PDA

View Full Version : What would you do??

Tom Wilkinson
02-23-2018, 07:46 AM
I have to make a decision base on this email today. What have we come to?

Norman Bernstein
02-23-2018, 07:53 AM
I honestly don't know WHAT I'd do.

In the wake of the Florida shooting, it is natural, I suppose, to expect a certain amount of heightened paranoia, with rumors of other possible attacks, right after a major national shooting.....

...so there are bound to be MANY false alarms.

However, I have little doubt that more mentally disturbed people will climb onto the trend, and we'll see yet more shootings. We can expect more schools adding more and more armed guards and police personnel on campus, all over the country.

I never worried about my children's safety, when they were school age... but I certainly worry about my grandchildren, these days.

Tom Wilkinson
02-23-2018, 07:59 AM
I'm pissed. Angry that this is even something I have to consider. I'm leaving work to go talk to him now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ranga
02-23-2018, 08:12 AM
Any major assignments or exams happening tomorrow? I'd factor that in it.

Peerie Maa
02-23-2018, 08:16 AM
I am not going to offer advice to Tom, that would not be appropriate.
On balance this looks like a falce alarm and the authorities have done everything that they should, so the probability of harm is low.

It does occur to me that the US is engaged in an undeclared civil war, with no organisation and no aims or objectives, but war none the less.

Having been born to parents that lived through WWII and lived through 30 years of The Troubles both fought on our land there are only two things that you can do:

Write to every elected rep that you can access demanding changes to the law to remove hand guns and any semi automatic long gun, with licensing based on the need to own a gun for hunters and target shooters. Keep on applying all and any pressure that you can.
Keep Calm and Carry On. Anything else and the murderers and their facilitators have won.

Garret
02-23-2018, 08:21 AM
IMO, this is not the fault of the school administration. They absolutely have to take every precaution possible - otherwise they could end up either responsible or accused of being responsible.

If they have the name of the kid, he/she & his/her parents should be having a conversation with the school & the cops. I'd say this is probable cause for searching their home as well.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-23-2018, 08:24 AM
I'd keep my kid home.

Bob Adams
02-23-2018, 08:26 AM
That is about the 7th one I've heard about since the Florida tragedy. The power of the media. As to the question, my child or grand child would stay home.

Tom Wilkinson
02-23-2018, 08:40 AM
I'm not really looking for advise on this. It's more of a question of how would you handle it. What do you say to your kid. I know what I have told mine. I'm really angry about all of it though.

Peerie Maa
02-23-2018, 08:45 AM
I'm not really looking for advise on this. It's more of a question of how would you handle it. What do you say to your kid. I know what I have told mine. I'm really angry about all of it though.

In that case, it depends on the child's age and ability to make decisions. If sufficiently mature lay out all of the known facts (including the harm that missing classes incurs) and discuss the risks and probabilities. Then listen to their opinions and support them.

SKIP KILPATRICK
02-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Tough times, the local news here seems to report these types of scares fairly often.

I have no advice to give you.

TomF
02-23-2018, 08:48 AM
I would send my kid to school, after telling them what I had heard, that I loved them dearly, and that if they chose to skip I would understand.

I would say that almost certainly this is a hoax, but only almost certainly. That the threat is a kind of terrorism, and the best response is to value what is valuable, and refuse to become terrorized. By an actual threat or a hoax - the terrorizing objective is the same, eh? Courage is acting despite fear, and this is an opportunity to attempt it in, realistically, is a fairly low-threat setting. More likelihood of getting hit by a car on the way to school and all that.

But acknowledge the fear, and give permission both to feel it, and to find a way to learn to master it. While feeling compassion for folks who find that they can't - even if you yourself are one of those.

LeeG
02-23-2018, 08:53 AM
does anyone remember bomb scares in the late sixties?

Bob Adams
02-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Same kind of threat just issued targeting a Maryland school. You guys beginning to see why I have my copycat theory?

SMARTINSEN
02-23-2018, 09:12 AM
"Myself and my administrative team"...

...and the author likely a EdD. No wonder the sad state of education today.

Canoez
02-23-2018, 09:14 AM
That would make me angry, too. Seems to be an abdication of responsibility by the Administration. Either cancel school and get a handle on the situation, or make the decision that the faculty and students will be as safe today as any other day in school.

mmd
02-23-2018, 09:20 AM
"does anyone remember bomb scares in the late sixties? " - LeeG

Ayup - lived through that time in high school. It became a game on the part of some fools to call in bomb threats to the school just to see the entire student body troop out onto the sidewalk while a policeman, a fireman and the principal searched for the offending device. That there had never been an actual bomb event in Nova Scotia did not factor in to the equation, other than we students pretty much took it all for a lark. This period of prank calls coincided with the short-lived "streaking" craze, so one of our more irreverent classmates called in a "nude bomb" and then ran through the hallways wearing a beige leotard and carrying a large "Boris and Natasha"-type round "bomb" spewing sparks from the "fuse". The principal found the whole performance as funny as we students did, and was still laughing when he suspended the perpetrator for a day, on principle.

Figment
02-23-2018, 09:27 AM
I dunno if I'd call it an abdication of responsibility. To me it lands more like an effort at transparency. This is what's happened, and this is what we're doing in response, and we recognize that this may or may not satisfy your concerns.

Of course they're keeping the school as safe as they can.
Of course they're investigating and involving the appropriate law enforcement resources.
But there is a limit to what they actually can do overnight, and don't wish to pretend otherwise.

What to tell the kids? I think this depends on the individual.
I know what I've told my son in such situations, but I won't presume to apply it to anyone else.

LeeG
02-23-2018, 09:41 AM
"does anyone remember bomb scares in the late sixties? " - LeeG

Ayup - lived through that time in high school. It became a game on the part of some fools to call in bomb threats to the school just to see the entire student body troop out onto the sidewalk while a policeman, a fireman and the principal searched for the offending device. That there had never been an actual bomb event in Nova Scotia did not factor in to the equation, other than we students pretty much took it all for a lark. This period of prank calls coincided with the short-lived "streaking" craze, so one of our more irreverent classmates called in a "nude bomb" and then ran through the hallways wearing a beige leotard and carrying a large "Boris and Natasha"-type round "bomb" spewing sparks from the "fuse". The principal found the whole performance as funny as we students did, and was still laughing when he suspended the perpetrator for a day, on principle.

We moved from the Central Valley to LA coast in ‘68. My mom was working at USC. Between the riots, assasinations, bomb scares, and canceled football games due to race based fights we got used to the occasional bomb scare but it wasn’t enjoyable. I think the crime stats are better now than then but no comfort for kids already under stress.

Tom Wilkinson
02-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Well, he has decided to stay home today. He was visibly uneasy when I got home. We had a long discussion about the situation and that I felt the best thing to do was to go, but that I would not force him to. The way the information was distributed to the kids made containing and discussing the issue much more difficult. A certain amount of hysteria had spread prior to me discussing it with him.

We discussed the fact that this is now part of our lives. We have to learn to live with it and that we still have responsibilities to attend to. Fear is the reaction that is sought and we cannot give in to that. While there is always a risk the odds are still in his favor even if he attends. We can't let this control and diminish our society. I let him stay home today but we have an understanding that in the future the plan will be to attend unless directed otherwise by school or law enforcement authorities.

My hope is his generation has had enough of this. None of this (talk of arming teachers, guards at schools etc...) feels like freedom to me.

One thing that really makes me angry is he had started a jazz band at school. Their second rehearsal was today after school. This was a big deal to him. We don't know if that will still be happening but I have emailed the principal and band director that I can be home in time to get him to that rehearsal. I hate that he is having to make decisions about whether to do things he enjoys has to be weighed against fear for his safety. What kind of world is that for a 15 year old boy?

mmd
02-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hear that this present form of social insanity has come directly into your home, Tom. FWIW, I think that you handled the situation with your son correctly. It is sad that you have to teach your children how to cope with such fears.

JTA
02-23-2018, 10:41 AM
"What would you do??"
Since the latest Florida massacre, there have been numerous threats to the schools near here. Parents are livid, outraged, and (I think) scared out of their mind.
My wife and I have no children. I don't think it appropriate to offer my opinion on what you should do other than to say, we as a country must elect leaders that will make reasonable efforts to protect children. And, there are no guarantees, it is impossible to make everything perfectly safe.

Jack

David G
02-23-2018, 10:52 AM
I think I would be inspired to redouble my efforts to educate my neighbors on the importance of voting out anyone who refused to enact sensible gun control measures.

Garret
02-23-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm impressed with how you handled this & am so sorry you've had to deal. My best to you & your whole family - this sucks.