PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished surfaces

Colin Burt
03-31-2005, 07:53 PM
I am fixing up a 22 foot fiberglass sheathed Plywood sloop that I got through the free section of the woodenboat classifieds. Much of the interior surfaces of the plywood and bare. I was thinking of painting or treating with oil mix all that I could get at, how much work should I put in to it? Allot of the surface is obstructed by the interior of the boat. Is it even much of an issue? The bilge is the same and includes structural components made of solid wood, I was planning on treating with oil tar mix and fill the bottom with tar wax mix the make it easier to clean out. Any thoughts? Am I on the right track or should I be going with different approach?
Colin

outofthenorm
03-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Colin,generally, you wouldn't want to leave plywood surfaces (or any surfaces for that matter) uncoated. Bare wood absorbs water easily and it's hard to keep clean. Can you fill in a few details for us? What sort of condition is the boat in? Is the ply sound? De-lamed? Rotten? Clean, Dirty, Wet or Dry?

Any info on her age or what the design is? Any Pictures to post?

- Norm

outofthenorm
03-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Sorry for all those questions Colin, but inquiring minds want to know. smile.gif
- Norm

Colin Burt
04-01-2005, 07:22 PM
She is in good shape (with the exception of the cabin), the interior plywood looks like new and is clean, and the bilge is much the same though it is showing it age a bit more.
She is a bit of a mystery. The guy I got her from did not know what she was, someone had told him a “Mystic 22” but he could not find any info on them. Anybody hear heard of them? Built some time in the sixties sloop rigged with aluminum spars, 3 berths, short lead keel that houses a centerboard. No idea how she will sail but wonderful interior. Sorry I was unsuccessful in my attempts to post the pictures I have, they are however with the cabin off so she looks like a large day sailor right now.
Colin

Bob Smalser
04-01-2005, 07:54 PM
I'd look to get in those spaces with a power washer set on low to get the grime out either through the drain plugs.

Then a pump-up garden sprayer with throw linseed-turps-Japan Drier just fine into spaces out of reach.

I like to saturate bare plywood with as much thinned linseed as it will take followed by oil-based paint after it dries. That can take forever if you don't add some Japan Drier to the mix.