PDA

View Full Version : A church question

Jim Bow
01-27-2018, 03:12 PM
As I walk around town, I see lots of "First" churches.
First Baptist, First Lutheran, First Presbyterian.
Does this mean they were the first ones in town, or is "First" some type of ecumenical award?

I've never seen a First Catholic. Also I've never seen any "Second" churches.

Ian McColgin
01-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Numbered by seniority of founding and a church does not change if you're say Third Church of the Presumptuous Assumption and the First goes out of business. There are a few where the area grew, new congregations sprang up, and maybe old churches left, where the numbers get well about the fairly common "Second" or "Third". There's a Tenth Presbyterian in Philadelphia and Los Angeles boasts a Twenty Eighth Church Of Christ Scientist.

Perhaps calling any the "First" does appear to be a gesture on sectarian optimism, and there are many many of those. I can't think of any of the "historic" churches (claims to apostolic succession through bishops - Roman Catholic, Anglican, Methodist (depending on mood it seems), Orthodox, and Lutheran. (At least no very common, I have a nagging memory of a First Lutheran somewhere on Long Island from the era of modern architecture Lutherans and that one looked like either a dove in crash landing of a flying brassier at take off, but I digress.)

goodbasil
01-27-2018, 04:00 PM
We have a First Baptist church here.
I was the first Baptist church in Vancouver.
All the rest came after this one.

bobbys
01-27-2018, 04:36 PM
As I walk around town, I see lots of "First" churches.
First Baptist, First Lutheran, First Presbyterian.
Does this mean they were the first ones in town, or is "First" some type of ecumenical award?

I've never seen a First Catholic. Also I've never seen any "Second" churches.

I dunno but i have been asked to leave most of those mentioned .

Tom Montgomery
01-27-2018, 05:21 PM
I've never seen a First Catholic.
Roman Catholics name their churches after saints. No city or town will have two churches named after the same saint. There are plenty of names to go around.

David G
01-27-2018, 06:23 PM
When we lived in New England, my sweetie did Unitarian Universalist pulpit supply. Meaning - she was a 'temp'. Preaching when the regular minister was out. One time, she got a call to go to a small congregation in the far NW corner of New Hampshire. They called themselves something like: The New UU Fellowship.

Following the directions, we pulled into the rugged driveway leading to a modest, but very old, building. Looked like it had been there since before God was invented. Someone mentioned in passing it was the 'new building'. So at the after-coffee I had to ask. "NEW building"??? Oh, yes, the lady said, (and I may not have the precise year right, but close) the old one burned down in 1796!!

Only in New England...

But the convention is as Ian tells it. We have a 'First UU' congregation here in Portland. The oldest, largest, and wealthiest. Beautiful building. Beautiful, huge, organ. I go there sometimes just to hear the music.

CK 17
01-27-2018, 06:41 PM
Do banks work the same way? First national. . .etc.

paulf
01-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Who actually was the first Christian Church...Roman Catholics? Greek Orth... kinda Catholic... Who? Perhaps Baptist..Jehovah's witness, Prods, Mormons...who??

I think the (as the Marines called us) Mackerel Snappers!

Reynard38
01-28-2018, 03:30 AM
Do banks work the same way? First national. . .etc.

If so, what explains this?

https://www.53.com/content/fifth-third/en.html

downthecreek
01-28-2018, 03:53 AM
Following the directions, we pulled into the rugged driveway leading to a modesty, but very old, building. Looked like it had been there since before God was invented. Someone mentioned in passing it was the 'new byuilding'. So at the after-coffee I had to ask. "NEW building"??? Oh, yes, the lady said, (and I may not have the precise year right, but close) the old one burned down in 1796!!

Only in New England...

Meanwhile, in Olde England - New College Oxford was founded in 1379 and thus named in order to distinguish it from Oriel College, which had been established 53 years earlier. |:)

downthecreek
01-28-2018, 03:56 AM
Who actually was the first Christian Church...Roman Catholics? Greek Orth... kinda Catholic... Who? Perhaps Baptist..Jehovah's witness, Prods, Mormons...who??

Not the Mormons, I think. They kicked off around 1830, if I remember rightly.

Rich Jones
01-28-2018, 08:13 AM
Numbered by seniority of founding and a church does not change if you're say Third Church of the Presumptuous Assumption and the First goes out of business. There are a few where the area grew, new congregations sprang up, and maybe old churches left, where the numbers get well about the fairly common "Second" or "Third". There's a Tenth Presbyterian in Philadelphia and Los Angeles boasts a Twenty Eighth Church Of Christ Scientist.

Perhaps calling any the "First" does appear to be a gesture on sectarian optimism, and there are many many of those. I can't think of any of the "historic" churches (claims to apostolic succession through bishops - Roman Catholic, Anglican, Methodist (depending on mood it seems), Orthodox, and Lutheran. (At least no very common, I have a nagging memory of a First Lutheran somewhere on Long Island from the era of modern architecture Lutherans and that one looked like either a dove in crash landing of a flying brassier at take off, but I digress.)
Your nagging memory of a First Lutheran Church is actually Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Rocky Point, Long Island. I drove past it just about every day for many years. My father also referred to it as a crashing dove. It's known locally as the Fish Church because it does indeed look like a fish with tail upraising and fins spread out. Their website claims that it is actually in the shape of an equilateral triangle to represent the trinity aspect of God, the three-in-one. The fish is another symbol for Christianity and it certainly looks like a fish to me. The roof is a very large expanse of copper. Very impressive and very expensive to replace!
As for the name, I'm not so sure it was always Trinity Evangelical Lutheran. When first built back in the early 1960's (I believe), it could have been First Lutheran.

elf
01-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Around here we got a megachurch which wasn't RC a few years ago. (The RCs have been consolidating their congregations into megachurches for 20 years now or so, dismaying their little community congregations mightily.)

This new megachurch started as a First Baptist Church in my town, but when it outgrew its building, which actually looked like a church, it got very full of itself and now calls itself "The Cape Cod Church".

The three Quaker congregations, which date from 1685, do not seem affronted by such arrogance. I think this new Cape Cod church should be slapped down by the Congos and Quakers across the entire peninsula.

Peerie Maa
01-28-2018, 08:33 AM

None of the above.
The Second Temple Jewish sect was the first.

Peerie Maa
01-28-2018, 08:41 AM
Around here we got a megachurch which wasn't RC a few years ago. (The RCs have been consolidating their congregations into megachurches for 20 years now or so, dismaying their little community congregations mightily.)

This new megachurch started as a First Baptist Church in my town, but when it outgrew its building, which actually looked like a church, it got very full of itself and now calls itself "The Cape Cod Church".

The three Quaker congregations, which date from 1685, do not seem affronted by such arrogance. I think this new Cape Cod church should be slapped down by the Congos and Quakers across the entire peninsula.

The Quakers are properly called The Society of Friends. The ain't going to slap any body down.

They should drop "Cape" and be the "Cod Church"
(Irish, slang) a fraud; hoaxer: he's an old cod. adjective (prenominal) 5. (Brit, slang) mock; sham:

Nanoose
01-28-2018, 09:16 AM
We have a First Baptist church here.
I was the first Baptist church in Vancouver.
All the rest came after this one.
GB! You've relocated (I've been gone for a bit). I know some from First Baptist Van; good place.

Nanoose
01-28-2018, 09:23 AM

The first Christian church was actually a sect within Judaism.
The one, catholic (worldwide) church split into the Western, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox around the year 1000ish. The Church of England split from the RC after that, and the Reformation (1500-1600s) was the beginning of the Protestant churches.

Keith Wilson
01-28-2018, 09:27 AM
The one, catholic (worldwide) church split into the Western, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox around the year 1000ish. Earlier than that, actually; the Nestorians (Assyrian Church) and Coptic Christians (Oriental Orthodox) split off in the 400s. They're still around, although not in vast numbers.

Peerie Maa
01-28-2018, 10:47 AM
All this preoccupation with "we were the FIRST".
Should just name them after the street on which they stand, much more informative.

Canoeyawl
01-28-2018, 12:07 PM
The first congregational church of Searsport Maine was built about 20 years after the original church, which still stands overlooking the harbor. Tiffany windows and all.

I don't understand it.

David G
01-28-2018, 12:14 PM
The first congregational church of Searsport Maine was built about 20 years after the original church, which still stands overlooking the harbor. Tiffany windows and all.

I don't understand it.

Ian was correct regarding normal practice. But there mostly is not governing body to enforce the propriety of such appellations. <G>

Rich Jones
01-28-2018, 03:58 PM
All this preoccupation with "we were the FIRST".
Should just name them after the street on which they stand, much more informative. My church, Trinity Episcopal, is located on Church Street so....it would be the Church Church?:d

One of my father's parishes was named the Episcopal Church of the Cross. Some of his mail came addressed to the Cross Episcopal Church. We'd always get a chuckle out of that.