PDA

View Full Version : Trump Supreme Court Justice

Chris Smith porter maine
04-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Right in Trump's back, guess Gorsuch never signed the loyalty pledge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/840229001

John of Phoenix
04-17-2018, 04:18 PM
Neil Gorsuch sides with liberals to tip decision to immigrant in Supreme Court deportation case

Well, that's one in a row but I do like it.

ron ll
04-17-2018, 04:26 PM
I’ve heard that many partisan judges get a lot more practical when they get appointed to the SCOTUS for life. I hope this is a case of that.

Chris Smith porter maine
04-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Neil Gorsuch sides with liberals to tip decision to immigrant in Supreme Court deportation case

Well, that's one in a row but I do like it.

I agree with one in a row, but this issue is so dear to Trump.

Bobcat
04-17-2018, 04:39 PM
That's the power of a lifetime appointment as the constitution outlines.

Remember that Eisenhower appointed Earl Warren, who was thought to be a conservative. Eisenhower himself later remarked that the Warren appointment was “the biggest damned-fool mistake I ever made.”

Ian McColgin
04-18-2018, 04:53 AM
As Scalia showed in the past, "the void-for-vagueness doctrine" is actually main line conservative legal reasoning. With the exception of Gorsuch, what we see here is how "conservative" justices have abandoned conservative legal principles to get to a right wing conclusion, while "liberal" justices consistently apply solid conservative legal reasoning.

gypsie
04-20-2018, 12:57 AM
As Scalia showed in the past, "the void-for-vagueness doctrine" is actually main line conservative legal reasoning. With the exception of Gorsuch, what we see here is how "conservative" justices have abandoned conservative legal principles to get to a right wing conclusion, while "liberal" justices consistently apply solid conservative legal reasoning.

That is a trend that is not pointed at enough.
How Conservatives at every turn are abandoning traditional conservative values - in fact fighting them.

Not sure why, maybe they are simply standing against anything the other side says. Or maybe there is some identification between 'C'onservatives and right wingism (nationalism maybe?) so there's some currency in being as right wing as you can.