PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for peel ply

DMBryant58
03-26-2018, 11:15 AM
Hello,

I apologize first of all if this subject has been discussed before on the forum, but the search function did not return any results for the phrase "peel ply substitute".

I did find results under "messing about" forum that "uncoated" polyester cloth can be used as cheap alternative but also read this
http://www.adhesionassociates.com/papers/35%201996%20Curse%20of%20Nylon%20Peel%20Ply,%20SAM PE%20%28Anaheim%29%20MDC%20950072.pdf

From Macdonnell Douglas dated 1996 that warns against coated nylon and polyester fabrics being used as peel ply. As I understand it "" refers to release agents or even sizing that may be applied to fabrics used in other applications such as clothing. These minute contaminate may allow temporary lamination that appears sound but will eventually delaminate.

Has anyone had any direct experience with delimitation after using common fabric, even polyester? And how would one know if clothing fabric was coated with sizing or other contaminants? I doubt if the sales staff at Joaans would have technical information like that.

David

tink
03-26-2018, 12:56 PM
I have seen on the net people saying they have used polyester from a dress makers. However an amateur using dress making fabrics is unlikely to have reported down the line they had a delamination and even more so link the fabric to the fabric.

Why don’t you want to use peel ply?

DMBryant58
03-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Well the expense mostly. Now I realize that it is probably a false economy. But I wanted to get query the forum to see what the experiences might have been.

David

Mcjim
03-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Done it on a few things and have not seen any problems with the materials I have used.
Why did I use it? It could be got at short notice.
That said, I don't build aircraft like M-D and sheathing a wood cored dagger board is not too demanding.
YMMV

Mike

JimConlin
03-26-2018, 08:34 PM
I've used dacron and nylon from the yard goods store a few times without problems. I've generally sanded after stripping peelply, and maybe that was added insurance. YMMV .