Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharpiefan
    Pro-metric Space Cadet
    • Aug 2013

This Twisted Squid Is Unlike Any We've Seen Before, And Scientists Are Excited

IMAGE: (NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research)

Excerpt
    Squids are some of the most uncanny ocean animals we see. They're twisty, and strange, and have cephalopod cunning. And now marine biologists have found a squid unlike any they've seen before.

The crew of the NOAA's research vessel Okeanos Explorer spotted the creature deep under the waves of the Gulf of Mexico, in the mesopelagic zone at a depth of around 850 metres (2,790 feet).

It was coasting along in a highly unusual pose, its tentacles folded back in what resembled a defensive posture, but to an extreme degree - so that it looked almost completely unlike a squid at all.

"My first reaction was, 'What in the hell was that?'," NOAA biologist Mike Vecchione told National Geographic.

"It didn't look like any squid I had seen, until we started getting close and the animal started rotating around."
    This Twisted Squid Is Unlike Any We've Seen Before, And Scientists Are Excited (ARTICLE LINK)

#include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Re: This Twisted Squid Is Unlike Any We've Seen Before, And Scientists Are Excited

Another great Band Name surfaces...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• purri
      • Sep 2009

Re: This Twisted Squid Is Unlike Any We've Seen Before, And Scientists Are Excited

aka Twisted Sister?
      Xanthorrea

Comment

• David W Pratt
        • May 2005

Now, we have to meld this with the twisted fid thread, and possibly Nikolas Cruz, the twisted kid...

Comment

• sharpiefan
          Pro-metric Space Cadet
          • Aug 2013

Twisted Squidster

Hope the voyage is a long one.
          May there be many a summer morning when,
          with what pleasure, what joy,
          you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
          (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Comment

• JayInOz
            • Nov 2009

Must be a young'un- looks like he's still waiting for his tentacles to drop. JayInOz

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
              obnoxiously persistent.
              • Jan 2005

It's covering its eyes against the glare of the photographer's lights.
              Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM.
              I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Rob Hazard
                • Sep 2003

That's what I was thinking, too, but why wouldn't it just swim away?

Comment

Working...