PDA

View Full Version : Apple Watch Road Test Review

Joe (SoCal)
01-29-2018, 01:08 PM
So, I've been using the Apple Watch III for a couple of weeks and this is my pro's and cons.

Let me start with the cons.

1) Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the design of the watch: its square, black and bulky.
2) One of the most annoying features of the design is there is no mode that leaves the watch face on always. For me a watch is metaphorically and literally about having time on your wrist. I like having a real timepiece and I even like the "look" of a moving clock face for other people to see what time it is. As it is now you HAVE to turn your wrist to "Activate" the watch. No doubt this is to conserve battery life, which is AMAZING , more about that later.
3) The watch is not a substitute for the phone. I thought this was going to be like a small iPhone on my wrist - Nope !
4) While the few native apps are AMAZING there is virtually no third party apps. Simple ones like Facebook do not exist.
5) While you do get notifications on things like Facebook, Google Voice, Google maps etc most of them you can not reply too. Exception Google voice Texts you can
6) No C&P WTF is up with that you can't C&P anything it's like living with an iPhone circa 2007.
7) Emails are mostly titles and a few lines of text since most emails are rich format the watch simply can't produce that level. So you are stuck going to your phone. Most emails you can't even respond to on the watch.

Pro's

1)it's a decent watch and I've missed having a timepiece on my wrist.
I have learned to use it for what it is and not what I want it to be. Basically it cuts down on my grabbing my phone to check things that go bling all day. I can glance at my watch and decide if it's important or not. So it saves a lot of reaching for the phone.

2) I like the ability to change faces and changing bands, I have several that fit my mood or dress. I beautiful stainless steel mesh with magnetic closure called the Milanese band. I use the chronograph face with that one. The grey sports band, that comes with the watch. I have to say the rubbery sports band is just about the most comfortable watch band I've ever had. It's kinda like a croc shoe material, very supple and, a bight orange band that I use the animated floral face with and it's just fun. The band changing system works great. The whole click and replace bands is remarkable simple and just one of those Apple design things that they got so right.

3) The battery life is AMAZING !!!!! I wear it for 2-3 days 24hrs a day with lots of fidgeting with it and it still has lots of battery life. I have a nice stand that the watch magnetic charger and my iPhone sit on. Also charging is FAST I can put it on the charger for an hour and it's charged 100%

4) Siri is AMAZING on the watch. No it's like 1,000 better on the watch than it is on my iPhone I don't know why but when I use it to speak text it gets it right so much better. It's great when you get a text and don't have to pull your phone out and you can just reply with your voice to your wrist.

4) Texting - the Apple watch has really made my texting life way better. I can drive and text, hands at 2-10 on the steering wheel tilt my watch see text and respond simply by speaking. Never taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road.

5) It opens things, I have passcodes on my laptops, but if I'm wearing my watch I get a little tap on my wrist as I open the laptop and it automatically opens the computer.

6) Apple pay. Yea I've used it on my phone all the time but nothing is cooler than swiping your watch at checkout :)

7) Ping my phone - there is a little mode that lets you ping your phone. Really helpful when you can't where you put your phone down and you are trying to run out the door.

8) It's FAST, it has almost no lag so it feels like its a real time watch and apps and connectivity are excellent.

9,&10) Fitness THIS watch was designed for heath tracking. It will drill down on all forms of metadata regarding fitness. Heart rate ( mine is off the charts, especially for my age ) Calories burned, miles waked, ran, biked, hiked. yada yada yada. It truly is amazing as a fitness tracker.

Some photos

Beautiful Milanese band with Chrono face

Grey Sports band with Fitness Face

Orange Sports Band with animated floral face ( changes every time it goes on )

My resting heart rate

Joe (SoCal)
01-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Some of the fitness tracking

mmd
01-29-2018, 01:23 PM
At what point is it just TMI? <wink, grin>

mmd
01-29-2018, 01:29 PM
BTW, Joe, and completely off-topic, Maureen & I went to see the new Liam Neeson flick, "The Commuter" the other night. We were highly amused when, at one point early in the show, there was an indication that the commuter train was gong to Cold Spring where the witness was to be met by FBI Agent Foster...

John of Phoenix
01-29-2018, 01:44 PM
there is virtually no third party appsTHAT'S a stunner. :)

hawkeye54
01-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Joe, nice watch! I belong to the BWB (bare wrist brigrade) - I worked so long with rotating machinery and high voltage that I am not comfortable wearing a watch or bracelet :o. When, I rarely wear a watch, I tend to beat them up and they do not last long.

Rick

Joe (SoCal)
01-29-2018, 02:33 PM
BTW, Joe, and completely off-topic, Maureen & I went to see the new Liam Neeson flick, "The Commuter" the other night. We were highly amused when, at one point early in the show, there was an indication that the commuter train was gong to Cold Spring where the witness was to be met by FBI Agent Foster...

NO Sh*t I'll have to watch it, even though I'm a bit done with Liam gowling on a plane on a train one any commuter transit system :)

Joe (SoCal)
01-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Joe, nice watch! I belong to the BWB (bare wrist brigrade) - I worked so long with rotating machinery and high voltage that I am not comfortable wearing a watch or bracelet :o. When, I rarely wear a watch, I tend to beat them up and they do not last long.

Rick

Oh thats going to be the real test I DISINTEGRATE things on me. Shoes, clothes, & watches. Lets see how this thing lasts with destructo Joe :D

Phil Y
01-29-2018, 03:03 PM
You seriously think that reading a txt on your watch while driving is safe? Christ on a raft the world has gone stark raving mad.

Joe (SoCal)
01-29-2018, 03:22 PM
You never glance at your watch when driving to see if you are running late ? It’s the same thing. The REAL hazzard is Actually Texting (Typing). The watch allows you to talk your text and auto sends it. Eyes on the road hands always at two and 10

SKIP KILPATRICK
01-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Forget 10 and 2: Drive With Your Hands at 9 and 3

We tell you why the old driver's ed wisdom of holding the car's steering wheel at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock has become outdated.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a9343/forget-10-and-2-drive-with-your-hands-at-9-and-3-15851738/

Phil Y
01-29-2018, 03:47 PM
You never glance at your watch when driving to see if you are running late ? It’s the same thing. The REAL hazzard is Actually Texting (Typing). The watch allows you to talk your text and auto sends it. Eyes on the road hands always at two and 10

Sorry, that's just delusional. Checking the time is one thing. Reading text, understanding the message, thinking about your reply. Total loss of concentration and before you know it you are 100 yards down the road with a dead cyclist under your van.

Joe (SoCal)
01-29-2018, 05:58 PM
Sorry, that's just delusional. Checking the time is one thing. Reading text, understanding the message, thinking about your reply. Total loss of concentration and before you know it you are 100 yards down the road with a dead cyclist under your van.

You obviously don't know my texts

Troy - "Mercedes 1:00 pm"

Me - "OK" ( Voice text )

All looking like this

http://ak5.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/14342245/thumb/1.jpg

I should add I've only had ONE accident in over 30 years of driving and that was before cell phones. :)

Phil Y
01-29-2018, 07:52 PM
Last weekend I saw the immediate aftermath of just a moments inatention. I heard the impact, and was first on the scene.
Car vs cyclist. The cyclist is in hospital at the moment, but has a broken neck, broken back, severed spinal cord, major brain injury and is probably going to die within the next few days. So yes, I'm probably a bit sensitive at the moment. But I'm sure some of the txt messages you receive are longer than that. And require more attention. Can you do my dog at 4.30 next Tuesday? At 40 mph or whatever speed you drive over there a lot of ground is covered in the second or so it might take you to read and respond to that txt. I think it's dangerous, and unnecessary. I hope you don't have to reflect on that one day when you've wrecked someone's life.

Joe (SoCal)
01-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Last weekend I saw the immediate aftermath of just a moments inatention. I heard the impact, and was first on the scene.
Car vs cyclist. The cyclist is in hospital at the moment, but has a broken neck, broken back, severed spinal cord, major brain injury and is probably going to die within the next few days. So yes, I'm probably a bit sensitive at the moment. But I'm sure some of the txt messages you receive are longer than that. And require more attention. Can you do my dog at 4.30 next Tuesday? At 40 mph or whatever speed you drive over there a lot of ground is covered in the second or so it might take you to read and respond to that txt. I think it's dangerous, and unnecessary. I hope you don't have to reflect on that one day when you've wrecked someone's life.

So you never change the radio station while driving ? Take a sip of coffee ? Look to the left to make sure oncoming traffic is clear ?

Too Little Time
01-29-2018, 09:05 PM
Situational awareness. There are certainly times when one needs to pay attention, but most of the time there is little upside to paying undivided attention.

And I have been hit by a car and severely damaged.

Knowing when to pay attention is much more important than trying to do it all the time.

Rob Hazard
01-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Is it reversible for folks who wear a watch on their right wrist?

Phil Y
01-29-2018, 10:18 PM
Cheers

Captain Intrepid
01-29-2018, 11:26 PM
I've always thought that Milanese band was a sexy piece of design. From what I've read, you've pretty much got it. Smart watches are primarily for reducing phone usage. I'll probably get on-board in the next generation of two or when they perfect always on displays. I tried a fitbit for a while, but I need something rock solid to replace my gshock.

Joe (SoCal)
01-29-2018, 11:36 PM
Is it reversible for folks who wear a watch on their right wrist?

Totally you select orientation