PDA

View Full Version : N. Carolina - update - cop charged for beating

David G
03-09-2018, 12:54 PM
He's already been fired from the Asheville police force, now he faces criminal charges. I hope he gets slapped down hard. It's cops like this that give the large # of good cops a bad name.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/ex-officer-charged-assault-beating-tasering-alleged-jaywalker-034004257--abc-news-topstories.html

Durnik
03-09-2018, 01:06 PM
'large #'?? these 'good cops' would be the ones who are (not) calling out the bad?

David G
03-09-2018, 01:09 PM
'large #'?? these 'good cops' would be the ones who are (not) calling out the bad?

Yes... there is, too often, a 'thin blue line', us vs. them mentality among cops. A perverse culture, which is only exacerbated by the ongoing, increasing, political polarization and income disparities. That doesn't mean that most cops aren't, in their daily public interactions, working at being good cops. I know enough cops to believe that they are. But they'll also admit that the mores strongly discourage 'outing' bad cops.

Flying Orca
03-09-2018, 01:57 PM
That culture seems to be changing, too, which is a good thing. Once upon a time in Internetland there was a blog called "Cops Writing Cops", which was basically a name-and-shame site for butthurt cops who were given speeding tickets by their "brother officers" (usually from a different force - it seems Wisconsin cops vs Chicago PD was a popular feud). The forum section was eventually shut down after it was repeatedly pointed out that being a cop was no excuse for breaking the law, and shouldn't be a protection from the consequences of doing so.

We've had similar problems here, particularly with cops driving drunk, and the upper echelons have become very sensitive to the matter. Recently, the local brass suspended and later charged a couple of officers who moved too slowly on an impaired driving case in which a pedestrian was killed, and the whole process was supervised by an outside agency. But societally, we learn things like this the hard way - for Manitoba, the hard learning experience was the utter failure of justice when an off-duty Winnipeg police officer killed another driver and the chief of the bedroom community force (a former WPD officer himself) gave the guy enough of a free pass that a conviction could not be secured. We've improved oversight and intradepartmental investigation standards since.

David G
03-09-2018, 03:00 PM
That culture seems to be changing, too, which is a good thing. Once upon a time in Internetland there was a blog called "Cops Writing Cops", which was basically a name-and-shame site for butthurt cops who were given speeding tickets by their "brother officers" (usually from a different force - it seems Wisconsin cops vs Chicago PD was a popular feud). The forum section was eventually shut down after it was repeatedly pointed out that being a cop was no excuse for breaking the law, and shouldn't be a protection from the consequences of doing so.

We've had similar problems here, particularly with cops driving drunk, and the upper echelons have become very sensitive to the matter. Recently, the local brass suspended and later charged a couple of officers who moved too slowly on an impaired driving case in which a pedestrian was killed, and the whole process was supervised by an outside agency. But societally, we learn things like this the hard way - for Manitoba, the hard learning experience was the utter failure of justice when an off-duty Winnipeg police officer killed another driver and the chief of the bedroom community force (a former WPD officer himself) gave the guy enough of a free pass that a conviction could not be secured. We've improved oversight and intradepartmental investigation standards since.

I get that impression too. But slowly, and sporadically, with lots of pushback.

That's one reason I wish for such behaviors to be slapped down hard when they are discovered. Such consequences provide both incentive and ammunition for those pushing for such healthy change.

AlanMc
03-09-2018, 03:07 PM
holy jesus. that was terrible.

that demands a waiver of the cruel and unusual punishment clause. drag those POS's into the street and beat them on live public television(well, not really).

they wouldn't want me on that jury, my guilty vote is already cast.

Flying Orca
03-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Asheville - isn't that BB Doug's patch?