PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Bows Out

amish rob
01-29-2018, 02:16 PM
The last Doodle thread was the last. I came to see if I had any pms, and found more evidence on the thread that Iíve made a good choice.

I have enjoyed this place, but itís time to move on.

I am off into the world to direct my energies and resources to other pursuits than the internet. I just donít really enjoy all the peripheral internet stuff that comes with the territory. I feel lost, and confused here, just like the ďrealĒ world. And, so, like the real world, I feel it best to keep to myself and go about my deeds quietly.

There is still the chess.

I like the chess very much.

My love and best wishes to all. My friends here all have my email, and those who donít, and may wish it for whatever reason can pm me.

I will continue to drop in for a lurk occasionally for the wonderful pictures and music, but Iíll check my pms tomorrow, and again for the last time on Wednesday night, then log off.

I wish you all the very best, and thank you, sincerely, for everything.

Peace,
Robert

P.S. Yes, Iím a (whatever word fits), and a (something else juicy), but Iím sure. Mind made up.

LeeG
01-29-2018, 02:18 PM
bon voyage Robert. Always appreciated the reports from the territory where I grew up.

Figment
01-29-2018, 02:21 PM
Enjoy reality!

Peerie Maa
01-29-2018, 02:22 PM
One of the bright lights on this forum has just dimmed.

You look after yourself Robert.

birlinn
01-29-2018, 02:22 PM
Peace, and good luck with whatever you do, but I am a bit saddened by your decision.
We will never see how you got on with the cyclecar, for one thing......
Phil

sharpiefan
01-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Peace and long life, Rob. Where ever you go, Have Fun!

SKIP KILPATRICK
01-29-2018, 02:29 PM
I will miss you for all your contributions! I hope your self-imposed absence is a short one and that you return soon.

Your Friend,
Skip Kilpatrick

bob winter
01-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear, Rob. Enjoyed the doodles but a doodle should be just that, a doodle. Turning out doodles on a regular basis must be a royal PIA.

I used to doodle but they were totally different from yours and stopped when I sustained the nerve damage to the hand. My signature these days is more of an X than anything else.

If anybody is planning on Barbados for a holiday, the rains are much heavier than I have ever seen them before.

David G
01-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Vaya con dios.

But remember... there have been plenty of folks who have TRIED to leave here, only to be seduced back by the remembered charms of bbbbbbbybs and suchlike. And there's no shame in it. We'll leave the light on.

Phil Y
01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
See ya later. Best wishes.

bob winter
01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Vaya con dios.

But remember... there have been plenty of folks who have TRIED to leave here, only to be seduced back by the remembered charms of bbbbbbbybs and suchlike. And there's no shame in it. We'll leave the light on.

It’s like bloody Hotel California.

TomF
01-29-2018, 02:48 PM
It's like bloody Hotel California.

Ain't that the truth. Rob, we'll be chatting, one way or another. :)

Canoez
01-29-2018, 02:51 PM
:(

John of Phoenix
01-29-2018, 03:15 PM
When you make out this way, drop me an email. I gotta meet you in person, buddy.

isla
01-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Sorry to see you go Rob. Very best wishes to you and yours, good luck with whatever path you choose to travel, and if you ever find yourself in Scotland be sure to give me a shout.

Tom Wilkinson
01-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Well, this sucks.

birlinn
01-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Sorry to see you go Rob. Very best wishes to you and yours, good luck with whatever path you choose to travel, and if you ever find yourself in Scotland be sure to give me a shout.

Ditto here.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-29-2018, 03:39 PM
Or, for that matter, Wales.

Have fun.

bob winter
01-29-2018, 03:43 PM
It seems that the Imperial PM box is full.

ron ll
01-29-2018, 03:45 PM
What is it about “For Life” that you didn’t understand?

Peace back at you.

NickW
01-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Oh Man!

I have really enjoyed your posts, especially your Duck Punt. I hope the skiff works out just as well for you.

Regards

Nick

The Bigfella
01-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Bon voyage Rob.

I've enjoyed your contributions.

Pop back in from time to time, eh?

John hartmann
01-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Wooden boats to sail
Family, friends, adventures.....
Who has time for web?

Flying Orca
01-29-2018, 03:50 PM
I'll miss your contributions, but I have no doubt you'll be living life to the max, whatever you're doing. Cheers!

AussieBarney
01-29-2018, 03:52 PM
We spoke of this. I am bereft.

I have your E. mail.

I cannot thank you enough for what you did and said.

May the Great Spirit hold you in the palm of her hand and protect you and your loved ones.

Love and respect,

Aussiebarney.

L.A Marche
01-29-2018, 03:54 PM
I’ll miss your posts, take care have fun.

hawkeye54
01-29-2018, 04:01 PM
Rob, best wishes to you and yours in whatever you do next - I have enjoyed all you posts here

Good luck,

Rick

PeterSibley
01-29-2018, 04:06 PM
This is a shock Rob but I hope you're just off to build a boat full time. Please drop in occasionally with life reports .

cheers,
Peter

John Meachen
01-29-2018, 04:55 PM
I hope your new direction brings happiness and you find some amusement from watching us here from the sidelines.

Nicholas Scheuer
01-29-2018, 05:02 PM
The doodles weren't my thing.

skuthorp
01-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Take care Robert, but let us know when you finish the cycle car please

Jim Bow
01-29-2018, 05:23 PM
I gots an idea!
Ever once in a while you could send a buddy a Doodle, and the buddy could post it here.
You go off and find quiet.
Peace and Sharpies!

Peerie Maa
01-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Or, for that matter, Wales.

Have fun.

Cumbria is nice too.

Garret
01-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Damn, damn, damn. I really don't want to see you leave. I will sorely miss the punning duels (duals?), the doodles (even if I didn't comment on 'em much), and your genuinely wonderful sense of humor.

Please take care of yourself & maybe post an update every so often? I'm bummed I'll miss the building of the cyclecar - but even more I'll miss your good cheer.

PM me your email if you would sir & give my best to the patchouli gal! ;)

paulf
01-29-2018, 06:17 PM
Rob, I've quit a couple of times. Then, just when I feel i have it beat...John of Phoenix, or Big fella, or Norm or Pless or DavidG,or my neighbors in Seattle and Tacoma or KMac or the Pesky Brits and Canadians and the other "other side of the earthers" and a bunch more say...here paulf...have a smoke.....

That first drag...mmmmm so good!

Yeadon
01-29-2018, 06:21 PM
I haven't posted here for 12 years and will continue to not post here.

paulf
01-29-2018, 06:24 PM
I haven't posted here for 12 years and will continue to not post here.

comon Yeadon...have a smoke...

LeeG
01-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Enjoy reality!

horrors!

LeeG
01-29-2018, 06:31 PM
The doodles weren't my thing.

no, but as doodles go they have a consciousness in the machine.

LeeG
01-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Cumbria is nice too.

different than Cambria Ca. I suspect

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambria,_California

Cambria /ˈkeɪmbriə/ is a seaside village in San Luis Obispo County, California, United States midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles along California State Route 1 (Highway 1). The name Cambria, chosen in 1869, is the Latin name for Wales.

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2018, 06:54 PM
Hmm... OK.

I'll miss you and your doodles very much.

Having said that, I am unclear about why you are leaving us. bobbys comments have driven you away? Really?

I came to see if I had any pms, and found more evidence on the thread that I’ve made a good choice.If so... sheesh....

Bilge Old Timers will tell you that Forumites like him specialize in either driving people off or getting them banned.

Stick around. The good 'uns make it worthwhile.

Robbie 2
01-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Sad news indeed.

Rich Jones
01-29-2018, 07:04 PM
Sorry to see you go. I've enjoyed your presence and this place will be lessened without you.

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2018, 07:09 PM
I hate seeing trolls succeed. :mad:

Reasoning with them is useless. They are not interested in normal human conversation and reason. They are only interested in provoking extreme reaction.

We can react to them or we can ignore them. It really is our choice.

Scot has told me the proper choice is to ignore them. He has told me that several times. I sometimes still reply to them. But I am very, very careful.

Garret
01-29-2018, 07:09 PM
Hey Rob!

Would you have found this on your own?

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?234164-What-a-Relief!

[just had to]

amish rob
01-29-2018, 09:34 PM
I have been thinking about this all day, and I was really amazed by the number and tone of the posts.

But, in light of the insulting, concerning, and reported pm I received from bobbys, I decline to comment further here.

Ever.

Peace,
Robert

skuthorp
01-29-2018, 09:41 PM
I have been thinking about this all day, and I was really amazed by the number and tone of the posts.

But, in light of the insulting, concerning, and reported pm I received from bobbys, I decline to comment further here.

Ever.

Peace,
Robert

Like that eh?

StevenBauer
01-29-2018, 09:47 PM
Sad news.PM on the way.

Sailor
01-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Sad to see you go Rob. Enjoyed much of your banter and commentary.
Why is it that when someone disappears from a forum like this with little to no notice, it feels almost like they've committed suicide and we feel responsible in some small way for their leaving? Shane left a few years ago, you're leaving now. Many others between and likely into the future.
I wish you well and maybe you'll come back to our little community.
Cheers Rob,
Daniel

Garret
01-29-2018, 10:02 PM
Damn again. I wish you wouldn't let one person make you leave - but I understand that you gotta do what you gotta do.

If a PM is what's making you leave, I have 2 words for the sender & the 2nd one is a pronoun.

PeterSibley
01-29-2018, 10:34 PM
You've added a new aspect to your reputation now bobbys.

paulf
01-29-2018, 10:35 PM
Now i have nasty PMs , all from a lie, thanks amish...

Where is all this hippy dippy peace stuff.

I never bought in on it....

here bobbys, have a smoke...

Canoeyawl
01-29-2018, 10:54 PM

Yeah, im mad...

Mad that you are sorry?

Phil Y
01-29-2018, 11:06 PM
I hate seeing trolls succeed. :mad:

Reasoning with them is useless. They are not interested in normal human conversation and reason. They are only interested in provoking extreme reaction.

We can react to them or we can ignore them. It really is our choice.

Scot has told me the proper choice is to ignore them. He has told me that several times. I sometimes still reply to them. But I am very, very careful.

I do wish Scot would just permanently ban them. There are a few that are just so obvious and they do detract from this place.

paulf
01-29-2018, 11:08 PM

Yeah, im mad.

I hate people cussing me out from their moms closet...

Cowards..

However i did try some but hacked and hacked, cannot toke anymore.

Who cussed you out?

amish rob
01-29-2018, 11:41 PM

Speak the whole truth sir, you know the first PM saying im sorry and i removed any posts that bothered you.

As proof you and the forum KNOW i removed them.

I got no responce from you, you just slapped my hand of friendship down.

Then you go out blaming me so others can jump on me like they did.

What posts bothered me? YOU insinuated yourself into some self-invented drama. After you posted about how you could have been something if only you could doodle too, I simply implored you to be happy with who you are. I actually complimented your wonderful life, and you somehow twisted it into my being offended.
Then you proceed to play stupid games with my thread, to make it all about you, after sending me some pm, like I’m not man enough to talk in class.
Yeah, your second pm called me a jerk, and questioned my manhood, you little punk. I ain’t no hippy.

There’s a Chinese proverb, bobbys. You don’t have to pull a cat’s tail. I’ll explain it to you. The cat does all the pulling himself.

My decision to leave was made some time before the Doodle thread, as many here know, and a search will reveal. I don’t delete posts. The simple fact is, your shenanigans were merely the last thing that happened to convince me I no longer wish to put in the effort. Your games with the thread, including feigning some offense I claimed and deleting posts and all that are precisely what I dislike about the internet. Anonymous people feel free to act inhumanly toward one another, like they are permanently on vacation in another town where no one knows them.

More than that, though, and the real reason I decided to step away from the forum, I don’t feel I have much to offer above decks, (you been there? It’s where the WoodenBoat part happens. This is their house you piss in, you know?) and don’t feel I should be down here acting a fool if I’m not also contributing wooden boat stuff. Even plywooden boat stuff. Even lumberyard boat stuff... It’s called giving back, rather than simply taking.
Men do it.

I wish you, nor anyone else here ill will. I promise you, too, you will never meet, and nor have you ever met in your life, anyone who is more of a man than me, buddy, by any measure your tiny vocabulary would allow you to imagine to articulate in your most vivid John Wayne wet dream.

Because I AM a man, I will tell everyone my leaving has nothing to do with bobbys.
Leave the little baby alone.
It is the day after day constancy of the character attacks and nasty posts more than anything. This place is dismal.

I don’t want to be involved with the partisan name calling, nor the Bilge character crap. I’m not a character, I’m a person, and I made the foolish mistake of being open and honest on the internet.

I will continue to check in on the pm thing one more day, then light’s off. I am truly touched by all the new email addresses I have received. The people are absolutely the finest thing about this place, and I owe many here much.

The Doodles abide. They are a habit I have. I will find somewhere to put them and tell anyone who wants to find them.

Peace,
Emperor For Life (Self Exiled :))

pipefitter
01-30-2018, 01:25 AM
It is the day after day constancy of the character attacks and nasty posts more than anything. This place is dismal.

I donít want to be involved with the partisan name calling, nor the Bilge character crap.

That's what did it for me. I check in and give it 5 mins here and there. Best thing I ever did.

This is not the place to grow older at.

Osborne Russell
01-30-2018, 01:41 AM
Keep the faith, bro Rob.

Garret
01-30-2018, 07:52 AM
I'd argue that you have a lot to give above-decks - but I see your mind is made up. Bummer for us.

Tom Wilkinson
01-30-2018, 08:29 AM
I'd argue that you have a lot to give above-decks - but I see your mind is made up. Bummer for us.

Agreed.

lupussonic
01-30-2018, 08:40 AM
This is for you Rob, stay in touch brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie3NinwlX6A

Ted Hoppe
01-30-2018, 10:00 AM
There are more pieces missing in this forum. Some will be left intentionally blank. I am going to miss the space you have filled. I can see what and why of this. I will take the time to reflect on the bigger message you have brought up and see how it stacks up.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4653/26113409138_914f1062b2_c.jpg

Luckly for me - I know there is videos, rides, boats, and adventures ahead for us. We have a warm few days ahead and I've got some miles to ride. PM me when you get a chance.

Spin_Drift
02-01-2018, 01:04 PM
So very, very sorry to see you leave, Robert.

Henning 4148
02-01-2018, 03:05 PM
Live long and prosper. Fair winds and godspeed. He who doesn't leave can not return.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-01-2018, 03:09 PM
From one who has already left for the most part... best wishes. My feelings on what went wrong here are well known, and I have expressed blame as well. No need to repeat it.

Dave Hadfield
02-01-2018, 06:53 PM
You'll be back. Because you are liked here.

See ya.