2018, 01:52 PM
I currently feel that is utterly preposterous.

I used to feel that way, but currently I don't. Which is utterly... something.

Lew Barrett
05-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Neighbors who do their laundry at dinner time, love dryer sheets and whose dryer vent is aimed at our screened porch.

Paul Pless
05-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Neighbors who do their laundry at dinner time, love dryer sheets and whose dryer vent is aimed at our screened porch.Things that one never suffers in Hell.

Garret
05-29-2018, 02:42 PM
People who let their dogs bark. And bark, and bark.

jonboy
05-29-2018, 02:47 PM
nucular power stations

Paul Pless
05-29-2018, 03:11 PM
People who let their dogs bark. And bark, and bark.people who buy a farm and then build a mcmansion on it next door to a kennel that has been located there for fifty one years and houses as many as three hundred dogs and then they complain about dogs that bark and bark and bark. . .

bastards

Garret
05-29-2018, 03:28 PM
people who buy a farm and then build a mcmansion on it next door to a kennel that has been located there for fifty one years and houses as many as three hundred dogs and then they complain about dogs that bark and bark and bark. . .

bastards

I agree 100%. This ain't a kennel I'm talking about - but owners who can't be bothered.

One of the last straws for me in the town in CT I grew up in (OK - got older in) was some people who moved in from "the city". They bought a house next door to a sawmill that'd been in the same family at the same location for 5 generations. A few months after moving in, they filed an official complaint with the town about the noise (the mill was already limited to only running from 0800 to 1600 M-F) & the planning commission decided in their favor & told the mill it had to shut down. I'm guessing that anyone who built boats in SW CT before the 70's knew about Gregory's Sawmill - as they dealt mostly in oak.

jonboy
05-29-2018, 03:33 PM
In a rural setting in England many moons ago a rich city stockbroker type moved into the village, bought a Range Rover, a pair of Purdeys and moleskins and a Barbour and at the parish council meeting stood up and complained about mud on the road and the noise of the local agricultural engineer working all night sometimes, fixing tractors and harvesters.
No comment (postable, anyway)

Ron Williamson
05-29-2018, 08:41 PM
I agree 100%. This ain't a kennel I'm talking about - but owners who can't be bothered.

One of the last straws for me in the town in CT I grew up in (OK - got older in) was some people who moved in from "the city". They bought a house next door to a sawmill that'd been in the same family at the same location for 5 generations. A few months after moving in, they filed an official complaint with the town about the noise (the mill was already limited to only running from 0800 to 1600 M-F) & the planning commission decided in their favor & told the mill it had to shut down. I'm guessing that anyone who built boats in SW CT before the 70's knew about Gregory's Sawmill - as they dealt mostly in oak.

Cute.
Around here,they'd be told to bugger off.
By almost everyone.

By tradition,150-odd years,the dock in Southampton is available for boat repair and construction.
Too bad,if you don't like it.
R

Garret
05-29-2018, 09:31 PM
Cute.
Around here,they'd be told to bugger off.
By almost everyone.

By tradition,150-odd years,the dock in Southampton is available for boat repair and construction.
Too bad,if you don't like it.
R

They would in VT as well - I could tell you of a similar case. Not only did the judge tell 'em to take a hike, but also made them pay all court costs.

The fact that the PC went along with the idjuts was one of the reasons I moved away. My folks later moved away for a similar reason.

downthecreek
05-30-2018, 12:29 AM
In a rural setting in England many moons ago a rich city stockbroker type moved into the village, bought a Range Rover, a pair of Purdeys and moleskins and a Barbour and at the parish council meeting stood up and complained about mud on the road and the noise of the local agricultural engineer working all night sometimes, fixing tractors and harvesters.
No comment (postable, anyway)

Rather in the same vein as the people who buy a house near an ancient village church with a glorious peal of bells and many centuries of ringing tradition - then start complaining about the noise.

Figment
05-30-2018, 08:11 AM
I've lived near churches with bells. Not a problem.
I've lived near factories with whistles at 8, 12, and 4. Not a problem.
I've lived near fire stations that sound the siren at noon. Not a problem.

I currently live near our town-center police/fire/postoffice station, which has its benefits, but for the first year I found it curious that they seemed to sound the siren at random hours. That curiosity eventually turned to annoyance. Years later I was told that the siren sounds whenever there is an emergency-services call. House on fire? siren. Elderly fall-in-the-shower? siren. Cat up a tree? Siren.

The purpose of the siren is not to SUMMON the volunteers. No, they all have pagers and/or smartphone alerts for that of course.
"That siren tells you to be on the lookout for volunteer firemen rushing to the station so you can get out of their way" I was told by a kindly longtime resident who, appalled by my ignorance, looked at me like I had three heads.

When I was first told this, I honestly thought it was a joke. This nice old lady was pulling my leg, surely.
Nope. Dead serious. Confirmed by others in the room.

That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard (this was pre-Trump, mind you).
In order for this to be effective, the driver needs to [A] be a local, so that they can [B] be aware of this nonsensical policy, and [C] not be in a modern mostly-soundproof car with the radio on.
And, setting aside the nonsensical horse**** above, I don't care where you are or what you can or cannot hear, when you see a car with a flashing blue light you get out of the way. Right?

I later learned the political reality. Years ago when the fire department wanted a shiny new $3M firehouse it became a wedge-issue in local politics. They started sounding the siren at every call as a way to bring attention to just how active they are, and also to give a loud random FU to the town government offices across the street. Then after a couple of elections the offices changed hands and they built a shiny new $10M firehouse, complete with an even louder siren, which they still sound off at every call as an ongoing victory-gloat.

and so I shall continue to hear this goddamn siren at random intervals and be doubly-annoyed by the ****headedness of it all.

peb
05-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Ok, here is my rant:

Last year my daughter got married. It was, unfortunately for me, a rather large wedding. After severe pairing down the invite list, we were still at 240. Ok, budget fit 200 people, but we assumed there would be 10-20% who would not come, close enough. Except for people who RSVP'd for more people than we invited. WTF people, when did this become acceptable practice. We had over thirty people in attendence who were not invited. That's a lot of friggin money. Pissed me off to no end.
This morning, I happened to run into a friend of ours whose daughter is getting married next month. We got to talking and they have the problem in spades. A 100 person wedding venue, and they are already up to 20 non-invite RSVPs. WTF, what the h$&l are people thinking.
My neices got married a couple of years ago and my brother in law is more assertive than I, he sat down one night and started making calls and told them all "no,"

I think this is a new phenomena. Exceedingly rude.

CWSmith
05-30-2018, 08:57 AM
Men who insist on "helping" when they see this old gal peacefully going about her nautical business. Happened today. I and a male friend were peacefully turning my boat round, end for end, taking advantage of the breeze and a bit of bow windage, all under complete control and requiring not a word to be spoken between us. Then a boat neighbour - more or less new to sailing - sprinted up and actually tried to take the line out of my hand.

Many years ago I taught sailing at the Annapolis Sailing School (very unfortunate acronym) and we always separated the husbands and wives. That way, the wives learned to sail. We sometimes made exceptions for honeymooners. :)

Garret
05-30-2018, 09:03 AM
Really? Going to a wedding to which you have not been invited? How strange. Even stranger is invitees thinking they can bring whomever they want.

Years ago I went to a wedding of my then wife's best friend from college. ~ 200 people there, mostly business associates of the father of the bride. The bride & groom were allowed to invite a total of 4 friends. She invited us & he invited another couple. WTH? I had a very hard time not speaking harshly to her father.

Figment
05-30-2018, 09:05 AM
Peb... WHAT?

Clarify please. People who were invited as 1 (not 1+) responded as 1+? or people who knew of the event but were not invited simply declared their intent and attended?

Even if those attendees were doubly-generous in their gift to the newlyweds, I think you're being exceedingly kind in labeling it "excedingly rude".

peb
05-30-2018, 09:08 AM
To my knowledge no one showed up that did not RSVP, they were all willing to tell us ahead of time how rude they were.

As to who gets on the list, I had to whittle my friends down to around a dozen. Went out with four of my old friends for a beer not long afterwards and caught a little good natured hazing from two of them who were paired off the initial list.
Really? Going to a wedding to which you have not been invited? How strange. Even stranger is invitees thinking they can bring whomever they want.

Years ago I went to a wedding of my then wife's best friend from college. ~ 200 people there, mostly business associates of the father of the bride. The bride & groom were allowed to invite a total of 4 friends. She invited us & he invited another couple. WTH? I had a very hard time not speaking harshly to her father.

peb
05-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Peb... WHAT?

Clarify please. People who were invited as 1 (not 1+) responded as 1+? or people who knew of the event but were not invited simply declared their intent and attended?

Even if those attendees were doubly-generous in their gift to the newlyweds, I think you're being exceedingly kind in labeling it "excedingly rude".We would invite a couple, Mr and Mrs, without including "and family" and the would RSVP 4 instead of two. We only send +1 invitations to close friends and family who we knew had a serious significant other, yet singles would respond with 2 instead of 1.

The only couple who I don't sort of hold a grudge against was the lady who has cleaned our house for years, and she asked if she could bring her daughter and daughters fiance before RSVP'd. She had a valid reason also, her daughter was marrying a non Catholic, who had never been to a Catholic wedding and was a little nervous about the whole wedding mass thing, so she wanted him to have a chance to see what it was like. Besides, she is just one of my favorite people, and I could never refuse her anything.

But, this is definitely a thing these days, I now know of three weddings that had a big problem with it.

jonboy
05-30-2018, 10:53 AM
I've been to few weddings where the spread has been colossal starting at breakfast at the groom's parents for the blokes, and the bride's for the ladies. Then typically the service late morning and off to the reception. the food and wine and whatever doesn't stop. and just when you think you are going to explode, there is the the 'copo d'agua' at elevenish which is usually a mountain of sea food and suckling pig, and more puddings and more and more booze, usually an open bar. it stops when there's no one left, maybe six in the morning.
Just before the copo d'agua the bride and groom slightly formally line up and every one passes by and receives a little gift, a trinket, or little piece of jewellery or the men get a small bottle of Port or similar. As you receive your little gift you discreetly pass a card or envelope to the couple with typically about 50 or 100 €. Discreet, not like pinning bills on her dress, but the message is clear... 'no thanks we don't want a toaster or another juicer or the fortieth fruit bowl', and the idea of a gift list in a selected shop is seen as extraordinarily tacky and coarse. It is obvious the money is for the young couple but I guess most of it goes to paying for the whole blast.
Seems to work quite well, and allows otherwise less well off young rural folk to have a great day.
I would suspect knowing you are going to have to pay something might put all those uninviteds in their place or they fork out and are welcome.

Figment
05-30-2018, 12:28 PM
We would invite a couple, Mr and Mrs, without including "and family" and the would RSVP 4 instead of two. We only send +1 invitations to close friends and family who we knew had a serious significant other, yet singles would respond with 2 instead of 1.

yeah.... that's when the member of the family who's the closest-connection to the invitee picks up the phone for a chat that starts out polite but then gets very direct.

Paul Pless
05-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Really? Going to a wedding to which you have not been invited? How strange.

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/mf_image_16x9/public/weddingcrashers.png?itok=wF6sOeZJ&resize=1100x619

Garret
05-30-2018, 01:01 PM
I knew I could count on you!

Flying Orca
05-30-2018, 01:09 PM
If I was planning a wedding, I wouldn't issue single invitations, period. But if my sweetie received a single invitation, I'd be relieved; I don't like dressing up, and until I upgraded my kilt outfit to "formal" for a dear friend's wedding last year, I hadn't done so for nearly thirty years.

Fortunately, weddings in my circles tend to be inexpensive, smallish, informal, and fun.

peb
05-30-2018, 01:12 PM
yeah.... that's when the member of the family who's the closest-connection to the invitee picks up the phone for a chat that starts out polite but then gets very direct.Yea, I admit I am a wimp when it comes to confratations like this. The problem was, most of these invite was someone who was in some form or fashion, close to someone in the family. I will give you an example, a lose friend who literally brings homemade cookies to our house for every birthday. They are God parents to one of our sons, we are God parents to one of theirs. We invite the couple, they have 5 adult children. They RSVP for 5. And then she saw us at mass the following Sunday and proceeds to tell us how excited she and her daughters are for the wedding.
We did make a couple of those calls, but in general, not many.

Breakaway
05-30-2018, 01:15 PM
People who drive down a two lane road and drive about 3 mph so that they can window shop or sight see. Pull the eff over or get on your right foot!

Kevin

CK 17
05-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Ok, here is my rant:

Last year my daughter got married. It was, unfortunately for me, a rather large wedding. After severe pairing down the invite list, we were still at 240. Ok, budget fit 200 people, but we assumed there would be 10-20% who would not come, close enough. Except for people who RSVP'd for more people than we invited. WTF people, when did this become acceptable practice. We had over thirty people in attendence who were not invited. That's a lot of friggin money. Pissed me off to no end.
This morning, I happened to run into a friend of ours whose daughter is getting married next month. We got to talking and they have the problem in spades. A 100 person wedding venue, and they are already up to 20 non-invite RSVPs. WTF, what the h$&l are people thinking.
My neices got married a couple of years ago and my brother in law is more assertive than I, he sat down one night and started making calls and told them all "no,"

I think this is a new phenomena. Exceedingly rude.
Whenever I check into a hotel for a weekend layover I always check to see if there are any weddings on the schedule. :D

Garret
05-30-2018, 01:40 PM
People who drive down a two lane road and drive about 3 mph so that they can window shop or sight see. Pull the eff over or get on your right foot!

Kevin

You mean New Yorkers coming to Vermont as Leaf Peepers? ;)

As a contrast: people who drive down a small road & don't get that farm vehicles & animals have the right of way. It's even worse when they start honking at a herd of cows crossing the road. That sure makes the farmer's work easier & speeds thing up tremendously! [sarcasm off]

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Radio Four - in the UK this is a sort of NPR for half awake adults.

I have acquired a bad habit - I have this tuned in overnight witter away in the background while I sleep - which is usually OK but....

Every now and then, in the middle of the night, when it is least ecpected, it dissolves into schools radio - and we get 1950s style Music and movement

thus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bCyo_zPoAE

barstewards.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-30-2018, 02:36 PM
OTOH

Now and again it produces magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPIkjI1xNc

Sky Blue
05-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Look on the bright side. It could switch into a Farage monologue. Very restful indeed. Sweet Dreams!

Figment
06-01-2018, 10:44 AM
About a year ago, I find myself at a red light behind a TR6 with crazy negative camber on the left rear wheel.
Wow, how can he not FEEL that going down the road?
I know it's a long light, so I get out and walk up and draw the driver's attention to it. He says something to the effect of "yeah, waiting for parts". Ok, buddy, go easy.

Yesterday I'm behind him again... just another asshole who thinks he's only endangering himself.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1786480.jpg

Breakaway
06-01-2018, 10:47 AM
You mean New Yorkers coming to Vermont as Leaf Peepers? ;)

Yep, and Vermonters coming to Long Island looking for the ocean.;)

Kevin

Garret
06-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Yep, and Vermonters coming to Long Island looking for the ocean.;)

Kevin

Touche!

Figment
09-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Vegan food products using meat language on the packaging. WTF? As our dear Amish Rob phrased it, it seems odd to ditch meat and make food imitating meat.

I'm a fan of whole foods' sonoma chicken salad. They also sell a vegan version. The label is exactly like the actual chicken salad, but with the word "vegan" in smaller type in the corner of the label. In my haste to finish the shopping and get home to start dinner, I've grabbed this abomination a few times.

1. The packaging and shelving location should clearly distinguish between the two, because....
2. IT'S CRAP. seitan-sponge-chunks do not taste or feel like chicken, nor are they nutritionally similar.
3. There is no such thing as "vegan chicken salad". If it's vegan, there's no chicken, if there's chicken it ain't vegan.

Where's the Truth In Advertising police when you need them?

Rum_Pirate
09-13-2018, 08:10 AM
The forum attitude maxim:

"People that do anything (or post anything) that I don't agree with - should be executed". :dLOL:d

skuthorp
09-13-2018, 08:12 AM
…………or at least waterboarded………… Less paperwork It seems RP.

skuthorp
09-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Mine is, my wife's 'new' car. Demonstrator supposedly…… but no….. there seems to be a previous owner that somehow returned it at about 3.5klms.
It's lovely when it goes but then it stops……. and won't go. 3 times now, fuel problem. #1 reprogrammed the car's computers, lasted overnight with 4 starts and then stop. #2 at the dealers 2 weeks, new imported fuel pump, back a few days with 7 or 8 starts, then stop. #3 being towed back to the dealer tomorrow with same problem.

Several thoughts come to mind. Lemon, legally 'Not fit for purpose', and unsafe seeing it has that annoying engine stop/start thingamy, you can turn it off, but every time the engine stops, it comes back on.
I will be having a serious talk with the dealership tomorrow, wife has no confidence in the car and neither do I.

Stiletto
09-13-2018, 09:33 PM
Mine is, my wife's 'new' car. Demonstrator supposedly....
I will be having a serious talk with the dealership tomorrow, wife has no confidence in the car and neither do I.

What Brand?

LeeG
09-13-2018, 09:41 PM
people who use bungies and ratchet straps to tie down canoes and kayaks on roofs and in trucks.

This is what you should be using.

https://richmedia.ca-richimage.com/ImageDelivery/imageService?profileId=12029824&imageId=60003_02_Group_103017&recipeQuality=60&recipeWidth=500&recipeHeight=500

or learn a bowline and truckers hitch gd it!

Garret
09-14-2018, 07:06 AM
While I get the bungies - what's wrong with ratchet straps as long as you adjust the tension properly? I find the cam straps loosen up after a while.

skaraborgcraft
09-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Mine is, my wife's 'new' car. Demonstrator supposedly…… but no….. there seems to be a previous owner that somehow returned it at about 3.5klms.
It's lovely when it goes but then it stops……. and won't go. 3 times now, fuel problem. #1 reprogrammed the car's computers, lasted overnight with 4 starts and then stop. #2 at the dealers 2 weeks, new imported fuel pump, back a few days with 7 or 8 starts, then stop. #3 being towed back to the dealer tomorrow with same problem.

Several thoughts come to mind. Lemon, legally 'Not fit for purpose', and unsafe seeing it has that annoying engine stop/start thingamy, you can turn it off, but every time the engine stops, it comes back on.

Yeah, what is it? Was that why it was bought back before i wonder? Lemon by the sound of it and certainly not fit for purpose. 8 years of ownership and the better halfs car has just blown another headlight bulb....thats 3 in total, but its the only thing that has ever gone wrong with it.....i can live with that.

LeeG
09-14-2018, 10:26 AM
While I get the bungies - what's wrong with ratchet straps as long as you adjust the tension properly? I find the cam straps loosen up after a while.

I have seen too many crunched hulls w them. I do not like s hook attachments. If for some reason the load loosens the s hook unhooks. They take a lot longer to attach. If a cam strap is loosening it’s either too old or it wasn’t secure to begin with. With a cam strap I can adjust the tension with better precision. Ratchet straps are great for non-compressible loads like lumber and ladders.

oznabrag
09-14-2018, 10:40 AM
'Begging the question'.

Ugh.

amish rob
09-14-2018, 11:31 AM
And another thing... how about that airline food? Am I right?

Is that still a thing? I don’t know.

Generally I am too busy raving to rant much.

Peace,
Blahblahblah

LeeG
09-14-2018, 12:41 PM
And another thing... how about that airline food? Am I right?

Is that still a thing? I don’t know.

Generally I am too busy raving to rant much.

Peace,
Blahblahblah

No old curmudgeon club for you

Garret
09-14-2018, 01:25 PM
I have seen too many crunched hulls w them. I do not like s hook attachments. If for some reason the load loosens the s hook unhooks. They take a lot longer to attach. If a cam strap is loosening it’s either too old or it wasn’t secure to begin with. With a cam strap I can adjust the tension with better precision. Ratchet straps are great for non-compressible loads like lumber and ladders.

We'll need to agree to disagree :)

Now someone needs to rant about that phrase!

sandtown
09-14-2018, 02:27 PM
White women who voted for Trump.

(Our black sisters did not)

skuthorp
09-14-2018, 03:43 PM
GM product made in central europe.
They finally agree with me, car's computer. Replacing most of it concerning fuel supply, we'll see. Consumer protection has teeth here and "not fit for purpose'' as a phrase makes 'em nervous.

https://s3.caradvice.com.au/thumb/480/240/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2017-holden-astra-r-27.jpg

The possibility of a previous private owner being explored by the dealer, it's not on his paperwork he says.

LeeG
09-14-2018, 07:59 PM
We'll need to agree to disagree :)

Now someone needs to rant about that phrase!

heck as long as someone knows how to use what they have that’s what matters.

normil
09-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Why is it that renters, lodgers, boarders etc feel the need to arrive and depart their lodgings at all hours of the day and night, at excessive speed in deliberately noisy vehicles?

Maybe the huckery sheilas (fugly chicks) should find some celebrity to sue for not​ groping them? It's discrimination ya know

Phil Y
09-18-2018, 06:27 AM
OK the cautionary tales about woodworking injuries are all good reminders, and it's OK to share your various illnesses and ailments here, we're here to help. But pictures? If I want to see blood and gore and smashed body parts and foul pox I'll go to a butcher. Please spare us. Makes me sick. Literally.

skuthorp
09-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Car not fixed yet. Parts. Maybe friday? Hopeful but have contacted consumer affairs…………..just in case.:arg

The Bigfella
09-18-2018, 07:02 AM

My brother had the same problem with a brand new Suzuki 1000 bike, decades ago. Turned out to be a bit of cardboard in the fuel filler cap that blocked the breather hole. As fuel was used, a vacuum built up in the tank and it eventually stopped. Finally solved it when we heard the hiss of air entering the tank as the cap came off. Incredibly frustrating... and so simple in the end

pkrone
09-18-2018, 08:05 AM
I'm sick of people who feel compelled to keep their phone on speaker in public places. I really don't want to have to listen to your conversation while I'm buying groceries. What the hell is wrong with people?

Whew. Thanks for the thread. I feel better now. |;)

Garret
09-18-2018, 08:11 AM
I'm sick of people who feel compelled to keep their phone on speaker in public places. I really don't want to have to listen to your conversation while I'm buying groceries. What the hell is wrong with people?

Whew. Thanks for the thread. I feel better now. |;)

That is an annoying one! Probably a corollary to "Hang up & drive!"

Figment
09-18-2018, 08:16 AM
I'll admit I'm an occasional offender in that regard.
When I'm dispatched on an errand to "get the one in the blue bottle" and I arrive to find seven blue-bottled options, I go straight to FaceTime to play a lovely round of "is THIS the one? ok how about THIS one?"

A joy to all those nearby, I'm sure.

leikec
09-18-2018, 09:35 AM
https://thingsfatpeoplehate.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/fat_boat.jpg

The state of boating in Missouri...

Jeff C

wizbang 13
09-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Macho Truck drivers body language. Cars guys do it too I recon.
That thing they do , draping their left hand over the steering wheel.
( do they not realize the airbag will cause them to hit themselves in the face?)

skuthorp
09-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Car: Still waiting…..12 days………. Consumer Affairs have been notified…………...

bob winter
09-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Air Canada. Idiots. Flying Westjet this year.

Ted Hoppe
09-23-2018, 12:25 AM
Paying for a carry on on a euro commuter... 49 euros for a backpack!!! Meanwhile the woman besides me has a purse 2x my backpack and has no charge! Argh!!!!

downthecreek
09-23-2018, 01:39 AM
The ridiculous refusal to use the present continuous tense in relation to the verbs "to sit" and "to stand". I suspect this particular bit of silliness has not reached America, but it is now almost universal on this side. Even on Aunty Beeb.

I am stood on the corner, watching the parade
I am sat in the park, watching the birds

For heaven's sake! Used in the present, these are the passive forms of these verbs and refer to a past action. Are you a cardboard cutout that someone has stood on the corner!?? Did some kindly park keeper find you wandering about and conduct you to a seat!? Humph!

Language evolves. I'm all for that. But not when the changes blunt its precision and muddy its meaning.

skuthorp
09-23-2018, 02:19 AM
English certainly has evolved…………..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaEGU45lKA

PeterSibley
09-23-2018, 02:37 AM
My brother had the same problem with a brand new Suzuki 1000 bike, decades ago. Turned out to be a bit of cardboard in the fuel filler cap that blocked the breather hole. As fuel was used, a vacuum built up in the tank and it eventually stopped. Finally solved it when we heard the hiss of air entering the tank as the cap came off. Incredibly frustrating... and so simple in the end

I had a similar problem with my Hilux diesel ute. It would just stop, then restart and drive . Obviously a fuel problem and the culprit ended up being a bit of plastic label that somehow over the vehicle's life had got into the fuel tank.Every now and then it would be sucked onto the outlet pipe and she would stop, then slide off and away I'd go! Annoying.

oznabrag
09-23-2018, 03:31 AM
I had a similar problem with my Hilux diesel ute. It would just stop, then restart and drive . Obviously a fuel problem and the culprit ended up being a bit of plastic label that somehow over the vehicle's life had got into the fuel tank.Every now and then it would be sucked onto the outlet pipe and she would stop, then slide off and away I'd go! Annoying.

Similar problem with '98 Ford 3/4 ton.

At some point water got into the gas tank, and caused the paper pre-filter to partially disintegrate.

The previous owner removed the water, but sometimes a flap of the filter would cover the inlet on the fuel pick-up, and she'd just shut down.

Maddening mystery!

PeterSibley
09-23-2018, 03:37 AM
The local garage solved it for me and in case similar rubbish ever got into the tank again extended the outlet pipe with a length of perforated steel tubing.It will be difficult to block now.

Garret
09-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Craig's List car buyers: I want to come look at your car Weds. night, but first can you check a few things for me as I have a long drive? Several emails later "I'm definitely interested. I'll be up tonight" Conversation with wife in the background about the best day then "Yep - tonight". 6 hours later: "My wife has to work, could we do it Sunday? This is exactly the car I'm looking for". "Sure" I say. 2 other emails come in, but I (being too damn nice) tell them that I have a guy coming Sunday, and will let them know then.

Sunday @ 9AM: email comes in "I bought another car, so I won't be coming to look at yours".

Haven't heard from the other 2. He seemed like a decent guy...

Rum_Pirate
09-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Craig's List car buyers: I want to come look at your car Weds. night, but first can you check a few things for me as I have a long drive? Several emails later "I'm definitely interested. I'll be up tonight" Conversation with wife in the background about the best day then "Yep - tonight". 6 hours later: "My wife has to work, could we do it Sunday? This is exactly the car I'm looking for". "Sure" I say. 2 other emails come in, but I (being too damn nice) tell them that I have a guy coming Sunday, and will let them know then.

Sunday @ 9AM: email comes in "I bought another car, so I won't be coming to look at yours".

Haven't heard from the other 2. He seemed like a decent guy...
At least he told you he bought another car (closer to him?) and didn't leave you hanging.

Garret
09-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Didn't leave me hanging? He left me hanging for 4 days & may well have made me miss other buyers.

bluedog225
09-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Home depot-can you sell brush spinners? Lock tite sticks? A half sheet of sheetrock for less than the price of a full sheet? Star board? True 16d hdg common nails? Metric anything? Can you come anywhere close to amazon on stainless?

Ted Hoppe
09-24-2018, 08:08 AM
I had to cut my trip short....flew all night in cattle car coach to work this morning for a special request... Jet lag and Octoberfest does not mix.

lupussonic
09-24-2018, 09:22 AM
I am constantly deeply disappointed and frustrated that the lowly physical world can never keep up with the speed of my mind.

When I have a great idea, why can I just not make it so?

amish rob
09-24-2018, 09:25 AM
I am constantly deeply disappointed and frustrated that the lowly physical world can never keep up with the speed of my mind.

When I have a great idea, why can I just not make it so?

See? Shoulda been born over here. We’re exceptional, and we have no idea things can’t or shouldn’t be done. :D

Peace,
Very Happy Most Of My Ideas Stay Ideas :)

lupussonic
09-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Ok, rant number 2 for today.

We all require shelter from the elements, and possibly some space to relax and further our interests, and perhaps raise our families. i.e a house / apartment.

But the world is geared to make that essential component of life the most unattainable thing in the world. To achieve such a basic necessity most people sacrifice 90% of their lifetime doing stuff they really would rather not, and enslave themselves to unimaginable debt they are forever on the mouse-wheel to climb out of.

How are we supposed to evolve spiritually and move forward as beings when we spend most of our time juggling jobs and banks and BS just trying to stay out of the weather?

It's insane.