PDA

View Full Version : Adaptability

Keith Wilson
04-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Minnesota has a large Hmong population, about 70,000 people who originally came from the jungle-covered mountains of Laos and Cambodia after the end of the Vietnam war. Minnesota, both the culture and the climate, was originally quite the shock, but that was a good long time ago, and the Hmong folks have settled in nicely. So today on Facebook, in the semi-random stuff that shows up on the right side of the page, I saw a notice for a group one can join - Hmong Ice Fishing. It has 3868 members. :DY>

JimD
04-21-2018, 03:50 PM
From this to ice fishing in Minnesota. Such an amazing journey

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/water-buffalo-front-hmong-village-laos-6447865.jpg

Paul Pless
04-21-2018, 03:51 PM
cool thread keith

skuthorp
04-21-2018, 03:54 PM
A long time friend of ours, who spent some time teaching in Australia comes from Minnesota and spent a large part of her career teaching within the Hmong community. She retired recently.

CWSmith
04-21-2018, 03:55 PM
...I saw a notice for a group one can join - Hmong Ice Fishing. It has 3868 members. :DY>

That is so cool!

I have a friend originally from China who learned English in Minnesota. His accent cracks me up every time. He walks over to people and they expect a Chinese accent and out comes Minnesotan!

LeeG
04-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Not just adaptability but connecting to and making good. Last year went ice fishing with my daughter in Maine for the first time. It was kind of like going to the drive in but without the movie screen, and more beer.

LeeG
04-21-2018, 04:23 PM
That is so cool!

I have a friend originally from China who learned English in Minnesota. His accent cracks me up every time. He walks over to people and they expect a Chinese accent and out comes Minnesotan!

When we get a delivery of canoes and kayaks from Minnesota it’s a nice visit. Good people.

Keith Wilson
04-21-2018, 04:52 PM
Actual old-time Minnesota accents like the characters in Fargo (or even Sarah Palin, for all she's from Alaska) are rarer than they used to be, and pretty uncommon in the city. Smaller towns, more often.

JayInOz
04-21-2018, 06:01 PM
That is so cool!

Years ago in Sydneys Kings Cross, a bunch of us Harley riders were parked in front of Sweethearts coffee shop. A Chinese couple were looking through the window and he turned to her and in an uneducated English accent asked "Would ya like a cuppa tea love?" It was like the wrong subtitles for a movie scene- cracked me up:) JayInOz