PDA

View Full Version : Im checking doors

bobbys
02-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Tales from a carpenter ....

I went to dutch harbor as a union carpenter..

Alaska had a deal oregon carpenters could work there.

If they worked from from bumble bee shipyard and were shipwrights, pilebucks, carpenters.

We built a big building for the workers and kitchen.

I had to hang 80 doors.

No screws came with the barge..

No hardware stores.

Super said you figure this out, just do not tell me.

So i became the islands offical door checker.

I went everywhere and told eveyone im here to adjust doors.

I stood at every door swung it back and forth while mumbling ... hhhmmmmm , this could work a little better.

But what i really did was remove 2 screws from every hinge with my yankee screwdriver.

Everyone thanked me and some said, gee, we never had a carpenter check doors before.

O , i sez you never had one that cared about doors like me...

Hung all the doors, course they all were short of screws, might as well match every door in Dutch.

Jim Bow
02-05-2018, 10:00 PM
In 1968 I took Reeves Aleutian Airways from Adak to Anchorage with a stop in Dutch Harbor. At that time there was an air freight company called Flying Tigers. They had a base in Dutch Harbor. One of their employees had a black P-51 Mustang. He came up and flew formation with our Reeves Electra.

We deplaned so our plane could be fueled. I don't recall the doors to the canteen.

Gib Etheridge
02-06-2018, 01:29 AM
That cracked me up Bobby, still grinning! :arg

While stationed in Portsmouth NH I was the "comshaw" artist for our boat. I finagled lots of improvements without getting caught. A good thing about that was that NO one ever wanted to know where I was. I took advantage of that a few times, kind of like unlimited liberty.

Jim Bow
02-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Is that what the Brita call a "dogsbody"?