PDA

View Full Version : Toilet seat delimma.

bobbys
02-03-2018, 10:44 AM
Im TBC, toilet bowl cleaner.... 2d class.

I have the high honor of this job as if i do not do it no one else will..

I get my rubber gloves, cleaner, put on swing time tunes to get the right motions...

Alas! Thou hath scrubbed much to hard and rubbed the white off to black..

Not a good look, and the wifes high brow frinds are coming over.

Normally i would not care a whit but they are pretty hot . And their poo do not stink..

So my question is..

Do i get one of those big foam filled seats where yer tush sinks way in?.

Do i get a super heros seat for the grand kids.

Do i just buy the cheapest seat and put my NRA, STP stickers on it.

Do i go in the back yard to the TB graveyard and just get a better old one..

Remember, theres a deadline,.

Ian McColgin
02-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Sand and repaint?

Make a nice varnished wooden unit?

L.W. Baxter
02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
I recommend a quick release seat. The kind you can remove to easily clean around the fasteners. Wash the whole assembly in the laundry sink.

bobbys
02-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Lew?

bobbys
02-03-2018, 10:54 AM
I recommend a quick release seat. The kind you can remove to easily clean around the fasteners. Wash the whole assembly in the laundry sink..

You have done this before i see...

Can i run it through the dishwasher?.

My wife sez i cant run my sneakers through anymore?

delecta
02-03-2018, 10:55 AM

Keith Wilson
02-03-2018, 11:07 AM
I'm actually going to attempt a serious response. A toilet set should NOT call attention to itself; it should be as close to invisible as it can be. Nobody ever goes into the bathroom and says, "Oh, Mabel, what a delightful and charming toilet seat!" The best result possible is if they never notice it at all, never even remember what the toilet looks like. Buy a spiffy new one with that in mind.

Breakaway
02-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Clear acrylic. This way when they go in they will not notice it and will complain to you about not putting the seat down.

But then you can point out that the seat IS down.

Have fun!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Robert W. Long
02-03-2018, 11:20 AM

bobbys
02-03-2018, 11:55 AM
I'm actually going to attempt a serious response. A toilet set should NOT call attention to itself; it should be as close to invisible as it can be. Nobody ever goes into the bathroom and says, "Oh, Mabel, what a delightful and charming toilet seat!" The best result possible is if they never notice it at all, never even remember what the toilet looks like. Buy a spiffy new one with that in mind.

Theres thst midwestern practicallity.

bobbys
02-03-2018, 11:56 AM

We just may have s winner......

Canoeyawl
02-03-2018, 12:01 PM
The only way to go.

Trump brand, $14,400 and up.

http://www.strangefunkidz.com/images/content/129674.jpg

L.W. Baxter
02-03-2018, 12:02 PM
I can make you one for half that.

paulf
02-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Carefully stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the porcelain part, so it's invisible, and lower the seat down over it.
Have a camera ready for the first paying customer!!!great fun!

bobbys
02-03-2018, 12:10 PM
The only way to go.

http://www.strangefunkidz.com/images/content/129674.jpg.

Leave yer pol jive out of a great thread, dont go dumping on it!

lupussonic
02-03-2018, 12:23 PM
I just fitted an anthracite sparkle seat, complete with soft close. Getting some good action out of it so far.

Garret
02-03-2018, 12:27 PM
I've become a big fan of the slow closing seats & lids. Gotten way less expensive nowadays.

That being said, I agree on the darn cheap plated bolts. Why not plastic?

The seashell one is quite wonderful, and it meets Keith's injunction about one people won't notice. ;)

ETA: Years ago we only had an outhouse. My then mother-in-law gave us a styrofoam seat for it. Unbelievable! Even when it was way below zero out, sit on it & it'd be toasty in seconds. Certainly easier than the old VT tradition of keeping the seat inside & carrying it with you.

It also made me realize I had a pretty cool MIL.

Garret
02-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Seriously bobbys, do you have a good way of removing hard water / green copper deposits from the water line of a toilet bowl? In the past we always had brand new houses and I kept the toilet bowls spotless from day one. But our current house is a "used" house, and the former owners didn't give a damn about anything, particularly the toilets.

I've been using maroon scotchbrite pads and scouring powders, but with little success. I worry about abrading the porcelain finish off, so haven't tried a pumice stick yet. I tried some muriatic acid, but that smelled horrible and I couldn't keep the solution wet on the deposits long enough to see any improvement. I'm tempted to just install three new toilets, I'm experienced at that, but I know that will uncover further bad plumbing practices of the former owner, and I tire of cursing him out during every repair. Tell me your first class toilet deposit stain remover technique please.

At least your FO didn't install the toilet on top of the tile he installed on top of shag carpet...

Garret
02-03-2018, 12:52 PM
In the master bath he installed a nice marble floor but the toilet is secured with two lag bolts. I presume that they go through holes in a toilet flange and then through the wood subfloor. I really should check for the possibility of rot, but I'm hoping the arrangement lasts until I sell the house some years from now.

Standard toilet install (years ago) was 2 half lags: lag into the floor framing & threaded for a nut on top. So, I'd think plain lags should be OK.

David W Pratt
02-03-2018, 01:11 PM
A nice "Out of Order"sign

Canoeyawl
02-03-2018, 01:27 PM
high brow frinds are coming over.

Normally i would not care a whit but they are pretty hot . And their poo do not stink..

So my question is..

Do i just buy the cheapest seat and put my NRA, STP stickers on it.

Remember, theres a deadline,.

I thought this was BS politics as usual and I made a good suggestion.
And now Mr Baxter has generously offered one at half price. What's $7500 to a high brow today?

The only way to go.

http://www.strangefunkidz.com/images/content/129674.jpg

Gib Etheridge
02-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Seriously bobbys, do you have a good way of removing hard water / green copper deposits from the water line of a toilet bowl? In the past we always had brand new houses and I kept the toilet bowls spotless from day one. But our current house is a "used" house, and the former owners didn't give a damn about anything, particularly the toilets.

I've been using maroon scotchbrite pads and scouring powders, but with little success. I worry about abrading the porcelain finish off, so haven't tried a pumice stick yet. I tried some muriatic acid, but that smelled horrible and I couldn't keep the solution wet on the deposits long enough to see any improvement. I'm tempted to just install three new toilets, I'm experienced at that, but I know that will uncover further bad plumbing practices of the former owner, and I tire of cursing him out during every repair. Tell me your first class toilet deposit stain remover technique please.

Unless you neutralize the acid with baking powder it will eventually destroy your concrete septic tank and distribution box. It is marketed, after all, as a solvent for concrete.

Add a couple of capfuls of the acid to the water in the bowl. Spread it around with a plastic toilet bowl brush several times over the next hour. Scrub with scotchbrite. Flush. Add 1/2 box of baking soda and flush.

LeeG
02-03-2018, 01:31 PM

that’s the one! I saw one at a hardware store in Corta Madera that was clear and liquid filled, you could push the fish around.

Keith Wilson
02-03-2018, 01:33 PM
At least your FO didn't install the toilet on top of the tile he installed on top of shag carpet...EEEEEEAAAAAAGHHH!!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wck5R5H_o-j85BPwsqeQfJwwJpn2ls4Ra-a-kx4LhWwVUN_SgKvsQkau98L0KH73_ZCyJQ=s85

Canoeyawl
02-03-2018, 01:43 PM
At least your FO didn't install the toilet on top of the tile he installed on top of shag carpet...

EEEEEEAAAAAAGHHH!!!
[/B][/SIZE]
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wck5R5H_o-j85BPwsqeQfJwwJpn2ls4Ra-a-kx4LhWwVUN_SgKvsQkau98L0KH73_ZCyJQ=s85

Wait... you're saying that's wrong?
You wouldn't even need a gasket.

NickW
02-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Bobbys

Have you tried Coke Cola? The phosphoric acid in it will dissolve the limescale for you and any other muck there may be. If you don't want to use the real thing, try one of the knock off brands but make sure it contains phosphoric acid.

Nick

hawkeye54
02-03-2018, 03:29 PM

Dave, no real experience with this product, but perhaps try 'CLR' - it is supposed to remove Calcium / Lime / Rust ( I have no affiliation )

Rick

Garret
02-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Dave, no real experience with this product, but perhaps try 'CLR' - it is supposed to remove Calcium / Lime / Rust ( I have no affiliation )

Rick

It's pretty good - but will not do deep staining.

Chippie
02-03-2018, 04:02 PM

Just walk in backwards and don't wipe your Jigger, then with there is no need to upset yourself looking into it.

bobbys
02-03-2018, 04:34 PM

I dont have a problem like that but maybe CLR. , i just use a SOS pad, . Flush and rub fast., we get a black mould looking area near the top but the SOS works fine...

Im on septic so dont want to use anything harsh.

Stiletto
02-03-2018, 06:45 PM
http://yutai.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/toilet.jpg