PDA

View Full Version : itunes replacement

ron ll
01-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Like many others, I think iTunes for Windows is one of the worst pieces of software I have ever had to use. But I keep it to keep my music library and back up my iphone. This morning Gizmodo mention several worthwhile replacements which seem to have come of age. The one that caught my eye is Media Monkey. Does anyone here use this or any other iTunes for Windows replacement?

CWSmith
01-29-2018, 01:41 PM
I'm old fashioned. I buy the CD and rip it to my computer. From there I put the files wherever I want to use them.

I am a dinosaur, but iTunes and the others won't push me around with their changes.

Flying Orca
01-29-2018, 03:32 PM
I do the same. The thing that keeps me tethered to iTunes, bletcherous as it is on Windows, is iTunes Match. This does two things:

1) scan all my ripped CDs, and if a higher-quality rip exists in the cloud, download it to my main library in place of my lower-quality rip; and

2) allow me to access my library from five devices. (I actually only use three - my home machine, my work machine, and my phone.)

If I could do all that with another application, I'd be happy to ditch iTunes, but I'm sticking with it for now.

ron ll
01-29-2018, 03:38 PM
I think Monkey Media might do all that, it is pretty full featured although I haven’t tried it yet, just reading about it. There are several others in this Gizmodo article, “7 AppsYou Should Dutch iTunes For”.

https://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/7-apps-you-should-ditch-itunes-for-1822279265

Flying Orca
01-29-2018, 03:56 PM
From what I'm seeing, they only support streaming at home. I'm looking to access my entire collection (over 140 GB, nearly 23,000 songs) from work and from my phone.