PDA

View Full Version : A Giant Shark Tooth Fossil Has Been Stolen From a Secret Place in Australia

sharpiefan
03-14-2018, 09:32 PM
A Giant Shark Tooth Fossil Has Been Stolen From a Secret Place in Australia (ARTICLE LINK) (https://www.sciencealert.com/fossilised-tooth-from-a-giant-ancient-shark-stolen-from-it-s-secret-australian-location)

https://www.sciencealert.com/images/2018-03/processed/MegalodonTooth_600.jpg

IMAGE: Western Australia Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions/AFP

Excerpt
A piece of pointed, fossilised tooth, which once belonged to a huge shark that dwarfed even the great white, long sat undisturbed in a remote, secret location in Western Australia.

Until last week. Wildlife officials said the megalodon tooth, believed to be about 1.6 million years old, had been stolen from its resting place in the vast Cape Range National Park on Australia's Ningaloo Coast.

Few people knew the exact location of the ancient fossil, said Arvid Hogstrom of Western Australia's park and wildlife agency, and it is unclear who the thief is.

"It was definitely a secret. ... But it only takes one person to tell the wrong person and we end up where we are now," Hogstrom told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.

"It could be someone who doesn't know what they've taken. It could be an amateur collector who wants to add to their collection, or it could be someone who wants to trade it on the black market."

A member of the public told wildlife rangers Friday that the tooth was missing.

Hogstrom said the fossil was stolen just as his team was figuring out ways to secure it.

"We've been looking at everything from bulletproof glass covers and other sorts of cages to enclose it," he told the ABC. "But obviously someone's got in there before we've been able to [secure it]."

#include [std-disclaimer]

skuthorp
03-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Should be a flogging offence in my opinion.

The word scum get's thrown about here a lot, but there are times…………………….

But then of course if bureaucracy had gotten its act together sooner…………………...

WX
03-14-2018, 10:56 PM
Yeah well at how the Burrup Peninsular rock has been treated.

PeterSibley
03-14-2018, 11:05 PM
Yeah well at how the Burrup Peninsular rock has been treated.

True that, there not much respect in WA.

Old Dryfoot
03-14-2018, 11:11 PM
What was the purpose behind leaving in situ?

JayInOz
03-14-2018, 11:22 PM
I have a couple of megalodon teeth, but mine are only about two inches long. The feller who gave them to me had some the size of his hand, but he wouldn't part with them- and they were collected legally, in America. He had also found quite a few piles of gizzard stones, often the only remaining sign of where a dinosaur had died. They ate stones to grind the food in their crop or gut, the way chickens do. The skeletal remains laying in the open disappear quickly, leaving only the stones that they'd swallowed. And I've mentioned before that a bloke I know wanted to show me a petrified pine tree stump, weighing several hundred pounds, on a rugged mountain top on his farm- we got there to find it had been stolen. Whoever took it had to shift it several hundred yards in steep, heavily timbered countryside, and then get it into a vehicle. Determined bugger! JayInOz

skuthorp
03-15-2018, 12:44 AM
Such thieves steal from all humanity, and that includes State sanctioned vandalism.

I'd bring back the cat. for them.

OTOH, a certain countries administration fomented an illegal action in another country based on lies and a commercial imperative. It caused the death and maiming of hundreds of thousands of civilians and a few thousand of their own countrymen and still goes on. And yet they still walk free?

I'd bring back the cat there too. Once a month, regular as clockwork.

Phil Y
03-15-2018, 04:09 AM
Probably on display in the stateroom of a superyacht, somewhere.

Hallam
03-15-2018, 05:30 AM
I know a spot where you can dive and find a few fossilised shark teeth, known by a local few and the uni's

CWSmith
03-15-2018, 08:37 AM
I have a megalodon tooth, or rather half of one, in my little collection. I really like it, but I'm guessing it's smaller than the one stolen. Mine is about 4 inches in length.

George Jung
03-15-2018, 09:30 AM
'Bring back the cat'..... what is that, exactly? Catapult? Cat'o'9tails? Kittycat?

CWSmith
03-15-2018, 09:39 AM
'Bring back the cat'..... what is that, exactly? Catapult? Cat'o'9tails? Kittycat?

Given the topic, I would make it a saber tooth. As punishment, they should be required to "pet the cat"!

sharpiefan
03-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Given the topic, I would make it a saber tooth. As punishment, they should be required to "pet the cat"!

I like "feed the *hungry* cat". {"Evil-Grin" emoticon}

CWSmith
03-15-2018, 12:11 PM

I like "feed the *hungry* cat". {"Evil-Grin" emoticon}

Well, I was hoping that would be the outcome. :)

sharpiefan
03-15-2018, 12:17 PM
Well, I was hoping that would be the outcome. :)

That's what I figured; I just wanted to stack the deck in kitty's favor. ;)

skuthorp
03-15-2018, 03:39 PM

http://igkt-solent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Cat-O-Nine-Tails-13-TN-300x202.jpg

John B
03-15-2018, 04:00 PM
I have no idea what the laws are here regarding fossils. I've never gone looking for them, but every now and again the news has moa bones or some such turning up.. The only archaeological artifacts or otherwise I've come across personally is a line up of 7 maori skulls in a cave up North. That was when I was 16 and we backed on out of there tout suite. Would I take something I shouldn't . No. Would I interfere with that tooth. No.

Are the laws about fossil hunting in Australia so well known ? You've have to be pretty sure there was an organised theft by someone well aware of the rules to get a flogging or in todays terms , a jail term . Morally if not legally.

Here theres laws against taking a artifact like a maori adze or similar. Interestingly, I do know there's a grandfather clause to a certain date . I don't know what that is but say 1970 as an example . Anything in your ownership before then is deemed safe to keep.
But I don't know about fossil finds.

skuthorp
03-15-2018, 05:21 PM
I have given a large greenstone Maori axe I found in a charity shop 40 years ago to a Maori family here. They would like to take it home but say the state would confiscate it and it would disappear into archives. So it sits in their living room and they seem to genuinely revere it. I have forgotten the Maori name for such items.
I did at one time attempt to give it to the NZ government but I got no reply.

John B
03-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Yes there's that aspect of not so benevolent quasi/or govt departments effectively removing cultural items from circulation and just storing it.
I had family half models of 1890's working boats and yachts lost to me that way.

There was what I regard as near criminal activity here in the 90's( thereabouts). The NZ maritime museum had a drive and took donations of all sorts of maritime historical data and artifacts.Vast amounts of gear donated ..what were often family heirlooms donated in good faith going to the 'best place'.

They then got themselves into financial trouble and had an auction where they sold much of it off to wealthy collectors.
Scumbags.

As you can see that experience left me cynical.

JayInOz
03-15-2018, 10:53 PM
John I'll bet if you raided the homes where "they" live, you'd turn up a fair proportion of those items that somehow missed the auction. I remember my wife being angry many years ago about things going missing from a local museum she was involved in- small items would disappear and members of the public were the most likely culprits- just light fingered petty thieves, but sometimes at item of historical importance would disappear- along with the relevant paper work, journal entry etc. In those cases it was undoubtedly the handiwork of someone in a position of trust within the staff. JayInOz