PDA

View Full Version : Pump talk....Lister?

lupussonic
01-29-2018, 10:55 PM
On a farm where I used to live, there's this pump I've always wanted to obtain and restore. The owner doesn't give a damn about it, and will let it rust away. I think it's a Lister, electric driven. Wondering if it is restorable, and what use it might serve me other than time spent fettling, which on it's own would be just fine frankly.

I bet it's capacity and head are impressive if it was working and reconditioned. Could be useful..too big for my boat as a crash pump though. Thinking stream water supply to a building or something. Just an excellent object really.

No doubt the motor might need serious work. The roof of the pump house is coming down, it gets wet these days but not fully exposed to rain, but it is kind of hidden under a junction box, so maybe not too late.

Any vintage agricultural machinery out there with any advice or experience?

hawkeye54
01-29-2018, 11:01 PM
I have no advice for the rebuild other than to say that I think it would look great after restoration

Rick

Phil Y
01-29-2018, 11:02 PM
You'll need a make and break engine to go with that, and then once you've got them both looking smart you can go to all the country shows and join in the old engine section.

PeterSibley
01-29-2018, 11:52 PM
A nice big ''bulldozer " pump, probably pump to 150 feet.

The motor looks well worth having ,just right for the sawbench.

lupussonic
01-30-2018, 12:24 AM
I think its an H1...but could be wrong. You're in the ball park Peter. Do you use one on your land?

PeterSibley
01-30-2018, 12:27 AM
No, I only have to pump 60 feet up from the weir ,a cheap Chinese electric centrifugal does the job well.

lupussonic
01-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Hmmm my Jabsco clutch pump will push a lot more water than the H1, but the head isn't as impressive.

H1 - 450 GPH at 0 head, 500 RPM. Jabsco 6950 - 1000GPH at 0 head, 500 RPM.

But in the H1's favour is the fact it has no impeller.

I'm not really into the 'show engines' scene, although I appreciate the engines people salvage etc. Just looking for a good working pump for off grid; could get this linked to an engine rather than electric motor, although then float switch options are moot.

lupussonic
01-30-2018, 08:41 AM

Nice when they're shiny.

Phil Y
01-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Just a wild guess but I wonder if a centrifugal pump would be more reliable. I have no basis for that, but thinking there must be some system of non return valves in that one, which will have a way of getting jammed open by debris or sheer bloody mindedness.

Chris Smith porter maine
01-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Duplex even, doesn't look to be double acting, being a recip it should pull very well.

lupussonic
01-30-2018, 06:05 PM
A brief Google says it has 4 valves with rubber washers that let water past them on the upstroke. Double action. That bulb is an air chamber. And it's a reliable robust but slow donkey, with parts available. H2 write up mentions bronze shaft, not sure about H1. Not even sure which H this is. Will visit tomorrow again and take more identifying pics.

Mostly I deplore the waste should it rust into seizing, and eventually go back to the earth. I see the value of it, while its not too late.

Chris Smith porter maine
01-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Duplex = two Pistons double action would mean pumping action on both the top and bottom of each piston, it's old school steam pump speak. I'm guessing the piston seals are leather, cups is the term here,

lupussonic
01-30-2018, 07:55 PM
Duplex even, doesn't look to be double acting, being a recip it should pull very well.

What's the difference between duplex and double acting then?

Sorry I didn't pick up on that earlier, I should have because I only know the term 'duplex' as a type of stainless steel chemistry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_stainless_steel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_stainless_steel)

skuthorp
01-30-2018, 08:07 PM
My father had a business repairing and refurbishing old irrigation pumps along a river. He also collected old pumps, outboards, small engines, mowers etc that had been tossed aside as no longer useful. In the end that business was the big earner, employed 3 and an apprentice, won small business awards. He said that trailer loads of non functioning outboards would be dumped at the gate, most of which just required proper maintenance.
One apprentice bought it when dad retired for the third time. Still going.

Like the look of that pump. Form and function has it's own aesthetics.

lupussonic
01-30-2018, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a satisfying life, maintaining old machinery along a river...thanks for that Skuthorp.

The Lister or any high head pump must have to be very accurately sealed, valves, washers etc with no air leaks. They surely can't prime from 150 feet down to source?

I may or not get involved with this one. Might cover it over with tin sheet, it'll last til I can get to it.

Anyone got photos of old bronze bilge / crash pumps aboard their boats?

This is one of the 6950's I've put back together.

New impeller, gaskets, pulley wheel, bearings, lever, hose-tails etc. The old split washer in the front stub was a bastard to get out, as was releasing the red clutch face from the axle. Other than that it was in fine nick for a 60 year old.

Garret
01-30-2018, 10:17 PM
My father had a business repairing and refurbishing old irrigation pumps along a river. He also collected old pumps, outboards, small engines, mowers etc that had been tossed aside as no longer useful. In the end that business was the big earner, employed 3 and an apprentice, won small business awards. He said that trailer loads of non functioning outboards would be dumped at the gate, most of which just required proper maintenance.
One apprentice bought it when dad retired for the third time. Still going.

Like the look of that pump. Form and function has it's own aesthetics.

I haven't bought a lawnmower in over 10 years. Get 'em from the dump: clean the plug, change the oil, clean the carb, and sharpen the blade. People throw away a lot of perfectly good stuff.